VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Header wrap?

62stationbus
    62stationbus

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2017-01-10

Header wrap? Empty Header wrap?

Post by 62stationbus Thu May 04, 2017 3:54 pm

on my never ending quest to reduce the heat inside my dog house (200[img]Header wrap? Cerami10[/img]straight 6), i've installed
    the champion alum. radiator, 16" electric fan, poured some "purple ice " in the rad. had the entire exhaust ceramic coated. Still seemed realy hot, i would get vapor lock after driving somewhere and then trying to restart 20 minutes later (3 carbs). Anyhow, i just bought this header wrap from amazon for $16.00, of course after buying it someone mentioned that it would destroy my exhaust!? Is there any merrit to that statement , does anyone here use it on your van? thanks!Header wrap? Wrappe10

Header wrap? Empty Re: Header wrap?

Post by Guest Thu May 04, 2017 4:09 pm

I have used header wrap on several projects over the years and never had a problem. The price you mentioned seems too small, wonder exactly what you've got. I've spent around $50 for a kit from NAPA, high quality stuff, would recommend it.

What does the wrap supposedly do to harm the headers? Admittedly, I don't keep my projects for years on end, 3 to 5 years is about all, and summer use only. Maybe I'm missing something. Always willing to learn.

I paint the headers with heat resistant paint first, then wrap. May have something to do with it.

Great looking set of pipes you've got there!
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Thu May 04, 2017 4:29 pm

The problem with header wrap is it retains moisture, causing the pipes underneath to rust out more quickly. Since you live in such a dry, arrid climate, this may not be an issue. As long as you keep the wrap dry.
    62stationbus
    62stationbus

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2017-01-10

Post by 62stationbus Thu May 04, 2017 4:32 pm

So since ive coated the exhaust, there shouldn't be any concern about corrosion?
    I just looked, i paid 17.99, here is the products description:Size:2 inches X 50 feet roll
    LEDAUT titanium heat wrap is made from Basalt Lava Rock and stranded into a fiber material and is engineered to be 25 percent

stronger than fiberglass exhaust wrap on the market today.

By wrapping the header and exhaust system, it maintains hotter exhaust gases, decreases the density, and that allows the exhaust gas to

exit the system faster. Greater exhaust scavenging is produced helping to lower air intake temperatures. This gives you more horsepower.

Volcanic header wrap also reduces radiant heat damage and can lower under hood temperatures by as much as 50 percent.

This hose wrap can withstands 1400F direct/2000F radiant heat,it can reduces heat under hood up to 50% that Will well protect the hose of

the engine system and also Protects drivers and mechanics from burns. Perfect for any automotive or motorcycle application.

Improving Car And Motorcycle Performance.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Fri May 05, 2017 7:12 pm

I used header wrap on my head pipe(no headers) and it definitely helps. But the modern formulations of gas are the real problem. I've found cracking the doghouse 4" or so when exiting is the best cure for heat soak. Eventually I'd like to put a fan at the rear of the doghouse in a little 1/4 round tunnel on a delay timer relay that will run the radiator fan and a fan back there for say 5 minutes after shutdown.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:30 pm