VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Radiator repair

apedave
    apedave

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2017-05-09

Radiator repair Empty Radiator repair

Post by apedave Wed May 16, 2018 3:28 pm

I got home from a drive yesterday and there was a puddle forming under the van. It was not over heating, the top and bottom hoses were interact, then I saw coolant coming out of the radiator about half way up, about an inch in from the passenger side.
    I have replaced radiators, but never dealt with repairing one. Are there any repair options that are worth half a damn short of having it rebuilt?
    If I do need to replace it, are there any new radiators out there to be had, or is it a matter of custom built or finding a serviceable used one?
    Thanks for any info anyone may have!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Radiator repair Empty Re: Radiator repair

Post by vanny Wed May 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Here's a thread on the subject that might prove useful to you. Hope it helps!
    If you read the input from members and scroll down where there is a link to a Champion radiator that fits these vans.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t39675-a100-radiators?highlight=radiators

Let us know if this works out for you!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed May 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Well,,,,,if you want to stop the leak,,,,,the tube is like a straw connecting the top and bottom tanks,,,,,coolant flows down from the top tank through  each tube,,,,so if one or more are leaking, you can rip off the fins around it, find the hole solder it or cut it and bend each shut then solder them,,,,radiator aint going to care if a couple of tubes are missing or blocked off,,,,a radiator pressure tester or pumping a few pounds of air into the overflow fitting will force the coolant out to find where its leaking,,,,,you can have the radiator recored where they solder your tanks on a new core or find something to make work,,,,,so you got choices,,,,
    apedave
    apedave

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2017-05-09

Post by apedave Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 pm

Thank you guys very much! That champion item looks promising. The van is not driveable right now anyway, so I think I will pull the radiator to inspect the damage on the bench, and go from there. Hopefully repair is an option, but it's nice to see that this might not turn into a $500 endeavour.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:02 am