VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

wrap for headers

redvango
    redvango

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2015-06-27

wrap for headers  Empty wrap for headers

Post by redvango Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:45 am

I saw a show were they put heat wrap around the header pipes! I have clifford headers two -three into one and since I have to remove the rear pipes to get the leaf spring off the to put new bushing in I thought I mite go one step more and wrap the headers to help with heat between the seats down! Has anyone done this and did they notice much of a change for heat?
    WoodButcher
    WoodButcher

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2021-01-17

wrap for headers  Empty Re: wrap for headers

Post by WoodButcher Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:20 pm

Wrap will lower temps in the doghouse.
    If I had enough space to fit wrap in my '93 350 I would do it in a heartbeat. I use shorty spark plugs, need to use a cut socket and wrench to get the plugs out and often need to snug the bolts into the head, just don't have the space.
    I was thinking ceramic coating but saw a motor trend show recently where the differences between wrapped, coated, and plain headers were tested. The external temps were not what they were testing for primarily but it was noted that the wraps were significantly cooler outside where the ceramic coating was just a degree or two better than the plain steel. The wrap did increase horsepower.
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:35 pm

thanks for the reply!! I thought this is a no brainer and those with the second generation. vans like yours with V-8s would do as much as possible to keep the dog house cooler! I saw it on a show were it was to keep the fire wall getting hot and as you said a little more H.P! JOHN (REDVANGO) P.S. Your dog looks like he's ready for a drive! lol!
    WoodButcher
    WoodButcher

Post by WoodButcher Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:30 am

Hey John, yeah my pup guards my trucks when in the yard for 2 reasons, shade and rides.
    The '69 there I sold this summer, I haven't the time to take care of the needed work so I let her go. My '93 Safari I built in 2014 has SS shorty headers I need to replace so I did the research last summer before buying new again. I could buy the ceramic coated for an additional $300 or have a plain set coated for about the same but the reduction in underhood temps was negligible.  Wraps were the only good way I found to lower temps but when you put a small block in an astro things get tight so I gave up and purchased a new set of stainless headers and side pipes to put on when it warms up around here. I figure if I get another 10 year run I should be good to go.
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 am

Sorry to here you had to make that decision! the color looked really nice and a nice Toy that people say I remember when>>>> I'm sure who bought it could appreciate the work it take's to keep these old classic's going when part's are rare. The safari sounds like some adventure's coming your way!!
    WoodButcher
    WoodButcher

Post by WoodButcher Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:43 pm

I've got two, an '05 AWD astro as well, that one as a 6 liter. I use them both for work, repairs and upgrades on one as the other is hauling tools and my old ass to work! lol.
    One other thing comes to mind for the temps though, belly pan, do you have one?
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:43 am

Nope. As a lot of vans mechanic's leaf them off (broken bolts) or who knows? In the mid 80's I put a Honda civic radiator with a fan under the side doors behind the battery! So if I get off the freeway and the temp go'es up I turn the fan on and it will keep 180 degrees! Donivan said that where guy's put AC condenser's! I have clifford intake for carter 400cfm and the run the water though the intake to warm the fuel! In stead of going from thermostat to heater core it Go's though intake to the Honda rad. back to the water pump! Now I'm going to put a Y valve in so i can put the heater in line if My wife get's cold!?
    WoodButcher
    WoodButcher

Post by WoodButcher Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:17 pm

Cheap and easy to fab a scoop underneath to see if it may help. A test piece could be cobbled from aluminum flashing to see if it's worth building something proper. My '69 never had the pan on though I did repair one that was ready to go on. My doghouse had the old insulation still on top but I needed to keep a beach towel over it or I'd cook.
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:27 pm

wrap for headers  Resize35wrap for headers  Resize36                                    ........................................... .........I put this insulation in the dog house! Helped a little and the other is the Honda radiator with fan really helped the cooling temp.
    WoodButcher
    WoodButcher

Post by WoodButcher Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:54 am

Done all you can to insulate so that leaves you the wrap and increase airflow.
    Do you still have the mechanical fan on the motor? is it working properly?
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:39 am

I still have the water pump fan but thinking of two electric fan's so they'll run a little after the engine is off? I herd good and bad about those fan's?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:20 am