VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Gas gauge confusion?? How do I get the correct Fuel level gauge?

Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Gas gauge confusion?? How do I get the correct Fuel level gauge? Empty Gas gauge confusion?? How do I get the correct Fuel level gauge?

Post by Donn Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Looking to buy a Gas, fuel level gauge for the 63 Econo pick up.
    Have never bought one before and did not realize it's not that easy..
    Need to find out how many gallon tank came with the Econolines, was there different sizes?
    Now I am told you have to know the "resistance"? I was looking in Summit and they list
    Fuel level 0 empty -30 full
    Fuel level 16 empty -158 full
    Fuel level 73 empty -10 full

I don't have a clue what they are talking about..

If any of you guys have changed your gas gauge maybe you can shed some light on this for me..right now I am in the dark.. confused
    thx
    Donn
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Gas gauge confusion?? How do I get the correct Fuel level gauge? Empty Re: Gas gauge confusion?? How do I get the correct Fuel level gauge?

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:28 pm

The simple answer is that the fuel gauge moves according to how much electricity flows through it,,,,and the sending unit has a variable resistor hooked to the float arm which changes the resistance as the fuel level moves and that changes the flow of electricity. So you need a sending unit that has the resistance built into it that the gas gauge understands. And some Ford guy here will have to tell you the number,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Gas gauge confusion?? How do I get the correct Fuel level gauge? Empty Re: Gas gauge confusion?? How do I get the correct Fuel level gauge?

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:41 pm

I am thinking those senders are ONLY for Summit gauges,,,I also think Ford gauges are 33 ohms Full / 240 ohms Empty,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:44 pm

what Don said

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:24 pm

let me go down to the E Vans mechanical section and see if I can find any Ford guys,,,
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:18 pm

Hey Donn,

If you are keeping the stock fuel sender, it
    should be a 73ohm-empty, 10ohm-full.

So you just got to look for a "73/10" fuel level
    gauge.

You can also get a new sender and gauge as a matched
    set. There is a better selection and lower prices
    if you get the industry standard 240/33. This is
    for the "aftermarket" gauges and senders NOT set up
    for any particular make of vehicle.

Also recommend mocking everything up before final
    install so you know the gauge and sender match enough
    to be useable. Ideally you would "bench test" the sender,
    gauge and tank, but short of that I would install the
    sender and gauge with the tank completely empty and
    also with someone watching the gauge while you move
    the sender by hand (outside the tank but grounded)
    to verify "full" position on the gauge.

You adjust the system by bending the wire which holds
    the float.

Hope this helps,
    George

*I got a cool way to calibrate the sender/gauge, let
    me know if interested
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:17 am

those aftermarket units might not fit your tank,,,,some use screws,,,,some don't have pick up tubes.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:37 am

Another thing is that Ford uses a current limiter on its gauges to cut the voltage down,,,,,so their gauges are like 6 volt,,,,,aftermarket ones are 12 volts,,,,so that current limiter can cause problems that might make you think you got a sending unit problem,,,,,
    Donn
    Donn

Post by Donn Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks guys..
    I am thinking going with the new gauge and sender combo.
    I had no idea what a pain this is.
    I thought they worked like a toilet float, just went up and down with the gas level..
    Guess you are never to old to learn something new.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:56 pm

I don't know that your troubles are over yet,,,,the universals are set up for you to drill a hole in your tank and screw the sender in,,,,they don't have the suction pipe on them,,,,now if you got a sending unit that has a lock ring on it, it has the suction pipe built into it. So something more to think about,,,,,so what exactly is wrong with your system?

Gas gauge confusion?? How do I get the correct Fuel level gauge? Repai153

Post by Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 pm

So if i just get the gauge 73/10... im ok? Im planning to get a full aftermarket set. Im liking the autometers designer black series.....
    And that brings other questions, electrical vs mechanical water temp?? How to determine speedometer, i want mech, but there are two to choose from. I dont want to hijack this thread.. excuse me if i just did it.
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:07 am

StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:55 am

Donn,

The 73/10 that I used works great for the stock sender.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:41 am

Donn wrote:Looking to buy a Gas, fuel level gauge for the 63 Econo pick up.
    Have never bought one before and did not realize it's not that easy..
    Need to find out how many gallon tank came with the Econolines, was there different sizes?
    Now I am told you have to know the "resistance"? I was looking in Summit and they list
    Fuel level 0 empty -30 full
    Fuel level 16 empty -158 full
    Fuel level 73 empty -10 full

I don't have a clue what they are talking about..

If any of you guys have changed your gas gauge maybe you can shed some light on this for me..right now I am in the dark.. confused

thx
    Donn

Contact FredC on this forum ... he's in RI and can dial u in on tanks etc. I'm ripping around in his larger tank modifications here on the moss back coast.
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:23 am

beanses wrote:So if i just get the gauge 73/10... im ok? Im planning to get a full aftermarket set. Im liking the autometers designer black series.....
    And that brings other questions, electrical vs mechanical water temp?? How to determine speedometer, i want mech, but there are two to choose from. I dont want to hijack this thread.. excuse me if i just did it.

Beanes,

I went with an electronic speedo. The cable comes out of the tranny and a pulse unit goes in where the cable was. With autometer, you drive a mile or 2 and push the calibration button and it's calibrated.
    Donn
    Donn

Post by Donn Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:24 pm

SDEconoTruck wrote:Holy resurrected thread! j/k Laughing

If you keep your STOCK sender, you can get a 73/10
    gauge that will work with it:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=73%2F10%20fuel%20gauge&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=T3bhT7GjIbSK2QWV7Om1Cw

YEAH..How did this ever come back to life What a Face
    I have happily been spending $3.60 to $4.10 a gallon for a long time now and watching my guage work perfect going from full to empty Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 pm