VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Twinpilot001
Jazontyler
6 posters

what thermostat are you using?

Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2011-12-29

what thermostat are you using? Empty what thermostat are you using?

Post by Jazontyler Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:21 am

I have a 160 degree stat in my 200ci now. It has a big new 3 core radiator in there and the temperature gauge barely moves above the minimum reading point. I am in TX, so that should change soon, but my problem now is that I need to run with the choke partially on all the time or it sputters. I am wondering if this could be due to the fact that the engine really isn't warm enough? Any thoughts?

I plan to play with my main jet to see if it might just be running too lean, and put a fuel pressure gauge inline to see if I might be inadvertently starving it.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

what thermostat are you using? Empty too cold!!

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 am

Should be @ 180 to get all warmed up nicely - i know as being from texas for 40 years ive done all that uve done = experience -180F If its getting a hot temp on ya =look into a cooling problem=ie: radiator fan shroud, or/?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

what thermostat are you using? Empty Re: what thermostat are you using?

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:04 am

As a test, I guess you could try and put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to cut down the air through it to raise up the coolant temperature and see what the engine likes,,,,,cut different sized holes in the cardboard to vary the amount of air getting to the radiator,,,,If you got a good radiator and an electric fan, it could bring the temperature down BELOW what the thermostat is set at. If I leave my electric fan on too long, the engine will start bucking as the coolant gets under 170 degrees, regardless of what the outside temperature is,,,,,
    Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Post by Jazontyler Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 am

Good idea. Part of my problem is that the guy who installed the new rad left the original (non-clutch) fan on, so it is always pushing air through the rad. I ordered a electric fan to take care of that.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 am

I think another thing is that the carburetor is cold blooded,,,,so they run the heater hoses to a block under the carburetor to keep it warm,,,,do you have that set up?
    Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Post by Jazontyler Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Hmmm, will check. Thanks for the heads up.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 pm

The autoparts stores in my area dont carry the 160 degree thermostat's anymore.
    LVMtnMan
    LVMtnMan

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2013-05-05

Post by LVMtnMan Mon May 06, 2013 9:31 pm

I have a 170 in my 64 and I just put in a 195 thermo in. Suffice to say it warms up really fast. I have the little block under the carb that the heating hoses connect to as well. I've only been running it for one day, so I can't really say how well it's working. Tomorrow I'm ordering a champion 3 core alluminum radiator with a 16" puller behind it rated at 2500 cfm. I don't know much about cooling system other than the components haha. Do I need to bring my thermo down to 180? or with that radiator and fan will it work out?

P.S. I'm in Vegas and it get mucho hot here in the summer
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Tue May 07, 2013 1:20 am

Oreilly Auto Parts is stocking the 160 degree thermostats in my area now. I run 195 in the winter & a 160 degree in the summer. I would try a 160 & see how it does. If it doesn't help then you might want to consider a fan with more blades or a electric fan. I think that a lot of the guys here are running the electric fans.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Tue May 07, 2013 5:11 am

My temp guage acted just like yours for quite a while, until I changed the temp sending unit and then it read properly. As far as the stalling, could be carberation. Even on a cold start mine only needs the choke on for a couple of minutes and then it will run fine...So Im thinking you have two unrelated issues. Im running a 180 in my epup, new radiator, thermostat.. Runs good, temp is good, heater works good.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue May 07, 2013 6:03 am

from experience = 170 on low side & usually 180 always . if too low a temp rating just stays open always .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 pm