VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
slowflapper
HandiVanMan
Big W
RodStRace
Barnabas
whopman
m1dadio
Magic Bus
G-Man
13 posters

New guy! New Questions!

New guy! New Questions! Empty New guy! New Questions!

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:55 pm

First of all, whats up fellas? I'm 25, Live in Newnan, GA(About 40 minutes South of Atlanta) and just randomly came across this forum. I contacted a guy on Craigslist that had two 65's for sale and, upon his deciding to part them out, directed me here. Halleluah!

I'll introduce myself as a car-audio enthusiast. I know this is a completely different hobby than anyone here has, but it's what I enjoy. I'm not the riding through your neighborhood at 5 in the morning with my music blaring type of person, I like to compete and hang out with other true enthusiasts and have fun. With that said, I've ALWAYS wanted to do a throwback audio vehicle. What I'm here for is to learn a bit more about (mainly) the three 60's model vans that are priority here, and then hopefully to find one.

What I'm looking for is a 60's model van that doesn't have the engine compartment in the rear. I need all of the room I can possibly get for the audio setup. I need the tallest, widest, and longest van possible. I think the "E" series is going to be my best bet, can anyone chime in for me here?

Thanks!

Ryan
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New guy! New Questions! Empty Re: New guy! New Questions!

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Welcome to the site!!! For a early van your looking for a 108 model or a Supervan for the most room
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Welcome to a great Vintage Van forum and I'll be pm you with some audio questions...Id say the Ford Supervan would be a great option as far as the room you need

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:48 pm

G-Man wrote:Welcome to the site!!! For a early van your looking for a 108 model or a Supervan for the most room

Thanks! Yeah, from what I've seen the 108 you're talking about is a Chevy with a 108" wheelbase as opposed to the 90", correct?

Supervan I would assume is the Ford, which looked HUGE, at least the ones I saw.

To anyone here that might have a 108 or the Supervan - Can any of you tell me how wide it is between the wheel wells, or how deep it is to the back of the engine housing/rear seats? That'd be super helpful to give me an idea as to what I'm working with!

Last edited by MisterGrubbs on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Welcome to the site

between the wheel wells is usually4 feet so a 4X8 sheet of ply wood or a skid could be put in them.

M1D
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Welcome to the site...I am just south of you in Columbus bout an hour drive.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:29 pm

whopman wrote:Welcome to the site...I am just south of you in Columbus bout an hour drive.

Nice! I'm down there 3-4 times a week. A good friend owns an Audio company based out of Columbus/Phenix City and another good friend owns a restaurant down there(let me know if you need some good food!)
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:33 pm

Will do...stop by the Harley shop...I am usually there 6 days a week..
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:34 pm

MisterGrubbs wrote:
    To anyone here that might have a 108 or the Supervan - Can any of you tell me how wide it is between the wheel wells, or how deep it is to the back of the engine housing/rear seats? That'd be super helpful to give me an idea as to what I'm working with!

The Econoline Supervan is exactly 4 feet between the rear wheel wells.

I think the engine doghouse to the rear doors is 8 feet in the Supervan. I don't have one to measure.

If you are putting a lot of weight in the rear, try not to put too much behind the rear wheels. With the Supervan it's easy to load it too far to the rear and create steering issues.

Best wishes on your adventure.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Barnabas wrote:
    MisterGrubbs wrote:

The Econoline Supervan is exactly 4 feet between the rear wheel wells.

I think the engine doghouse to the rear doors is 8 feet in the Supervan. I don't have one to measure.

If you are putting a lot of weight in the rear, try not to put too much behind the rear wheels. With the Supervan it's easy to load it too far to the rear and create steering issues.

Best wishes on your adventure.

Thanks! Good information there.

The majority of the weight will be over/just in front of the wheels wells and then directly behind the front seats.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Welcome to the site.
    Is this the SPL type stuff?
    I have an open mind toward other's hobbies, but in my experience, these contests completely modify the vehicle so fully it is completely destroyed for any other use.
    While our vans aren't super rare or valuable, they are appreciated here. If your intent is to hack one up, jam it full of sealing foam and equipment, crank it up until it is splitting at the seams, then discard it for your next challenge, please look elsewhere.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypU4OslUltU&feature=related
    If I am wrong, I apologise.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Supervan has a big bum...lol. butt (no pun intended, or just a little) you could take this ( which is quite nice in itself)New guy! New Questions! 67_ext10...and with a bit of work stretch that wheel base into this. Fill in what you moved back and you now have a long wheel base super.New guy! New Questions! L_98d410.. Welcome by the way to the best van site on the web.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:39 pm

RodStRace wrote:Welcome to the site.
    Is this the SPL type stuff?
    I have an open mind toward other's hobbies, but in my experience, these contests completely modify the vehicle so fully it is completely destroyed for any other use.
    While our vans aren't super rare or valuable, they are appreciated here. If your intent is to hack one up, jam it full of sealing foam and equipment, crank it up until it is splitting at the seams, then discard it for your next challenge, please look elsewhere.
    If I am wrong, I apologise.

Big W - If I were to stretch the van, it'd move me up in classes.

Rod, yes it is Spl type stuff, but let me explain. Whatever van I decide on will be, more or less, "hot-rod" built, so to speak. Probably keep it the stock height with semi-classy rims on it as to not to kill the looks of the vehicle. Inside, yes, it will have sound deadening, foam, and everything else. It's not something that will be "thrown" away as it is something I still intend to drive on the weekends and I also intend to show off as much as possible. Out of respect for YOUR hobby and the fact that you love these vans so much, I'm not looking for a 100% original van. I'm looking for something that is missing parts, no motor or transmission, and truthfully has little to no hope of ever being driven again without a serious overhaul OR some very, very serious commitment. I have no intentions of taking a van with a ton of potential and destroying it, nor do I have the intentions of taking an all original van and hacking it up. Once again, I'm looking for a junker, so to speak. Hope you understand, cheers!

