VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Header Wrap?

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Header Wrap? Empty Header Wrap?

Post by southern man Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:28 am

I have a 200" 6 in my econo and installed Clifford headers. I've probably only got a couple of hours on the engine since adding the headers and since I currently have the dog house off I was wondering if I should wrap them to keep the heat down in the doghouse. I'm not concerned about getting additional performance (but of course that would be nice) but I've insulated the doghouse with foil faced foam, which will likely greatly help cutting down the heat transfer but it does take up some room and probably limits some of the air that use to naturally circulate. I realize a separate electric fan may be needed but taking things a step at a time.

So, yay or nay? Any recommendations on brand/type? I just got a Jeg's catalog and they have several offerings.
    Henrik
    Henrik

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

Header Wrap? Empty Re: Header Wrap?

Post by Henrik Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:52 am

i had to wrap mine because my headers goes so close to the electrical wires,and i also bought heat insulation sleeves
    http://www.thermotec.com/products/14005-thermo-sleeve.html
    to protect the cables and transmission oil lines and speedometer cable.
    i´d rather be too careful than burn my wires and have to spend time repairing them during the summer.
    i already bought an electrical fan but have been too lazy to get it installed.
    Henrik
    Henrik

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

Post by Henrik Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:56 am

i used both thermo tec and DEI wrap both was ok.i painted the headers before i wrapped them so they dont rust so easy,and also put paint on the wrap so it doesnt suck all the dirt in them.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:24 pm

From the mouth of the great Eugene Phillips: Never ever wrap your headers, Get them jet hot coated. The will last three times as long and cut header heat from approx. 900 degrees to 500 degrees. You can drive for hours, shut the motor off and five minutes later put your hand on the header without getting burnt. Less heat , longer life, better mileage and more HP. It's a no brainer
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Yeah I knew you'd recommend the jet hot coat Mike. Problem is they are already on the van with the exhaust all hooked up. I'm not inclined to take them off at this point so I thought the wrap might still be a better alernative than nothing.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Too bad, bro. I don't know anyone that recommends wrapping headers anymore. Good luck. Those expensive Clifford headers won't last long.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:47 am