VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+55
Vannin Ken
SportVan
chester42
NipRing
Scotts_A100
millwright71
ndjarrett
66 Surf Wagon
Joe Van
Wheelie
Jay 13
Chevboner
Gothboy
sandyvan
dix
the_surfing_guy
southern man
kookykrispy
Space Truckin
vanny
dodge man
thatcherworks
ScottyJones
pan58head
Big W
m1dadio
austinmodhouse
mbasaraba
Lazarusvan
mrclean
LiveWire64
sparky
SDEconoTruck
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
Nightmoves
BILLS66
sasktrini
Scott
Digz
64chevy
wylee
wacko
RipVanArkie
wideload
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
itruns
savage
BvrWally
Vanish
G-Man
Kakster
VANagain
donivan65
59 posters

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Day 56,,,,,,,,,,,they have the right front fender tacked in place and I got me a souvenir,,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga53

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga47

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga48

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga49

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga51
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:43 pm

,,,,,,,,,word on the street is that there is going to be a jail break tomorrow,,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:11 pm

At 1000 hours, subject vehicle was liberated,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga54

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga55

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga56

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga57

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga58

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Vanaga59
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:07 pm

Don ,Whats the story. Bill
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Yeah VanAgain,,,,,,,,,,what's the story????
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:18 pm

I thought they were painting it too????
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Yeah!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:50 am

Bet Rich just wanted to blow the dust off.(cash a check,get some Liqour, some gas, & Mexican food) Sorry to see that shop wasn't working out.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:00 pm

I returned from my vacation on Memorial Day. The body shop wanted to get their first payment: $1000 for removing the paint and replacing the metal on that front fender. I was anxious to see the progress. They had finished welding that fender but as you can see, the old paint isn't quite removed.

Both Don and I have found it difficult to talk to these guys. Could be my book of notes and instructions for them got us started on the wrong foot. He said, "We know what we're doing." But I need to be able to talk with the guys working on my van. This is supposed to be a fun part of the process, getting it all straight and shiny! And I just wasn't getting a happy feeling about it.

Since I had just paid them for the work they'd (mostly) done so far, it was a good time to get my van out of there. Don was there to help with the great escape. Good thing, since it ran out of gas just before we were to get on the freeway!

I finally tracked down a body man that had given me a quote a while back. He'd really spent a lot of time going over it with me and we had a good rapport. He no longer works at a body shop, he's doing one car at a time at his house, which turns out to be 5 blocks from my house, which will make it so easy for me to check in on the progress. He rents spray booth time at the shop he used to work at. Plus, since he's on his own now, the hourly rate will be lower.

The only trouble is he's got three cars ahead of me. I don't mind the time to do some more finishing touches but now there's all this bare metal! And my driveway is near a big salt water bay!! So right now I'm cleaning, priming, and painting those areas, as he advised (and in a month or so he'll be sanding off again...). But I feel much better about this now.

EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Sounds like you did the right thing. Hopefully it will all work out for the better (and be fun in the process)! Good luck.
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Uh ohhh, better treat that metal and get some DTM Epoxy primer on there pronto (been down that road before...)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:22 pm

,,,,and exactly what road do you happen to be on right now, George??
    Whats is happening with your pick up????? Are those surfboards more important than it?
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Post by SDEconoTruck Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Working on it every day Gov (or evening, ha ha) Business is busy but
    I still manage. Just now teaching myself how to do Cad Plating at home- looks easier than I thought.

Sick of painting my nuts, only to have them chip later...

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:12 pm

A video of the Great Escape and bringing it back home,,,,,,,to,,,,,,
    DAY 1218

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Th_VanAgainBackhome
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:08 pm

I have been where you were, you stop by to see whats going on and most of the time is we will get to it in a few days. Well the few days turns to a week then they get just a little done and you have hope they are on it then it turn back to the same crap. You'll be better of to have change bodymen
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:11 pm

VANagain, I think you will be happier with this new situation It sounds more personal and hands on. A few years back had a friend of mine (owns a body shop)Do alot of work on my van and not only were there no problems he (and Dawn) went out of there way on many ocations.Hell in mid stream we did a V8 conversion right there in the body shop. So keep us updated and can't wait to see what comes next on your van. Bill
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:09 am

Here are some photos of my weekend of prepping the bare metal and painting primer. Scrub with de-ruster spray, rinse with water and dry right away, wipe with acetone, then spray paint. It was dry and breezy, which helped the cleaning (not so much the spraying). Did most of it Sunday, and I was wiped when I put the car cover on it that evening. But my work paid off because about a half hour later it started drizzling out!