Ryan

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Rod, the van you posted(I just saw the link) is Craig Butler. He is a world record holder and that is NOT what I'm intending to do with the van.

I can't post links, but if you go to Youtube and type in Gary Killian Hair Trick - - - this is more or less the style of competing I'm most interested in/accustomed to. What fun is the other stuff when you can't enjoy it(It's not musical!!!) and other people can't sit and enjoy it as well?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:41 pm

The Dodge A100 also had a 108 model , for what you want to do don't think a 90" would work
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:54 am

mistergrubbs next time you are in columbus give me a shout, i have a 65 in my back yard...i might be willing to part with.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:45 am

whopman wrote:mistergrubbs next time you are in columbus give me a shout, i have a 65 in my back yard...i might be willing to part with.

Just let me know. I'll likely be down this weekend. I plan on going to eat at Henry's(a friend's restaurant I was talking about) - you're welcome to join me and then head over to take a look at the van then, if you like.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:21 am

Hi,
    Ryan welcome I I would like to apoligize for rods remarks. I think that it shouldn't be anyones business what you or anyone on this site does with their van. I have seen people building hot rods, rat rods, dragsters, 4x4's, signs, utility trailers, and even low riders. I am not a fan of turning a classic car, truck or van into a low rider but I don't bash them for doing so because that is their own preference. I like the classic old school hot rods and original condition restored look my self. I have a 1969 gmc handi van that is all original that i drive every day. No show van just a daily driver and I love it. My wife and son dosent like it that much cause it aint modern with ac, power steering and other modern luxuries. Thats all fine with me cause everone has their own unique choice of what kind of vehicle they want or have. With all of that said once again welcome to the club and I hope that you find what your looking for and make your dreams come true. Good luck with your search.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:55 am

MisterGrubbs wrote:
    whopman wrote:Welcome to the site...I am just south of you in Columbus bout an hour drive.

Nice! I'm down there 3-4 times a week. A good friend owns an Audio company based out of Columbus/Phenix City and another good friend owns a restaurant down there(let me know if you need some good food!)

Well hey there fellers Smile

I'm in Forsyth county (north metro ATL). Grubbs, if you are still in the market there's a '62 or 64 Econoline not far from me for sale, it's in decent shape, the guy wanted $1400 for it the last time I talked to him, I'll dig up his number if you want to call him.

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:41 pm

Handivanman, I apologized for my own remarks, thank you! Laughing
    If you saw the video (the OP did) you might understand why.
    They convert them into something that is no more than a pressure box. There are many hobbies that make major modifications to an original vehicle such as drag racing, low riders, pro touring, pro hoppers. This is a whole 'nother level. It is similar to destruction derby, which I also think is a waste of often good cars. Lucky for us that early vans were never considered for that!
    Again, this is just my own opinion, and I did not want to drive off a new member. He has agreed that this is not his style, so hopefully there is no harm or foul.
    Please accept my apology to you also for adding a comment that was not positive. Let's hope that we can get back to fun with vans!

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:07 pm

RodStRace wrote:Handivanman, I apologized for my own remarks, thank you! Laughing
    If you saw the video (the OP did) you might understand why.
    They convert them into something that is no more than a pressure box. There are many hobbies that make major modifications to an original vehicle such as drag racing, low riders, pro touring, pro hoppers. This is a whole 'nother level. It is similar to destruction derby, which I also think is a waste of often good cars. Lucky for us that early vans were never considered for that!
    Again, this is just my own opinion, and I did not want to drive off a new member. He has agreed that this is not his style, so hopefully there is no harm or foul.
    Please accept my apology to you also for adding a comment that was not positive. Let's hope that we can get back to fun with vans!

It's completely fine! Just so you know as well, with the wall in-tact, there's still no permanent modifications to the vehicle. If wanted, it could be re-converted to stock. The foam that "seals" off the box doesn't actually adhere to the roof and other crevasses(you lay down plastic bags so it can full expand, but when you go to pull it out ... it doesn't stick to anything!)

The only thing semi-permanent would be extensive sound deadening, and even that could be removed if you wanted it to.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:09 pm

slowflapper wrote:
    MisterGrubbs wrote:

Well hey there fellers Smile

I'm in Forsyth county (north metro ATL). Grubbs, if you are still in the market there's a '62 or 64 Econoline not far from me for sale, it's in decent shape, the guy wanted $1400 for it the last time I talked to him, I'll dig up his number if you want to call him.

Well howdy! I'm PROBABLY going to try and scoop up a LWB as it'll fit my needs a bit better. I don't know much about differences in model years, but 108" WBs weren't available until around 67-68, correct?
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

RodStRace,
    It's all good . Your remark just kinda hurt me as I was the person that turned MrGrubbs onto this site. I bragged on all of the members here on how great they are and how they will do anything that they can to help him out on his hunt. I would like to apoligize to you if it seemed like I was in anyway bashing you for your opinion. Let's get back to vanning & van on.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:42 pm

If anyone here visited a car audio forum for a matter of 10 minutes, you'd blow your head off, haha. The things I've seen and dealt with there are FAR beyond anything this community could come up with, more than likely. Like I said, all is good and well.

On a lighter note, if anyone sees a long wheel base/big older van pop up around here, let me know!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:34 pm

MisterGrubbs, just look at the for sale section daily we'll find you one

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:35 am