VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Gas tank sender unit resistance

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Gas tank sender unit resistance Empty Gas tank sender unit resistance

Post by kiwimopar Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:21 am

...was going to title this thread "When eBay goods go bad"
    Been having problems with a couple of items bought off eBay a while ago. First up my new speedo cable tied itself in knots - ended up re-installing my original damaged case unit - works fine, just looks a bit rough.

Now my gas tank sender unit has given me incorrect information whilst out in the middle of nowhere Shocked

Question: can anyone who has one or recently used/bought one please give me the measurements of resistance "full + empty" of the sender unit please. I bought the unit from the big seller on eBay who has these occasionally, but can't remember his name to pose a question on an auction.

help appreciated...as I plan to buy an aftermarket gauge, but need the resistance values to pick the correct unit.

Thanks Very Happy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Gas tank sender unit resistance Empty Re: Gas tank sender unit resistance

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:57 am

Well,,,,,,,let me tell you what I am thinking,,,,,Dodge stole those 6 volt gas and temperature gauges from Ford,,,,,so the gas gauge probably has the current limiter built into it that cuts the voltage down to 6 volts and sends it to the temperature gauge also. And I think you can pull the wire off the temperature sender and see if you got 6 volts there to test that voltage limiter. And then as for resistance for the sending units, I am thinking 4 ohms is Full,,,,,,maybe 40 is Empty. So thats what I think, and this might have changed a little depending on the year of the van.....so lets see if someone has a better answer,,,,,
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Yahoo Group's GOERGE!!'s sending unit is a slightly modified (bent) A-Body unit. It read Full=11 ohms and Empty=73 ohms

If you use a Digital multi meter you really can't read the voltage to ground due to the points style voltage limiter. An analog meter is the way to go.

btw - A little ATF in the speedo cable may help you out in the future. I still have to install my Rockauto.com cable.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:57 pm

itruns wrote:Yahoo Group's GOERGE!!'s sending unit is a slightly modified (bent) A-Body unit. It read Full=11 ohms and Empty=73 ohms

If you use a Digital multi meter you really can't read the voltage to ground due to the points style voltage limiter. An analog meter is the way to go.

btw - A little ATF in the speedo cable may help you out in the future. I still have to install my Rockauto.com cable.

Thanks for the reply - I found the seller 'vansautollc' and the resistance is 10-75 ohms. Now I just need some clever components to make a gauge work Rolling Eyes

slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:19 am

kiwimopar wrote:
    itruns wrote:Yahoo Group's GOERGE!!'s sending unit is a slightly modified (bent) A-Body unit. It read Full=11 ohms and Empty=73 ohms

Thanks for the reply - I found the seller 'vansautollc' and the resistance is 10-75 ohms. Now I just need some clever components to make a gauge work Rolling Eyes

Two flashlight batteries placed end to end (3 volts) moves a good
    gauge up to about halfway. Three batteries push it to about 100
    percent. The terminals on the back of the gas gauge are marked "A,"
    "S," and "I." Test it with the "I" and "S" terminals.

"Mike" at D&M restorations can bypass/remove the stock
    limiter and repair the fuel gauge part if needed.
    website is:
    http://www.dandmrestoration.com/contact

also, my "ebay" tank float reads about 5 gallons low. i.e. 10 gallons of gas = 1/4 tank, 15 gallons will push it to 3/4 tank, 20 will top it off. I just keep more than 1/4 tank in it all the time Smile
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Also, most aftermarket gauges have a resistance sweep similar to a GM, not a Mopar. If you plan on going aftermarket, figure out what you want and go from there.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/fuel_gauge_diagnosis.htm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:31 am