VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+55
Vannin Ken
SportVan
chester42
NipRing
Scotts_A100
millwright71
ndjarrett
66 Surf Wagon
Joe Van
Wheelie
Jay 13
Chevboner
Gothboy
sandyvan
dix
the_surfing_guy
southern man
kookykrispy
Space Truckin
vanny
dodge man
thatcherworks
ScottyJones
pan58head
Big W
m1dadio
austinmodhouse
mbasaraba
Lazarusvan
mrclean
LiveWire64
sparky
SDEconoTruck
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
Nightmoves
BILLS66
sasktrini
Scott
Digz
64chevy
wylee
wacko
RipVanArkie
wideload
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
itruns
savage
BvrWally
Vanish
G-Man
Kakster
VANagain
donivan65
59 posters

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by Nightmoves Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:12 am

Subway??? What ??? No Dog or cheeseburger? What is the world comin to?
    Great shots y'all.Glad ya got to get some road time in.Beaches looked crowded too.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 am

You got the story right, Moe,,,,,,,,,I was out cruising along the Beaches and he was taking too long to come up so I stopped and had my 3 Chili Cheese Dogs and then cruised down a couple towns to meet up with him at a Subways so he could eat ,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:49 pm

,,,,,,,day 999 as we wait for them to revive Rich after he goes to a body shop and they quote him $3000 to strip the van and 3 weeks at $3000 a week to get it into primer,,,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Finally,,,,,,,,time to start taking stuff off before sending it to the paint shop,,,,,,with the radiation from Japan falling on me,,,,,,Off comes the chrome strips,,,,,,,the windows,,,,,,,pop outs are not wanting to come off,,,,,,,VanAgain pulls the heater hoses off to get the heater core out,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga53

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga54
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Empty Getting ready for paint!

Post by VANagain Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:18 pm

That's right, this is the final push to get the van into the body shop!! Thanks to Don for pitching in this weekend. The helped me to remove the tricky parts, like the windows and heater unit. At long last, it's going into the shop this week!!

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Dscn3310

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Dscn3312
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Last Pic is the Greatest!! 12 Grand to get a van painted?? Who are these Guys KIDDIN?? Remember Earl Sheib-I'll paint any car for $29.95
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:33 pm

What color??? stock colors???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:15 pm

All the glass is out.......door handles removed,,,,,,1st Gen door off of CrashVan installed,,,,,it's all prepped to be prepped,,,,,,,,,20 miles to to the body shop

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga55
    VANagain
    VANagain

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Empty Getting ready for paint!

Post by VANagain Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:35 pm

I tell ya, it was not easy getting into position for my face to show thru the headlight opening! But I had to do it!

I've decided to stick with the stock colors, turquoise and white. That's the way this one came, that's how they always showed it in the original ads, and I like it. Nice retro color scheme.

That shop with the $12K estimate is like those you see on TV. Total restoration. They've always got a booth at the big Good Guys car show. He said to me, "If you get a quote somewhere else for less than $5000, run!" I'm sure they would do a top-notch job. They're shop is very impressive. It might be worth it for cars with some big buck value but I can't justify it.

I've still got a few more little things to do. I'll take a day off this week, wrap it up, and then meet Don at the body shop. I'm taking it to a father/son shop where a friend of ours had his 2nd Gen Chevy done. But even they are saying between $5000 and $7500. Hopefully I've saved them many hours by stripping it down like this.

Should be a fun drive over there, with all the windows and headlights out!!

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Deluxe10
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:07 am

That's a big effort!! The next part is gonna have to be like a kid waiting for Christmas morning !! There is no way it won't turn out great.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:44 am

your choice to go with the stock colors will be a good one I have always like that color combo
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:04 pm

FINALLY,,,,,,,,,1158 days after I tow this van to VanAgains house,,,,,,it goes into the body shop. And he provides a manual of what he wants done and how it should look when they are done,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Repai242

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga56

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga57

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga58

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga59

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga60

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga61

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga62

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga63

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga64

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga65

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga66

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga67
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:34 pm

This was truly a big day, second only to getting the van running with the new engine and tranny. We had pretty much everything stripped off it except for a mirror, license plate, tail lights, and one door handle!

Yeah, my "paint manual" seemed like a good idea to me but the body man didn't look too thrilled. I said this was better than me trying to tell him every little thing while he's standing there, and hoping he'd remember. I could point out which holes to fill and which not to, where I wanted the two tone breaks in the door jams, stuff like that. I think by the time we got to me signing the $5500 estimate he was feeling better about it. (I wonder what he would have charged if I brought it in with big rust holes, and hadn't stripped all the parts off...)

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Bodyts10

Here are some videos of me driving there in the very ventilated van!

BodyShop01.wmv
    BodyShop02.wmv (That note is from my friend, reminding me that I've got metal parts and glass in the back!)
    BodyShop03.wmv

Now I've got a couple months to get all the removed parts cleaned up, polished up, painted, and rechromed. I can't wait to see this van looking all shiny and new!

Don was very helpful in talking to the painter as well as the glass guy down the street. I'm having new glass cut for the windshield and driver & passenger doors. I'll have him install all the glass with the new rubber. I sure don't want to attempt that around all that shiny paint!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:02 am

Vanagain, hope this is not the case for you, but sometimes these body guys don't work as fast as you may like. Count on double the time to get her done. I have to say can't wait to see her painted. But sure to keep us updated
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Day 9,,,,,,,,,at the body shop,,,,,,,,,,and I get me a souvenir,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga26

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga27

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga28

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga29

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga30

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga31
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:09 am

Hey, look at that!! Something tells me they haven't been actually working on it for all 9 days but it's progress! The white door turned yellow! Thanks a lot Don for the photo report! And for dropping off those two parts for them. I wanted them to have a headlight trim rim to make sure it still fits after they replace the metal on the front corner damage. And so they can see where they might want to hide some welds behind the ring.

This weekend I plan to get the rest of my sandblasted spare hinges rebuilt and primed so I can get them over to the body shop. The plan is they swap them while they're working on the doors.

And there are many other things to get ready. Now is the time to re-chrome a couple things. I'm ordering many parts from the various catalogs.

Very exciting!
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:09 am

I am excited to see it finished ! Bill
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:14 pm

I'm guessing next time we see it, it will be pretty
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:40 pm

The major repair will be to install one of these 2 right front fenders,,,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga32
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Day 21,,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga34

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga35

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga36

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga37

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 9 Vanaga38
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:53 am

Body Shop Prison , I know it well
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 am

Hope you didnt pay these guys =before the work is done? Usually - -always takes them more time that way to get the finished product done. From an old body & paint man - Look it over SLOWLEY =in the sun when its finished. Remember - painting is just like baseball!! NO Drips, No Runs =NO Errors!!
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:00 am

"Body Shop Prison"....I like that! Mine was in "BSP" 18 months, back in 1975! Made the mistake of paying up front! ' learned a good lesson from that one! lol
    Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun May 15, 2011 8:04 pm

,,,,,,,,sure hope they don't finish it all up before I get back to take more pictures,,,,,,,,,,
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun May 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Don't worry Don she doing hard time in painter prison

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:47 pm