VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

brake lights arent working. brake light switch?

mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

brake lights arent working. brake light switch? Empty brake lights arent working. brake light switch?

Post by mothradeath Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:56 pm

yep. the running lights are working but the lights dont go brighter when brake is applied. stupid question but where exactly is the brake light switch located? under the dash? near the master cylinder? several people suggested it may be the brake light switch. what do you think?
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

brake lights arent working. brake light switch? Empty Re: brake lights arent working. brake light switch?

Post by 61econoline Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:20 am

61-66 econoline brake light switch is located on the rear of the master cylinder
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

brake lights arent working. brake light switch? Empty Re: brake lights arent working. brake light switch?

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:15 pm

The wiring goes thru the turn signal switch,fyi,just in case you need to trace a short.
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Post by mothradeath Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:06 pm

if i disconnect the two wires from my brake light switch and use a piece of wire to connect the two together would the brakes lights light up when the brake is applied? is this another way i can find out if its my brake light switch? its a cheap enough part but i just want to make sure its what needs replaced.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:40 pm

If you have a test light or voltmeter, one wire on the switch should have 12 volts to it,,,,then stepping on the brake pedal should allow the 12 volts to go to the other wire. Then the 12 volts goes up to the turn signal switch and it decides which rear brake light to send 12 volts to. And you also can hook those 2 wires on the brake light switch together AFTER seeing that one of them has 12 volts and see if the voltage gets to the rear brake light bulbs, if not, start tracing down the wiring ,,,,,,,
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Post by mothradeath Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:02 pm

sweet! thanks a ton.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:32 am