VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Dan Scully
Seth G
OutofSight
hometeam
8 posters

oil pressure gauge/need help

hometeam
    hometeam

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2013-01-21

oil pressure gauge/need help Empty oil pressure gauge/need help

Post by hometeam Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 am

i have a 225 slant 6 in my 67 dodge a108

the oil pressure gauge was disconnected upon purchase . the hose was capped off going to the oil pump. so i do not even have a clue as to where to reconnect because oil pump is sealed up tight with no evidence of pressure lines coming from it

i want to install a better gauge with copper line.
    does anyone have pictures/instrctions/tutorial on how i can accomplish this

the oil pump is external and has just been replaced with a rebuilt one so i have a blank canvass.

thanks in advance
    hometeam
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

oil pressure gauge/need help Empty Re: oil pressure gauge/need help

Post by OutofSight Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 am

I don’t have a 6 cylinder, but isn’t there a simple oil sending unit off of the block?
    hometeam
    hometeam

Post by hometeam Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:31 pm

no - a hose goes from the pump to the back of the gauge.

in my situation the hose is connected to gauge and capped off.
    the oil pump is external and from the research i have done is mechanical.

when i purchased van- oil pump was sealed tight with no oil pressure lines going in or out. so i have no point of reference to begin.

i do not want to connect the old rubber line to pump for 3 reasons:
    1- i do not have a reference where to connect.
    2- heard horror stories on rubber lines failing.
    3- old dash gauge is old and if i am going to do this i want a newer gauge with copper lines

thanks for responding.

im just a u.s. history teacher wanting to preserve and enjoy my van

Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:41 pm

Most likely the oil line was tee'd into the block where the factory oil sending unit(for the idiot light) is or should be. Most likely a 1/4" pipe plug there if the sending unit is missing.

The sender will look like this and be screwed into the side of the block somewhere. I'm not very familiar with the particulars of the slant six. If it's there and doesn't have a pipe tee installed you'll likely need to add one to hook up the oil gauge line, unless there is another oil pressure port on the engine.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=44208&cc=1403200&jsn=818
    hometeam
    hometeam

Post by hometeam Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:47 pm

where on the block would the sending unit be?
    is the idiot light the red light on the dash near the ignition?

hometeam
    hometeam

Post by hometeam Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 pm

i looked up the sending unit and saw the same part you posted.
    i have done all sorts of work on the engine and have never seen it anywhere.

what am i missing?
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 pm

It must just have a plug where the sending unit should be.
    hometeam
    hometeam

Post by hometeam Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:07 pm

can any one send me a photo of there oil pressure gauge setup from pump/sending unit to gauge?

maybe with pics i can figure it out.
    Dan Scully
    Dan Scully

Number of posts : 254
    Registration date : 2016-07-30

Post by Dan Scully Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:25 pm

hometeam wrote:can any one send me a photo of there oil pressure gauge setup from pump/sending unit to gauge?

Only pic I could find. The oil sending unit screws into the oil pump. Sending unit might have been removed and plugged . oil pressure gauge/need help 20170710
    Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:05 pm

I am a little confused, just for my own knowledge if you are running a mechanical gauge you would not be using a sending unit but a pipe of some kind ( copper pipe or rubber hose) correct?

It sounds like he needs to tap into a oil pressure port with a tube and then up to the stock mechanical  gauge or switch to an aftermarket electric gauge with a sending unit correct? or am I missing something?
    bwalsh
    bwalsh

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2019-03-22

Post by bwalsh Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:32 pm

hometeam wrote:can any one send me a photo of there oil pressure gauge setup from pump/sending unit to gauge?

I have the exact same van as you, but I'm not sure if I have the 170ci or 225ci engine. I haven't yet been able to get the door open on my new to me van to read the build tag. That shouldn't matter though.

If your van is stock, you have an idiot light above the speedometer. There is no oil line, just an electric line from the sending unit. Here's a photo of the sending unit, in back of and underneath of the oil filter.

oil pressure gauge/need help G_ASyHpsSe9yb6UKfnPYAraFhcWtZ6WZEHSDvrBib3CalFTaBtLBpJYlWBXWL6J51UkoFc7UHTNk4OGCJYeqfexF-rSjwZZjGaX1zOik0G_2WFgiCJyqL3i3_e1fFX7xzntrb6I6snyFpmlgJSSSvGTKhF-V5HOyM5Z1OQHerl4pwtyPrGC94z-MwTOarHcc67a0S8F6x_BItVsWtpCamhUgDRSmV2Q-khjyEe10XGhYHKLAoE45d8dmRZx-iS9nggDWJp9Ip23wnwUVUS4eCXkoYixPGfwQSBfpPzFN2yeX5ECnXVevCZmojwCUBmM53GMc_nOr4CTg7t6DkyVs7x7ir30Zl-VIrvEFDj8QGKsN7CVwja_FXuM9e_0aGRXJ-CPlNrdCGgLN_B3UvknuEjswl9GYkgwUII6kGF3LXYwEWbU6kD99KDH2js78NjfTwDmPYz__N9akmqPKscuGuYL0UXSPo1zFFUrHU-HXHtOdMKuHjbHcAjijEtkOMG3Z-ic3UDBH6XnTAmnYKVamlwgb18egkpp1DA6t1d5jDXt59xvXHhrHezvn4k9Qjv4ev7fcyxT153uPJ-o7SGYVVwXKZrXwXWy85WdjCkswsutjbz__OIqGvsY1mXPiSvUV20dCV0LtQKDEe5FYPB2RTndfkhKVCRvT=w192-h257-no

Sorry for the blurry photo but you can make out the wire going down to the unit from above.
    Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:11 pm

Again to clarify hometeam states that he has a gauge not a light, correct?

