VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+55
Vannin Ken
SportVan
chester42
NipRing
Scotts_A100
millwright71
ndjarrett
66 Surf Wagon
Joe Van
Wheelie
Jay 13
Chevboner
Gothboy
sandyvan
dix
the_surfing_guy
southern man
kookykrispy
Space Truckin
vanny
dodge man
thatcherworks
ScottyJones
pan58head
Big W
m1dadio
austinmodhouse
mbasaraba
Lazarusvan
mrclean
LiveWire64
sparky
SDEconoTruck
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
Nightmoves
BILLS66
sasktrini
Scott
Digz
64chevy
wylee
wacko
RipVanArkie
wideload
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
itruns
savage
BvrWally
Vanish
G-Man
Kakster
VANagain
donivan65
59 posters

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:46 pm

I sure was thinking about Sammy Hagar this day back in 2013

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 I_can_12
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:10 pm

,,,,,,,looks like the Ivory/Turquoise 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe just had another  birthday,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:12 pm

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga12
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:14 pm

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga13
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga14
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:22 am

OMG, has it been that long?!  Thanks for keeping track, Don! The van has come a long way since then, thanks to you and Vintage-Vans.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanson10
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:23 am

There is a universal sending unit. Don suggested buying that and just using the plastic rheostat part and adjustable bracket to mount it to our stock parts. Photos here:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t51458-first-gen-gas-tank-and-sending-unit#234475

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Univ_s12

That would be a lot easier than adapting an entire unit that's made for a different car. It's nice to have the whole thing be new but that stainless steel tubing was hard to bend without kinking it.

Want to hear something funny? That was years ago and I still don't know if my sending unit works -- I haven't put the instrument panel back in my dash yet!! Rolling Eyes  And as Don can attest, I've run out of gas more than a few times!  Hmm, it occurs to me now, I could at least bring my gas gauge out and plug it in to check the gas level before I go somewhere!!

Now that I have my kick panel done, I can finally start putting the whole dash together.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:30 am

Sounds like a Great Idea! Or...maybe you could have Don install a small 5gal "reserve" gas tank that you could switch over to for the next time you run out of gas... Twisted Evil

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:41 pm

Back during the oil embargo in the 70's,,,,,,,I surely put an extra 10 gallon VW tank in my van to hold  any gas you could find ,,,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 P9200810
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:54 pm

,,,,,,to update Richs'  work on his van,,,,I went and seen him today,,,,,he showed me the body plugs that he installed  for the access holes to the door hinge bolts,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Dscn9058
    All the Chevys
    All the Chevys

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2020-02-25

Post by All the Chevys Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:27 am

donivan65 wrote:FINALLY,,,,,,,,,1158 days after I tow this van to VanAgains house,,,,,,it goes into the body shop.   And he provides a manual of  what he wants done and how it should look when they are done,,,,,,,

Boy, i'd sure like a copy of that manual going into my project of the same van.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:55 am

That,,,,,,MANUAL,,,,,,was him telling the body shop,,,,EXACTLY,,,,,how he wanted them to do their job,,,,,,and keep doing it until he decided that they did it right,,,,,,
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:00 am

He knows what he wants and is not shy about letting them know his expectations!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    All the Chevys
    All the Chevys

Post by All the Chevys Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:44 am

oh yes. i can tell the manual is an extensive checklist for the body shop...that's exactly why i would love a copy of it...for ideas and to give to my body shop guy too!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:18 am

There was no manual,,,,,it was just him going over to the shop and making them doing it over and over again until it was done the way HE wanted it,,,,,,,, I guess we can hear from Rich how he started off the process at the shop,,,,,
    All the Chevys
    All the Chevys

Post by All the Chevys Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:32 pm

donivan65 wrote:FINALLY,,,,,,,,,1158 days after I tow this van to VanAgains house,,,,,,it goes into the body shop.   And he provides a manual of  what he wants done and how it should look when they are done,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga59

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga60

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga61

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga62

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga63

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga64

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 24 Vanaga65

There absolutely was a manual. With his handwritten instructions on pictures.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:01 pm

I see what you mean,,,,,,the work he wanted done,,,,,,do you need, want or can afford all that work?
    All the Chevys
    All the Chevys

Post by All the Chevys Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:35 pm

Yes. I'm doing a full restoration. Almost TV show worthy. I've got six months to research and gather any parts until I drop it off. I'm thinking I'm going to spend between $30K-50K....hoping much more towards the lower side of that obviously.

I had asked a question about the gauge cluster on VCVC and have started learning a lot already. I have a bunch of old Chevys already but never had a van. That's what the wife wanted and we found a 66 Sportvan Deluxe in these same colors that is fairly rust free but hidden in a barn since probably 94 (last year it was inspected and tagged).
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:44 pm

Well,,,,if you are planning to build up a turquoise and ivory 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe,,,EXACTLY as VanAgains,,,,,you might ask him to sell it to you to save time and money and you will definitely know exactly what you are getting,,,,,,he was an illustrator for Sonys video games,,,,one pixel at a time,,,,,so great detail went into his van,,,,,,and me,,,I like to get stuff done, not spend an hour planning a 1 minute repair,,,,,,but you see how it turned out......
    All the Chevys
    All the Chevys

Post by All the Chevys Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:07 pm

donivan65 wrote:Well,,,,if you are planning to build up a  turquoise and ivory  1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe,,,EXACTLY as VanAgains,,,,,you might ask him to sell it to you to save time and money and you will definitely know exactly what you are getting,,,,. 

maybe i should.

ours is a 66.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:28 pm

Hey everybody, I’m back!! It’s been way too long since I’ve posted here. I have been doing work on my van, albeit sporadically (as is my way!).

In December of 2019 I removed the intake and exhaust manifolds from my 250 to fix an annoying exhaust manifold leak. It could have been a quick fix but 10 years had passed since the rebuilt engine went in so there were a lot of things I wanted to clean up while I had access on that side of the doghouse. Later I’ll list all the things I ultimately got into. For now, here’s the culmination of many weekends’ work:

Engine_Starts_2021.mp4

savage and REIGNSoner like this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:58 am