VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+55
Vannin Ken
SportVan
chester42
NipRing
Scotts_A100
millwright71
ndjarrett
66 Surf Wagon
Joe Van
Wheelie
Jay 13
Chevboner
Gothboy
sandyvan
dix
the_surfing_guy
southern man
kookykrispy
Space Truckin
vanny
dodge man
thatcherworks
ScottyJones
pan58head
Big W
m1dadio
austinmodhouse
mbasaraba
Lazarusvan
mrclean
LiveWire64
sparky
SDEconoTruck
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
Nightmoves
BILLS66
sasktrini
Scott
Digz
64chevy
wylee
wacko
RipVanArkie
wideload
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
itruns
savage
BvrWally
Vanish
G-Man
Kakster
VANagain
donivan65
59 posters

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 17 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by VANagain Thu May 16, 2013 11:54 am

> Reunited!

LOL! I can't believe it either!

I just called the glass guy. He was at the body shop working on it all day yesterday. Had to trim the windshield glass--it was too big to fit, even with the good Steele Rubber gasket! Don, I know you compared that new glass to an old windshield and they were the same. Maybe my van shrunk. So that's in plus four other side windows. He said those little ones were a real tight fit.

They are buffing out the paint today and it should be done tomorrow, ready for me to drive home! T-minus one day...
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 17 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by vanny Thu May 16, 2013 1:54 pm

We want pics once it gets home!!! PLEASE and THANK YOU in advance!!! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! Congrats!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu May 16, 2013 3:22 pm

,,,,,,trim the glass my as,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Thu May 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Congrats Richie. Guess Don and I won't be able to ride you anymore.

You got a spot in your garage cleaned out to keep that new paint out of the nightly fog?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Joe,,,,,I thought you were not riding him anymore,,,,,
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Thu May 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Vanagain,I am excited for you and can't wait to see the out of jail pics! And have those guys been riding you? Bill
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 16, 2013 8:15 pm

,,,at least me,,,,for over 5 years,,,,
    64chevy
    64chevy

Post by 64chevy Fri May 17, 2013 7:37 am

Gotta keep him motivated and moving forward.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri May 17, 2013 7:49 am

I surely don't know where the line between motivation and irritation is,,,,,
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Fri May 17, 2013 5:57 pm

I can use all the motivation I can get! You guys keep reminding me of where my priorities need to be.

Good news/Bad news:

The bad news is (big surprise) they're not able to finish buffing out my van today. The guy's been working on it all day and was going to work on it even a couple hours after they close "until he drops" but then they decided not to rush it (whatever). So they said Monday.

Then I realized, if I get it next week, I won't be able to do any work on it because I'll be in Minnesota for the next two weekends! I won't be able to put in the remaining windows, etc. (No, it's never going to be in my garage, just covered in the driveway.)

But this works out good. I called them back and said I'll be out of town so they can just hang onto it for two more weeks. Don't rush it tonight. (It did kind of kill me to say that, though, when we're this close!) She suggested I come in next week, look it over once more, make sure all is good. If it is, I pay them the balance and they continue to store it indoors until I get back. If something's not right, I can tell them and they've got two weeks to fix it!! You know me, what are the chances that there's nothing left that's going to bug me?!

So we all have to wait to see the jail-break photos... Plus, it just wouldn't be right to make this big move without Don following in his red van full of spare parts!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri May 17, 2013 7:10 pm

yippee for me,,,,,,
    64chevy
    64chevy

Post by 64chevy Fri May 17, 2013 9:00 pm

Given the history it seems only fitting that Don should be involved with bringing that van home.

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 17 Empty VAN agains NEWest 65 Chevy Sportvan Deluxe

Post by Joe Van Sat May 18, 2013 3:50 am

IN 32 years in the automotive business I have never met a paint and body man that was in a hurry.

