VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

dome lights not working, fuse? switch?

dome lights not working, fuse? switch? Empty dome lights not working, fuse? switch?

Post by Guest Sun May 13, 2012 10:32 pm

my 63 cargo vans dome lights arent working, i traced the wire to under the dash and when attached to 12 volts the dome lights come on. i checked the fuses i could see (3 on the light switch. and turned the light switch all the way to the left and wiggled it).

i assume the dome lights are turned on by the light switch knob being turned all the way to the left right?
    and there is probably a fuse somewhere (if so where is it please)

at this point what is the best way to diagnose the problem?

thanks
    Carl

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2011-01-25

dome lights not working, fuse? switch? Empty Dome lights not working

Post by Carl Mon May 14, 2012 10:44 am

My van had the same problem, and a new light switch took care of it. Check the wiring: www.vintage-vans.com/67fordwiring3.html -shows the dome light wiring.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

dome lights not working, fuse? switch? Empty Re: dome lights not working, fuse? switch?

Post by HandiVanMan Mon May 14, 2012 11:05 am

Is your instrument lights working when your lights are on? It could possibly be a fuse. If they are working it is something else. I would suggest that you test the output where the bulb goes with a tester to see if there is any power going to it. You can buy a little tester at autozone for under $10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

dome lights not working, fuse? switch? Empty Re: dome lights not working, fuse? switch?

Post by donivan65 Mon May 14, 2012 3:35 pm

You can check the switch,,,,,it is a little tab that the knob turns and it connects the fuse to the dome light wire,,,,,dome lights not working, fuse? switch? Ford_d10

dome lights not working, fuse? switch? Empty thanks for info

Post by Guest Mon May 14, 2012 7:51 pm

thanks i now will have a good reference to go by
    dont have power at wire from switch to domelight wire
    dash lights work fine
    will pull light switch and check those contacts
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue May 15, 2012 7:32 am

I am thinking the fuse needs to get power to the black dome light wire next to it and they both have tabs under them that the knob needs to push together for the light to come on,,,,they could be dirty or corroded down there,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue May 15, 2012 7:38 am

yea i am going to pull the switch out tonight and look it over
    thanks

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2012 7:26 am

contacts on switch corroded, cleaned and fixed, thanks!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am