VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Gauge cluster

docmcg
    docmcg

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Gauge cluster Empty Gauge cluster

Post by docmcg Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:48 pm

Been trying to get some work done on the interior. It’s been so hot lately, it makes it hard to spend much time on the project (not getting any younger). I did install the stock shifter in the dash and am now trying to come up with some sort of center console. The area between the dash and the dog house in such wasted space. I’d like to try to make something that sort of sweeps up into the dash so I can install a touchscreen stereo with Bluetooth and of course Apple Car Play.
        The past few days I’ve spent figuring out which gauge cluster to install. I had the stock gauges all restored, very expensive (don’t ask!).They look really good and I replaced the ammeter gauge with a volt gauge. I was then looking on the Autometer website and found a five gauge set that I think would look very nice, again, very expensive. I’ve attached a couple of pictures to show what I’m trying to do. The five gauge cluster is just a mock up, but gives you a general idea. Please feel free to send your likes and dislikes. I really do value your opinions. Thanks, Steve.

Gauge cluster 2a54ae10
    Gauge cluster D0dc2810

gmytych, DanTheVanMan and vanslair like this post

vanslair
    vanslair

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2013-02-25

Gauge cluster Empty Gauge Cluster

Post by vanslair Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:05 pm

Hi Steve. It's looking good! I am doing the exact same thing to my gauge cluster and have already purchase a 5 gauge set from Autometer. I'm also going to install small LED turn signals and hazard signal in the new gauge panel. What is that steering wheel and what size is it? Good Luck with your project. Aaron
    docmcg
    docmcg

Gauge cluster Empty Re: Gauge cluster

Post by docmcg Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. The steering wheel I got from a site called Flashpower steering. I can’t remember the name for the wheel, but you can check out their site. I too have plans for Autometer gauges. I have some saved in my shopping cart. It’s going to cost close to or a little over $1000, but well worth it. I went with a 5” speedometer and the individual 2” gauges. The speedometer has a tach built in on the bottom, pretty cool. I’ll post pics when it’s done. Good luck with yours,Steve. Oh yeah, the steering wheel is a 15 1/2” I think!

vanslair likes this post

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:40 pm

I would keep the original. It's already converted to Voltmeter, so basically nothing to worry about. It just works. Smile

In my truck, I just added a tach mounted to the steering shaft.
    docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:48 pm

I’m still undecided on the gauge cluster. Right now I’m trying to piece together a center console. I want to install a new stereo and plan on redoing the dash to sort of sweep down into the console. I’ve changed so many things on this truck, it’s not even close to stock anymore. I’ve got independent front suspension, parallel 4 link in the rear, home made front and rear bumpers, and I even installed electric power steering assist. It almost makes me think stock gauges would look sort of out of place! Time will tell. Oh yeah, I’m even going to make a tow truck out of it, kind of like “Mater” from the movie Cars. Won’t that be something!

vanslair likes this post

vanslair
    vanslair

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2013-02-25

Gauge cluster Empty Questions

Post by vanslair Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:43 pm

Ok. Now you have me very interested. What did you use for power steering assist? Aftermarket? Have you installed a/c yet? That's next on my list after finishing disc brake conversion. Would love to see some pics of your fabricated bumpers. In my opinion, i would go with the new gauges. I went with the Autometer Prestige Pearl to give it a more classic look. They will be installed while i'm rewiring the van and installing the Vintage Air. Aaron
    docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:01 pm

Don’t know if you’ve put your gauges in the dash yet, please post a picture when you do. I’d like to see them.

vanslair likes this post

Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:13 pm

I prefer the non stock gauges, I like the looks and performance of the Auto Meters.

Obviously.

Here is my setup...

Gauge cluster Gauges10

Gauge cluster Gauges11

dix and vanslair like this post

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29