VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Mustang II front end install

SamHite
    SamHite

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2012-09-05

Mustang II front end install Empty Mustang II front end install

Post by SamHite Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:46 am

Has anyone installed a Mustang II kit front end? How difficult was it? How did you deal with the angle of the steering rack input? I called Heidt to start the purchase process & the representative told me I should figure out how to deal with steering prior to purchase. I saw the one on a TV show, they used a Subaru gearbox to get it to line up.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Mustang II front end install Empty Re: Mustang II front end install

Post by Seth G Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:40 pm

There have been a number of documented IFS builds on the site over years. If you do a search for builds in the E general and E bettween seat forums you'll find them.

I'd love to do it myself, it's a ton of work.

Here's a couple I found with a quick search,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t27181-mustang-ii-ifs-build?highlight=Build

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t31312-operation-breadbox

Also, you might call Scott's Hodrods, they offer an IFS kit specific to our vans, it's not cheap:

http://www.scottshotrods.com/scotts-hotrods-cab-over-vantruck-ifs/

Dalton likes this post

13-ball
    13-ball

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2020-07-23

Post by 13-ball Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:18 pm

I'm in the middle of that right now.  It's a lot of work!  I used the Isuzu Rodeo steering transfer box - mainly because I liked the mount flange more than the Vanagon one.  In hindsight it may have been better to rotate the steering rack so the input shaft faces more horizontal and forward - even with the V box.  I was obsessing about tucking everything up and high....    In my case I'm gonna have to bump up the floor a little right where the rack shaft u-joint is.  Also, routing the shaft would be much easier with a non-power brake master cylinder setup.

Flaming River has a transfer box called the VDOG that I found after I got the Rodeo one.  If you like new parts more than junkyard stuff.

Mustang II front end install 20200810
    Mustang II front end install 20201110
    Mustang II front end install 20201111

savage and jrdunn96 like this post

PizzaChop
    PizzaChop

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2017-11-21

Post by PizzaChop Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:32 pm

I'm in the middle of a 1965 Falcon Van IFS conversion and probably going to create a thread documenting my progress (or lack thereof).   Not for the squeamish or faint of heart, but definitely doable with the right skillsets.

302/AOD using stock (modified) engine mount/cradle and utilizing existing unibody( frame "rails" to accept the slide-in subframe for the IFS.  Generic crossmember (29-30") purchased off ebay (on clearance) and control arms from Full Tilt Hotrods (Grand Jct, CO). Izusu Rodeo steering box, generic power rack I found on craigslist along with some Mustang2 spindles/rotors.

With a slightly lowered stance (coil springs), my approach may not work for anyone wishing to "slam" their front end but I'm hoping by documenting everything, it may make it easier for the next person

Here is the thread I just started.

.Mustang II front end install Ifs_in11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:24 am