VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Resistance wire for thermostat sender unit

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 745
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Resistance wire for thermostat sender unit Empty Resistance wire for thermostat sender unit

Post by kiwimopar Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:57 am

Does anyone know the actual resistance of the resistance wire that is between the water temperature sender unit and the actual gauge?

https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/19/88/21/89/thermo10.jpg

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Resistance wire for thermostat sender unit Empty Re: Resistance wire for thermostat sender unit

Post by 69 Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:32 am

I've seen that as well, but did not have the original wire.
    Really makes almost no sense to me. I have the orig gauge and a plain cable with a new sending unit (conforming to typical Mopar application: 13-76 ohms).

kiwimopar likes this post

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Resistance wire for thermostat sender unit Empty Re: Resistance wire for thermostat sender unit

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:45 pm

That might not be a resistance wire in the schematic,,,,Dodge uses a current limiter built into the fuel gauge and runs a wire from it to power the temp gauge,,,that might be what the wiring diagram means,,,,so how about one of you see what the voltage is at the end of the temp wire with it connected and disconnected just to see what it is.

Post by 69 Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:33 am

The fuel gauge''s (mechanical) limiter puts out approx 6V. That's the usual voltage at Mopar instrument voltage limiters.
    Fuel gauge and water temp gauge are powered by it.

I've yet to see another Mopar setup with a resistance wire with those standard gauges and standard temp sensors... Smile
    dodtorcito
    dodtorcito

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2015-02-20

Post by dodtorcito Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:40 am

Hi!!
    That resistance cable if  for the scenario of temp sending unit fail grounded. Then, the temp gauge fries.
    I don´t know the value, but it must be below 10 ohm.

Happy vanning.

Post by 69 Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:37 am

Possible thought, but no other Mopar of those years has a resistance wire.

And, to be honest - if the temp gauge goes beyond "hot" you better shut off the engine anyway....

gmytych likes this post

dodtorcito
    dodtorcito

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2015-02-20

Post by dodtorcito Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:03 am

69 wrote:Possible thought, but no other Mopar of those years has a resistance wire.

And, to be honest - if the temp gauge goes beyond "hot" you better shut off the engine anyway....

Think in that scenario:
    You drive in a hot summer day and your temp gauge indicates correctly.
    You stop your car for lunch. The temp of the engine rises over the normal limits and stay this way during long time.
    All this time the temp sender is sensing passing his limit during this long time and fails burning and a close the circuit to ground with ZERO ohms.
    When you return to your car after the coffe, you start the car and the grounded temp sensor makes your gauge moves the needle to its maximun way. After a few seconds, your gauge is melted.
    If you would have a small resistance wire into the sender cable, your gauge would indicates a little lower than its maximun way and no melted gauge.
    Then you stop the car and see what´s happening. Cool  Very Happy

Enjoy.

gmytych and kiwimopar like this post

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 745
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:17 am

dodtorcito wrote:
    69 wrote:Possible thought, but no other Mopar of those years has a resistance wire.

Think in that scenario:
    You drive in a hot summer day and your temp gauge indicates correctly.
    You stop your car for lunch. The temp of the engine rises over the normal limits and stay this way during long time.
    All this time the temp sender is sensing passing his limit during this long time and fails burning and a close the circuit to ground with ZERO ohms.
    When you return to your car after the coffe, you start the car and the grounded temp sensor makes your gauge moves the needle to its maximun way. After a few seconds, your gauge is melted.
    If you would have a small resistance wire into the sender cable, your gauge would indicates a little lower than its maximun way and no melted gauge.
    Then you stop the car and see what´s happening. Cool  Very Happy

Enjoy.

I managed to find my original wiring loom, and it has some resistance built in - it's like a nichrome wire/resistance wire.... I measured 5.1 ohms.

Looks like I will just build a 5W porcelain resistor to that measurement and hide it in the loom behind the dash.

Thanks for the contributions to the question.

gmytych likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:14 pm