VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
southern man
wacko
donivan65
Spank
8 posters

NEW GUY HERE... SO MANY QUESTIONS.....

Spank
    Spank

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2010-04-15

NEW GUY HERE... SO MANY QUESTIONS..... Empty NEW GUY HERE... SO MANY QUESTIONS.....

Post by Spank Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Hey there,

Just picked up a 1965 E100. I have so many questions I don't know where to start.

Overheating: my 170 ci overheats when it is worked hard (driven up a slight incline Sad ). brand new 160 degree thermostat. Mechanical fan. The radiator definitely has some holes but the fluid level is correct. It leaks when hot. Coolant drips from the holes when engine is warm. So i know hot coolant is making it to the radiator. An exhaust manifold leak is present (don't know if this would affect overheating). I searched all over this forum and couldn't find any threads showing overheating as a common problem. So i am assuming there is something wrong. Any thoughts?

Pod on the interior side of the left headlight: has an access door to a hollow space. Has a tube connected to the bottom of the chamber. What is this thing?

Thanks in advance for the responses. I don't know where i would be without this forum.

Colin
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

NEW GUY HERE... SO MANY QUESTIONS..... Empty Re: NEW GUY HERE... SO MANY QUESTIONS.....

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Number one rule is have a good radiator,,,,,it has to be unclogged and no leaks,,,,,those leaks bleed off the pressure that the cap builds up to raise the boiling point so it won't overheat as soon. Otherwise you won't get far or have much fun,,,,,,,,,let's see what the Ford guys have to say about getting a radiator,,,,,,or having yours recored.
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

NEW GUY HERE... SO MANY QUESTIONS..... Empty Re: NEW GUY HERE... SO MANY QUESTIONS.....

Post by wacko Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Welcome to the site. Nice to see more from the Pacific Northwest. Would love to see some pictures
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Oh yeah, overheating is common. I'll second Doni's advice.

Pod behind the headlight. That's not an access door - it's an air vent!

Welcome!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Welcome to the site!!!!
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:03 pm

Welcome to the group from West Virginia!!! Gotta love those old Econo's!!! The passenger side has a cover plate over the hole for the vent. I think the deluxe heaters used this hole. I also would like to see pics....... congrats on the Econo...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:47 pm

You should drain your radiator down a few inches until you can peek down into it and see the condition of the tubes. The rows go front to back,,,,2 rows are normal,,,,3 are better,,,,,the tubes are like long oval shaped straws standing up,,,,,see how clean they look,,,,,,they clog up over time ,,,,and there are a lot of them in there that you can't see,,,,,,

NEW GUY HERE... SO MANY QUESTIONS..... Repai138
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:18 pm

A 65 should have a heater where the block off plate is on the passenger side. A 64 would have a heater in the center of the floor. Passenger side vent on 61-64 was optional and takes the place of the blockoff plate. If a 65-67 was ordered with the heater delete option(WARM CLIMATES) then a blockoff plate would be there also. I ve got extra vents if you need one.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Cooling system runs under about 15 psi when engine is at normal temp.... A leaking radiator is going to adversly affect the cooling medium and heat transfre from the engine to the radiator and out,,,,Need a good radiator for real!! iF it won;t hold pressure, its not gonna cool....and no amount of that crap they sell to fix leaks is gonna fix it.... Needs repaired or replaced...

WELCOME TO THE CIRCUS MAN
    Spank
    Spank

Post by Spank Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:09 pm

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION EVERYONE.

I GOT MY EXTRA RADIATOR TESTED. IT HELD PRESSURE AND FLOWED WELL SO I AM GONNA THROW IT IN.

NEW ROUND OF QUESTIONS:

1. ALONG WITH THE PURCHASE OF THE VAN I GOT AN EXTRA MOTOR AND OTHER ACCESSORIES (THE RADIATOR SPOKEN OF ABOVE.). IT ALSO CAME WITH AN EXTRA RADIATOR MOUNT. THEY ARE DIFFERENT HOWEVER. THE EXTRA ONE IS SHORTER AND WOULD MOUNT THE RADIATOR LOWER IN THE BAY. ANYONE HEARD OF THIS?

2. IS IT POSSIBLE THE ABOVE DIFFERENCE IS DUE TO THE EXTRA MOTOR AND ACCESSORIES BEING FROM A 144 AND NOT A 170? IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO TELL THEM APART?

3. I HAVE A MEAN EXHAUST MANIFOLD LEAK. LOOKS TO ME THAT THERE IS NO GASKET LEFT AT THE FORWARD END AND A HUGE GAP. CAN I EXPECT MY VALVES TO BE BURNED? THE GASKET PICTURED IN ALL THE CATALOGUES SHOW A ONE PIECE GASKET. WHEN LOOKING AT MY MANIFOLD IT LOOKS AS THOUGH THERE SHOULD BE THREE SEPARATE PIECES. ANY THOUGHTS?

4. THE BOLTS HOLDING THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD ON HAVE AN ODD WASHER. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THESE THINGS? HOW DO I REMOVE THE BOLT/WASHER? THEY ARE IN TERRIBLE SHAPE. SHOULD I REPLACE THEM? IF SO WHERE CAN I GET A SET OF THEM?

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL REQUESTS FOR PICTURES. I HAVE SOME GREAT ONES THAT I WILL POST AS SOON AS I GET IT FIGURED OUT.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:23 pm

Here's a link that might help you figure out he picture posting.

Oh, and all UPPER CASE writing is like yelling at someone.

Looking forward to the pics..

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/picture-posting-101-help-only-not-for-individual-picture-posting-f42/posting-pictures-using-forum-s-servimg-t119.htm?highlight=picture+posting[/quote]

Post by Guest Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Howdy!...............and the addiction starts!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:18 pm

On your exhaust manifold, do you have bolts or studs holding it on? They put a couple of different washers on them, sometimes to lock the bolts on place or to allow the manifold to expand when it gets hot. As for a gasket, some of the aftermarket ones slot out the bottom of the mounting holes so you can just drop them in between the manifold and head just by loosening the bolts rather than taking out all the bolts. And sometimes those manifolds warp and it gets really hard to get the holes to line up again IF you take out all the bolts.
    Spank
    Spank

Post by Spank Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:16 am

looks like bolts. The spare one has studs. tried for an hour last night to get a single one off. totally ceased. tried penetrant, heat... thinking of swapping heads...
    Spank
    Spank

Post by Spank Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:20 am

Another Question:

Took the valve cap off of the installed and extra engine last night. INstalled engine has tons of crap stuck to all components. Really thick black gunk. Extra engine looks better. Do i clean this stuff off? is it jsut gonna regunk itself? Starting to think about an engine teardown.. KNow nothing about it of course. If i got the engine compression tested and it turns out good should i stop there?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:42 am

Sounds like you need some new gaskets and before you re install it this would be the time to do that work. Unless you like spending $2.95 a quart

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:48 pm