VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

fuel level sending unit for custom tank?

monkey wrench
    monkey wrench

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2014-05-18

fuel level sending unit for custom tank?  Empty fuel level sending unit for custom tank?

Post by monkey wrench Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:01 pm

I had a sheet metal shop bend up some pannels for a simple custom fuel tank on my '67 A108. Now I'm trying to sort out the fuel level sending unit.

There is no room on the top of the tank due to the way it sits flush against the floor so I'd like to use a side mounted sending unit. I am having trouble locating one. I could use my old sending unit if I could located the proper mounting hardware that would be brazed to the tank.

Can anyone offer some ideas?

Thanks.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

fuel level sending unit for custom tank?  Empty Re: fuel level sending unit for custom tank?

Post by benwah Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:23 am

Older Jeep Cherokee 1990-95 have a steel tank about the same size as our earlys. Their sending unit is on the side of the tank behind the rearend.
    Henrik
    Henrik

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

fuel level sending unit for custom tank?  Empty Re: fuel level sending unit for custom tank?

Post by Henrik Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:02 am

Mine uses the original on the back of the tank
    fuel level sending unit for custom tank?  20150312
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:38 pm

First step is to ensure what gauge and circuit you are going to use.
    If you plan on stock A-100, it's fed limited voltage (~5 volts) and the resistance from the sending unit is
    Empty = 73 Ohms
    1/2 = 23 Ohms
    Full = 10 Ohms

Check out this resource
    http://www.moparfins.com/repairs/fuel_gauge_repair/fuel_gauge_repair.htm
    monkey wrench
    monkey wrench

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2014-05-18

Post by monkey wrench Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks. Those are all good sugestions.

My first choice is to use the origional sending unit. The one I have is still functional, I checked the ohms and they jive with numbers RodStRace posted. My dash is goodish too so I'd like to stick with the stock guages.

Henrik, how is your sending unit mounted? It looks like you had 8 threaded studs welded around the hole in the tank and you have a ring that fits over the stock sending unit and over those studs. The ring is then snugged down to compress the sending unit agaist the gasket and the tank. Is that about the gist of it? With a bit of effort I can add that to my tank.
    Henrik
    Henrik

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

Post by Henrik Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:36 am

Excactly the way You said. Simple and works.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 3:50 pm