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Dscn5510

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Dscn5511

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Dscn5514

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Dscn5512

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Dscn5513

I used a good primer but I could be pretty sloppy about it. All this paint will be sanded off in a month or so. Rolling Eyes

My new body man said I should put paint over this primer because primer is not a good seal. I know this is true but what do you guys think? Any rust that starts will get sanded off with the paint, right? But I'd really rather no rust was ever on that metal. I suppose the car cover doesn't really keep the ocean air off it. I did buy a quart of the two colors so I can spray a large area to make sure I like the colors. Maybe while I'm doing this I could hit some of the other primed areas.
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:35 am

Rich - You're body guy is right. Rattle can primer is not waterproof and moisture can get beneath it and form rust. Only a 2 part epoxy primer will stop moisture from getting through. Why don't you just temporarily move the van inland a few miles to a low humidity area. Like the Mojave desert. Or Don's house.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:11 pm

,,,,,,,keep it up, Joe,,,,,,,,,,,,
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Post by SDEconoTruck Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:07 pm

I share 64chevy's sentiments exactly. Rattle can is porous stuff, very deceptive.
    Putting on another paint coat is adding work, it's going to have to come off.
    Also, I found out the hard way that the coatings you put on underneath really
    matter, go with quality from the start.

It would be best to shoot 3 coats (1 mist, 2 medium coats) of DTM (direct-to-
    metal) 2-part Epoxy Primer. Shoots out of a cheap spray gun nicely.

I learned that lesson long ago, now first thing I do after stripping to bare
    metal is get the DTM Primer on, then do body work followed by more
    DTM/Sealer over the worked areas. Then it's time to move into shooting
    a surfacer, then blocking, base coat then clear.

...Good quality Primer is available in Kearny Mesa for about 35 bucks a qt.
    and worth every penny IMO.

George
    VANagain
    VANagain

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Empty Spraying Paint!

Post by VANagain Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Today I'm spraying some paint on that primer, focusing the areas that were bare metal. I had some acrylic enamel mixed up using my van's paint code (540AA) for turquoise (metallic) and ivory. This is my chance to paint a large area to see if I like the colors.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Test_c10

This shot shows the color better:

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Test_c11

Boy, the shiny paint really shows off the dents! I wish I could find a straighter passenger door. And the rear right door.

I'm not happy with this color. This seems to be very silvery. I want it to be more blue and more saturated. I don't it to look green and I don't want it to look blue. This is what I'm shooting for:

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 66_che10

Tomorrow I'll mask off the two-tone area and spray some white, make sure this ivory isn't too yellow.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 am

Sunday I sprayed the white. The ivory color is perfect! When I first started spraying it I thought maybe it was too off white but it's just right. Regular white is too bright. This color looks retro but when people see it they're just going to think it's white.

It was quite windy so I tied up the van's cover and it would fill up like a parachute when the wind would blow!

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Dscn5610

I'm surprised how different the turquoise looks next to the white. I think it looks less green. But I'm still going to try a mix with more blue.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Dscn5611

After painting the two-tone area I used the rest of the white to paint over the primer where there was bare metal. It looks funny to now see a white van in the driveway!

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Dscn5612
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Rich - Are you going with 2 stage? Base coat/clear coat? If so you should shoot some clear on those colors when deciding. The gloss of the clear makes those colors pop and can affect the final look.
    sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by sparky Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

"I'm probably the only guy who likes factory steel rims and whitewalls! "

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 New_wh10 [img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f81/12/51[url=https://servimg.com/view/14719137/5]Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 10 Downsi14/89/13/th/new_wh11.jpg[/img][/url][/quote] Your Not alone!! do you know of a good multi-ply whiteline 14" ?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:57 pm

I like them also, something has to be said for the factory look also

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:44 pm