VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
67a 100 pickup
J@ke-Man
6 posters

some A-100 van questions

J@ke-Man
    J@ke-Man

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2009-04-08

some A-100 van questions Empty some A-100 van questions

Post by J@ke-Man Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:26 am

1st how hard would it be to put air ride on the A-100 and tuck the tires inside the fender Question also whats the best thing to do with the motor? i have a slant 6 in it and i hear that they are bullet proof. im just trying to decide what people would think is better in it. the orignial slant6 cleaned up or a nice crate v-8 im kinda just trying to get some good ideas. Very Happy please help Exclamation

some A-100 van questions Empty Re: some A-100 van questions

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:59 pm

No clue about the air ride, but as far as the engine goes, yes the slant sixes are bulletproof but leave a lot to be desired in the horsepower dept. A V8 is a cinch to drop into an A-100, but it would be best to find a V8 donor van so you'll have all the necessary parts, namely the unique top mount transmission. A-100 automatics have a very short tailshaft as well.

It depends on what you want out of the engine. If you want a nice quiet cruiser, then stick with the slant six. If you want something rip snortin' fast, then a crate V8 is the way to go.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:47 pm

go with the V8, is wish I would of have a V8!!!! bang
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:38 pm

I have found out on here and from Terry in another post that you can get a lot out of a /6, but if you can find a V8 van that is the only way I would recommend a swap to V8, there are a lot of different parts that are needed. These are not small block chevy's that anything can be bolted to. I was going the /6 route until my nephew found me a V8 van, with luck I'm going to start the swap this weekend.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:32 pm

I have a V8 car ('65 Barracuda) so that's my V8 pleasure, I'm quite happy with the slant 6 in my A100, in fact I love it!

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:30 pm

I'm interested in air ride too. Or something to smooth the bumpy ride out a bit. Everything looks newish under my van but it takes bumps like a tank.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:40 pm

If you're not going to haul anything you can always take a leaf out of the rear spring pack to soften things up. How many leaves do you have in the back now????

Post by Guest Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:01 pm

I have 6 leaves in the rear but I do haul stuff in it so I best leave that alone. Do you think air shocks would make much difference? I tightened down quite a few things and now it's much quieter now. I'm going to put felt or something between the roof supports and the roof in hopes of silencing that noise. If the van doesn't rattle so much it will make a huge difference in how it "feels" going down the road. After all, it is my daily driver.

some A-100 van questions Empty 6 or 8

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:44 am

I've got a /6 and sometimes wish it was a vicious v8 when I need to get up'n'go otherwise /6 it's really good on gas. I'm still lookin' for a very healthy v8, my buds the ex-racers have found a new 410 (really punched out 340!) this is one really bad ass motor with a six-pack, be still my beating heart, probably too snakey for this lil A100.

i was thinkin' about an air system too & was told by an installer that an AIRLIFT KIT would work well on the dodge ,although I had my heart set on a air bar system, Oh well ,maybe next time...............just wanted that "slammed look" tongue and better handling with sway bars all around, brought up a new set of problems with tires & rims, wanted everything tucked underneath the body for the clean look Razz may have to make some flares up Hmmmmmmmmmmm we'll see Question the ride is a little softer on the back Laughing this was quite the investment but well worth it!! Rolling Eyes I like it!!!!! a lot!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:54 am

Fender flares can look pretty good. My van has them. Check out the pics I posted to see if you'd like something similar.

some A-100 van questions Empty I've got flare envy!!!!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:50 pm

When I saw your vid that was one of the very first things i noticed!!!!!!very nice......those are very tricked out!!!!! Cool front & back, not too shabby!!!!! Smile
    J@ke-Man
    J@ke-Man

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2009-04-08

Post by J@ke-Man Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

been a while since ive been on lol! 2009 wow but ive decided to work on the /6 and cleaned it up. it still runns good so this wont be for a while but the next motor for my 66a-100 is going to be a 4bt (4cyl cummins turbo diesel). i havent seen one yet so thats the way im going. bounce bounce guessing ill have to do my homework study and probably a new front end Suspect but i think ill have a one of a kind with way too much power lol!
    agentwilliams
    agentwilliams

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2012-03-10

Post by agentwilliams Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:14 pm

This is a really good thread on another site about a airbagged A100 with a 4-Link setup front and rear. This thing is radically channeled also, but the suspension is inspiring.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684598
    lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:23 pm

While I would prefer a v-8 in my van, as I miss the sound of a stout v-8 motor, the slant six can be built to give great performance. I did, and it really hauls ass. I'll swap one day.......You might want to check out the slant six website:

www.slantsix.org

Everything and anything you will ever need to know, along with more than you probably want Rolling Eyes is there for anyone with a slant six. Seriously, it is a great group cheers

Just be prepared for some seriously devoted "slanters" who eat, sleep, and dream everything slant sixes.....it is a cult, as far as the devoted ones go!! Laughing
    rustyspoke66
    rustyspoke66

Number of posts : 180
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by rustyspoke66 Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:37 pm

New Hemi crate V8!!!!
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:33 am

As they say, if it aint broke dont fix it, however, making it faster is something else! its already got the 6 in it, so run it man! Check out clifford performance too, they have a whole set of parts for slants. their motto is 6=8 cylinders. and they got the parts to burn down most v8's! Keep the 6, hop it up, and have something truly amazing with a WHOLE LOT LESS WORK! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:34 pm