If this is not correct for the motor /year van as it came from the factory it sounds like someone replaced the gauge cluster with one that came with a oil gauge and had ran a oil pressure line somewhere to the engine or pump.
    bwalsh
    bwalsh

Post by bwalsh Fri May 10, 2019 9:09 am

Keith D wrote:Again to clarify hometeam states that he has a gauge not a light, correct?

If this is not correct for the motor /year van as it came from the factory it sounds like someone replaced the gauge cluster with one that came with a oil gauge and had ran a oil pressure line somewhere to the engine or pump.

I would have deleted my previous post if I could figure out how....

Doing research I stumbled upon this webpage which states an oil pressure gauge was indeed an option.

"SELECTED OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

225-cubic-inch, 140 horsepower Slant Six engine
       318-cubic-inch, 210-horsepower Dodge V8 engine
       Heavy-duty, 3-speed manual transmission (Model A745)
       Three-speed LoadFlite automatic transmission (with dashboard-mounted selector)
       Anti-spin differential
       One-quarter oil-bath air cleaner (V8 only)
       37-amp alternator (6-cyl.), 46-amp or 60-amp alternator (6-cyl. and V8)
       59- or 70-amp-hour battery
       Two-tone paint
       Chrome finish, front and rear bumpers
       Chrome finish (or enameled) front bumper guards

Tinted windshield glass
       Auxiliary heater (hot water) for the cargo compartment
       Dual electric horns )replace single horn)
       Interior rear view mirror
       Dual Jr. West Coast rearview mirrors
       Transistorized radio
       Self-retracting door step below curbside cargo doors
       Passenger’s seat, full-foam, bucket-style with seat belt
       Passenger armrest
       Undercoating
       Stainless steel wheel covers
       Oil-pressure gauge
    "

http://www.dodgea100.com/a108-brochure/

I looked thru my service manual but it didn't show any diagrams of the oil line. It did have a procedure to check the oil pressure gauge in section 8, "electrical", page 8-59. Yes the oil gauge is mention under electrical due to it being lumped together with "electrical" dash gauges.

As others have said, It most likely attached to the fitting the sending unit attaches to, then ran underneath to the front of the floor then up to the dash. That location on the engine would give the most accurate pressure reading. I remember from earlier years I've installed oil pressure gauges on a 350sm at the top back of the block, where the electrical sending unit is/was located.
    A new rubber line should work just as well as the original did back in the day. If you're that worried about using rubber, you can probably get a stainless steel line custom made.

I hope you get it(or already have it) figured out!

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Fri May 10, 2019 11:40 pm

If you have the gauge option, there's no idiot light. Because: the position of the idiot ligth (right side of the dash) is the same as the gauge.

As for the 318 the connection of the hose is at the rear passenger side of the block. It is a short steel line (less than 10 inch) mounted to the block and the hose is then connected to the other (flared) end of the steel line. Works perfectly, as you should not have more than 100psi on that line.

According to the parts book, the slant 6 (170 and 225, yr 68) should have the sending unit on the fron driver side of the engine, close to the valve cover.

By the way - the red light next to the ignition switch is the brake warning light. It light's while starting (to ensure its working) and of course if the brake is failing.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2013-12-16

Post by sweetvan Sat May 11, 2019 7:52 am

Hometeam,
    If you have a sending unit screwed into the pump by the filter, like as shown in post #9, there is a an electrical connection post on the top. You should be able to run a wire from there to an electrical gauge or oil pressure warning light. Check in the service manual for your year model schematic for the type and size wire to use. Note that you could use a "T" fitting under the sending unit if you want to keep the sending unit for an electrical gauge or an oil pressure warning light, and also have an oil pressure line to a mechanical gauge.

If you want to use just a mechanical gauge, you can probably remove the sending unit and instead screw in a brass fitting for the oil pressure line that you want to use, and run it to the mechanical gauge.

I found that a service manual is definitely something that every vintage van owner should have. You should be able to find one online or advertise here in VV, A Parts Wanted, classified ads.

Hope that helps.
    bwalsh
    bwalsh

Post by bwalsh Sat May 11, 2019 5:37 pm

sweetvan wrote:Hometeam,
    If you have a sending unit screwed into the pump by the filter, like as shown in post #9, there is a an electrical connection post on the top. You should be able to run a wire from there to an electrical gauge or oil pressure warning light. Check in the service manual for your year model schematic for the type and size wire to use. Note that you could use a "T" fitting under the sending unit if you want to keep the sending unit for an electrical gauge or an oil pressure warning light, and also have an oil pressure line to a mechanical gauge.

If you want to use just a mechanical gauge, you can probably remove the sending unit and instead screw in a brass fitting for the oil pressure line that you want to use, and run it to the mechanical gauge.

I found that a service manual is definitely something that every vintage van owner should have. You should be able to find one online or advertise here in VV, A Parts Wanted, classified ads.

Hope that helps.

He has a stock mechanical gauge he wants to hook back up.

I bought my service manual from this place.

https://www.repairmanual.com/?s=1967+Dodge+A100&post_type=product

This one...

https://www.repairmanual.com/product/1964-1970-dodge-100-compact-sportsman-wagon-van-pick-service-manual/

Even though it says it's for a A100(says nothing about an A108) my serial number falls between this manuals and the other manuals two beginning numbers(which aren't listed in the add). I'd ordered the A 100/A108 manual first then when I got it, realized it was for serial numbers that started higher than mine. So I returned it and bought the other.
    I'm the one who got them to add that last paragraph about the serial numbers...but they failed to do it with the A 100/A 108 manual. I can't remember what number it started at.
    I would recommend calling them to confirm.

Thumbing thru both manuals side by side, it would most likely be a chore finding what differences(if any) there are between the two.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:04 am