Last edited by JOE VAN on Sun May 19, 2013 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 18, 2013 7:10 am

,,,seems like there is a string tied from every van in San Diego to my rear bumper,,,,,and Rich needs to add a windshield gasket to the turn signal switch on his parts to order back for me......
    64chevy
    64chevy

Post by 64chevy Sat May 18, 2013 8:15 am

Don, do you provide any warranty on the parts you provide? Seems like Rich had a problem with either the gasket or the windshield, which I'm sure you had cut for him.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 18, 2013 12:10 pm

There sure is a problem,,,,,maybe its the 3 windshields I had cut from a pattern that I made,,,,maybe its because someone don't know how to install a windshield,,,,,and Joe,,,,,do you need a couple of windshields???? I'll give you the cut rate price......
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Sat May 18, 2013 2:37 pm

You offer a warranty Don??? OH MAN that's GREAT!!! Smile
    Plus you already do deliveries, like with my axle and
    the S-10 DH gasket and windshield!!!

That's really nice
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 17 Empty Back to..........VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by Joe Van Sat May 18, 2013 2:44 pm

SORRY DON I did not realise it was you I should have known. lol!

Last edited by JOE VAN on Sun May 19, 2013 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 18, 2013 4:07 pm

64 Chevy guy has been hanging around me too long,,,he's picking up some of my bad habits,,,,,but you are right about those van gaskets,,,,they aint for a van,,,they are for a pick up,,,,It took me 3 different places until I found one that would fit correctly,,,,,and SDEcono,,,,there definitely aint no warranty on any Ford parts that I might find,,,,,,,,,,,but you 1st Gen Chevy guys,,,,pull back the gasket on the windshield and tell me how deep the glass sits in the gasket,,,should be at least 1/4",,,,the windshield does not fit INSIDE the frame,,,it sits OUTSIDE it, probably at least 1/4" BIGGER than the frame with the gasket holding it TO the frame not IN the frame,,,,so there is like 1/2" room on each 4 sides of the gasket for the glass to move around in.....maybe I should bring another windshield in case the wind blows that cut down windshield right into VanAgains lap as he drives it home.......but we will get to the bottom of this when I see that van,,,,again
    64chevy
    64chevy

Post by 64chevy Sat May 18, 2013 4:09 pm

donivan65 wrote:maybe its because someone don't know how to install a windshield
    Or maybe the windshields are fine but installer wanted to share in the profits by adding in a trim charge...??

donivan65 wrote:do you need a couple of windshields??
    Not in the market for windshields right now. Still waiting for the exhaust systems back order....

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 18, 2013 4:13 pm

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 17 Vacat106
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 18, 2013 4:19 pm

I think the glass guy has spent over 8 hours trying to put the glass back in Rich's van,,,,hope Rich aint paying him by the hour,,,,,,and don't worry about your exhaust systems, Joe,,,,I'll find a place to copy my patterns and make up some for you......
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Sat May 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Oh yeah, I got charged extra for trimming the windshield and the extra time. But I got a deal because he "put way more time into it than he's charging for!" He said he took extra care to not scratch the paint while fitting those side windows, especially the little ones. And he says the sun will help the rubber in the corners to lay down flat...

Don't worry Don, I haven't forgotten about the parts I owe ya! (Well, the recent ones anyway. I has been five years or so...)
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Tuesday I went to the body shop. I looked at all the stuff we'd talked about recently and the van is looking good! It's nice to see the van with some windows in. He's still buffing out a couple small areas. (They know I wasn't picking it up this week.) I paid the balance.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 17 Img_1810

High Res

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 17 Img_1811

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 17 Img_1710

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 17 Img_1813

But, you know me... I did point out one more thing that had been bugging me. And Scott, the new guy, said it would be a very easy touchup. I never liked where they masked off the parts of the grill that got painted black. They just need to make the black go just a little further on some of the bars. Then I'll be a happy camper!

BUT, I'll have to wait until after my vacation to pick it up now! I fly into Minneapolis this Friday and come back ten days later. So Don, mark your calendar and get your video camera charged up! I'll pick up the van Monday, 6/3.
    66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2012-09-24

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Wed May 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Looks good. Can't wait to check it out. Just don't park next to mine because it will make me want to start repainting mine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:06 pm