VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Fuel tank sending unit

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Fuel tank sending unit Empty Fuel tank sending unit

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:21 pm

I stopped over to check out JFox's 66 van fuel gauge,,,,,he put an aftermarket one in it and the stock sender won't work with it,,,,,using my latest technical tools, which to some, might be a Chevy Van 30 ohm sender, the original Dodge sender and a radio volume knob, to calculate the resistances needed for that aftermarket gauge,,,,,I am thinking he needs kind of a E=240/1/2=110 / F=30 ohm unit for that aftermarket gauge to work properly,,,,,so what does he need to do,,,,,drill a hole in the top of his tank and drop in a compatible universal sender or find another sender unit to modify the stock unit?

Fuel tank sending unit Repair50
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Fuel tank sending unit Empty Re: Fuel tank sending unit

Post by dix Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:39 pm

once you guys start talking ohm's that is where i'm out in left field

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Post by jfox Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks again Don for your diag. After searching a bit on the (240/110/30) sending units i have found them to be standard to the boating industry. I think i'm gonna just retro fit what i have....fingers crossed.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Well Jesse, therein lies the problem,,,,,,If you are not going to use the stock gauge or sending unit, you need to find a sending unit that fits your tank 1st, then find an aftermarket gauge that works with that sending unit,,,,,,there could be like a 100 aftermarket gauges out there but not many that will work with the stock Dodge tank,,,,,,
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:55 pm

I found a few with just the unit/float and rod. Actually the one from Stewart Warner (same as gauge)looks like it can also be adapted to the original flange, such as you have modified yours. I'm gonna do my best not to turn my Dodge tank into a Chevy Laughing
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:00 pm

did you ground the fuel line comming out of the tank during your test.

Post by jfox Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:04 pm

dix wrote:did you ground the fuel line comming out of the tank during your test.
    We did
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 pm

His sending unit is junk,,,,,in the picture, you can see his sending unit on the right, laying on the ground and we used jumper wires to connect it to the fuel gauge for testing,,,,,now what is the real resistance of a Dodge sending unit supposed to be,,,,,,that aftermarket gauge wants 240/30 to work......
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:17 pm

jfox wrote:I found a few with just the unit/float and rod. Actually the one from Stewart Warner (same as gauge)looks like it can also be adapted to the original flange, such as you have modified yours. I'm gonna do my best not to turn my Dodge tank into a Chevy :lol:

Well then don't expect me to stop when I see you on the side of the road out of gas,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 pm

dix wrote:once you guys start talking ohm's that is where i'm out in left field

,,,,,in case you wanted the easy answer to Ohms in a fuel gauge system,,,,voltage comes into a fuel gauge,,,,,now the voltage going out is what moves the needle from Empty to Full,,,,and you need to regulate the outgoing voltage to get the needle to move,,,,and each spot on the dial has a certain number that that moves it there,,,and that number is Ohms,,,,which is a measurement of resistance,,,,and the sending unit is a variable resistor,,,the float movement changes the ohms,,,,so you want a sending unit that sends out the correct Ohm number that the Gauge understands,,,and they both agree when a tank is empty or full,,,,they need to talk the same language,,,,but each model, as well as the Aftermarket ones all talk different languages, so you need a matching set,,,AND,,,a way to get that sending unit to fit your tank,,,,,but this is also how you would figure out your fuel gauge problems.....
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:04 am

Fuel tank sending unit Ohms_c10
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:35 pm

Came home to my sending unit on the porch from Speedway. Stripped it from its original mount. A little solder there, a tach weld here and a bend. A new/old sending unit that talks the same language as my gas gauge. Popped it in and it reads just below half, about right by my math(?)..Drove it until ii almost hit empty. Once back home the gauge read just a tich over the empty mark. I siphoned what i had left and was just shy of 2 gallons and the gauge now read empty exactly. Thanks again Don for the good info/ideas.Fuel tank sending unit Img_2019
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:48 pm

So Jesse, you invented a way to modify the stock Dodge Van sending unit to work the hot rod fuel gauge you put in your dash,,,,,now how about if someone needed to find a 73 - 10 ohm hot rod fuel sending unit to modify to fit in their tank that would  work with their stock fuel gauge?   Did you run into anything like that in your searching?
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:24 am

donivan65 wrote:,"now how about if someone needed to find a 73 - 10 ohm hot rod fuel sending unit to modify to fit in their tank that would  work with their stock fuel gauge?   Did you run into anything like that in your searching?"

I did Don, but to be honest i think just swapping the unit out is best.  Rheostats wired in series are what i'm finding....but that only address the low end adjustment and doesn't give an accurate reading between empty and full. It just puts it in the zone so to speak. It all makes my head hurt..
    gearheadflicks
    gearheadflicks

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2012-04-19

Post by gearheadflicks Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi guys, just jumping in the middle here... with my problem.

When I turn the key the needle goes all the way to full... (empty or full)

What would be the best, easiest solution?

jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Is your gas guage original? Is your sending unit original?....more or less we would need to know what parts we're playing with to start..
    dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Fuel tank sending unit Empty the sending unit/gauge fix

Post by dodge A-108 Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:09 pm

donivan65 wrote:I stopped over to check out JFox's 66 van fuel gauge,,,,,he put an aftermarket one in it and the stock sender won't work with it,,,,,using my latest technical tools, which to some, might be a Chevy Van 30 ohm sender, the original Dodge sender and a radio volume knob, to calculate the resistances needed for that aftermarket gauge,,,,,I am thinking he needs kind of a E=240/1/2=110 / F=30 ohm unit for that aftermarket gauge to work properly,,,,,so what does he need to do,,,,,drill a hole in the top of his tank and drop in a compatible universal sender or find another sender unit to modify the stock unit?
    the proper after market fuel gauge is a autometer part#2515. it works with the stock sending unit which works like this;; 11 ohms is full;;; 73 ohms is empty. and the real beauty of it is ..its a 12v gauge with NO damn voltage limiter involved or needed. VERY satisfying to have a working, accurate fuel gauge on a dodge!!!

Fuel tank sending unit Repair50

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:41 am