VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

68 g10 90 blues

68 g10 90 blues Empty 68 g10 90 blues

Post by Guest Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:37 am

After looking for more than 6 months for an early, one shows up about 5 min. from my house.
    Now the problem, the van is primered out and inside hand painted black, i can see some bondo work on the outside not alot but some. The windshield is badly cracked.
    Asked the owner (former used car salesman) what he wants for it. He states the engine smokes a little on start up and wants 2500 firm. In my opionion way too much for the condition of the van all window rubber is shot and fuzzies also. The van is a 250 6cyl. 3 on tree also may have been a phone company van as 1 side is solid panel and the passenger side display window.
    I give him my card and tell him to call me if he decides to go down on price. 3 days later i go back to take a better look at the van (it was on my mind alot as we don't see many earlies down here) this time i notice some windshield edge bondo and bottom of rear door, asked him to start it for me this time and this thing smokes to the high heavens and when he gives it the thottle it smokes even more, no knocks just plenty smoke. I offer him 1500 and tell him to call me if he decides to go down on price.
    Sorry this is so long. What would a new windshield cost (i saw 1 online but for 600 a little steep for a windshield) and the engine smoking bad i figure new rings and a head job .From what i described would you think 1500 is a fair offer?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

68 g10 90 blues Empty Re: 68 g10 90 blues

Post by Digz Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:57 am

Wait and see what the other guys say , but sounds more like a 500$ project to me. ya start tossin 100$ bills at it, its gonna climb in a hurry. bondo around the windshield? From what I have run into that would make me very caustious for that kind of coin.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:04 am

walk away, sounds like alot of hidden damage plus the motor sounds shot. Look for one out west for that money and you'll have a very solid van that runs. A old phone co. van was most likely ran to death. I have been where you are when looking and you think you can fix it, but it will only cost you more. You find one nice and close and you get excited to buy it.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:22 am

Guys thanks alot for the feedback, just what i was looking for.
    I too thought the price was high and g-man hit the nail on the head when he said you see one close by and get excited. Thanks for the advice i think i'll keep on looking.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:01 pm

If you see Bondo, you can expect that there is at least 50% more rust underneath in that area just waiting its turn to pop up,,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:31 am