VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
savage
G-Man
wacko
7 posters

Frame repair?

wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Frame repair? Empty Frame repair?

Post by wacko Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:19 pm

Ok so this is the repair that scares me the most. I will be taking it somewhere to get this done professionally, but would like some advice on where, and am wondering if anyone has made this type of repair and what I might expect to pay to have it done. It is just the passenger side, front around the spring mount.

Frame repair? Frame110

Frame repair? Frame210

Frame repair? Frame310

Frame repair? Frame410
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Frame repair? Empty Re: Frame repair?

Post by G-Man Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:16 am

I have seen your repairs to your project so far and feel this is something I think you could do. It will be alot of work, but feel you have the talent to do it.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:41 am

I have done rear spring mount repair , but haven't ever seen a front one with rust like that. Right where the horn would be bolted. Was there a bunch of stuff in the frame(dirt, mud,animal food) that held moisture??
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:41 am

Yeah. If you have a HD stick welder and you are good with it it can be done a whole lot cheaper than paying the shop. They will charge you out the $whazzoo$ for framework, especially if it involves the spring mounts.
    Best bet would to try and find some "U" stock with a 2 1/2" Dia. It is the easiest, strongest and safest way to repair the frame at the spring mounts...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Frame repair? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:32 am

Well when I first got my van last spring, I got all the lights working an and took it in for the safety inspection so I could register it here in BC and it failed. One of the reasons was the rust on the frame rail. They said i would have to have a certified welder repair it, then bring it in before I painted it.

Do you think I would be better off taking it to a welding shop or a autobody shop?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:50 am

Your choice. I would ask to see some of their work before commiting just to make sure of the quality of their work... Now a day you just never know..

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Frame repair? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:52 pm

If i were to do it myself would I cut out sections at a time and patch it or do I want something to weld overtop of what is currently there?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:42 pm

I would try to cut out the whole section, then make the whole section then weld it in.
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:01 pm

If you look at it there are 2 layers of metal there. Ones the frame and ones like the crumple zone(bumper mount) that stops just before the sway bar mounts on the frame.The spring mount is welded to that. I don't thing most body shops would have a Certified welder??
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:40 pm

This is what I might would try, first cut the spring hanger loose from the frame rail, it looks like rust is trying to push it apart anyway, a grinder or cut off wheel and a drill for the spot welds. Then remove the worst of the rust on the frame rail itself, open it up abit, and get what ya can on the inside too , and pour the rust fix to it inside and out. then wrap it up with new metal, the top is probably more solid and would be best to fasten to also maybe pop in some 3/8 to 1/2 in holes where weldable metal is still behind it, make the patches span as much as possible. remember to measure where the hanger is from some fixed point. then relocate that and weld it back in thru the holes and wherever it was originally welded, Your just anchoring the spring hanger ,the unibody will pretty much support itself, I know you have "rules" up there in canada so you might have to have a certified welder do it or have it ready for him to save ya some $, If it was here I would just use a mig on it. Good luck ,, thats a tough one.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Frame repair? Chevy_23

Frame repair? Chevy_24
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:51 pm

What type of metal do I need to buy to make the repairs? It is 1/8" thick, can I just use 10 Gauge sheet metal?
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:57 am

Hey Savage, I understand what you mean about the two layers. Would I be better off doing it in two layers again, spot welding the second layer on top (as well as seam welding it) or using a gauge steel that is the thickness of the two layers.
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:15 am

Now that I look at the photos from Donivan again, it seems as though the frame does NOT run up through the effected area. So then it would only be one layer? Anybody confirm or deny this?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:53 am

Wanted to chime in on another point wacko... if your other van was inspected and failed due to rusty frame rails, that doesn't mean it needs to be professsionally repaired. If you do the repair before it's ever inspected, then they cannot say there was ever a problem. Some shops will try to hook you into hiring the same shop to do the work.

Now, when I did my patch panels on my Chev before an out-of-province insp, I did not hide the fact that I welded patch panels in... they were not smoothly finished. The garage harped on it and charged me $100 to "clean up the poor welds", but they never touched it... $100 was less than a second inspection. So if you are getting an inspection done, make the repair as invisible as possible so it's difficult to identify any work.
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:00 pm

It is the same van. Do you know if I take it to a different shop for the second inspection will they have a record of what failed before?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:16 pm

You need to do it piece by piece, its way easier than trying to do it all at once,,,,,maybe some angle iron for the sides and cap off the bottom. Those are the front bumper extensions and overlap the frame by a few inches.

Frame repair? Workin44

Frame repair? Workin45

Frame repair? Workin46

Frame repair? Workin47

Frame repair? Workin48

Frame repair? Workin49

Frame repair? Workin50
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 pm

When I was looking at your 4th pic, you can see 2 layers in the hole in frame. Dons pic is of drivers side,the dip in frame is where the stering box goes,so not sure if its the same as pass side?? Need to go look under mine??[img]Frame repair? File0410[/img] Heres a page from the manual with some of the frame dimensions hope it helps??
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:22 pm

They may have to file the inspection with the Govt... but if another garage does an inspection and does not find fault with it, it will pass. Even if the same garage can be encouraged to pass it (although it was my agreement to pay for a bogus welding repair... $100 is less than $140).

If you can fix it, you don't need a receipt to prove it's fixed... that's what the inspection is for.

On mine, the I knew they would fail the wheel alignment (free money for them, because most backyard guys don't have the equipment to prove their alignment IS good. So with the inspection fee of $140, wheel alignment for I don't know how much, some suspension repairs that would warrant said alignment... I was in pretty deep with this garage. I had a choice of starting from scratch with a fresh inspection for another $140 PLUS another wheel alignment, and maybe them failing other stupid things... it was cheaper to say the 1st garage repaired my welding. After buying and installing new brake parts and some hoses, my rust repairs, the inspection, and bogus welding charges, my $500 British Columbia 85 Chev G20 cost me $1500 total to get on the road.

wacko wrote:It is the same van. Do you know if I take it to a different shop for the second inspection will they have a record of what failed before?
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:21 pm

I'm glad I live in the USA. Here in IN you can drive what ever old rust bucket- death trap you want ,and the State or Gov can't tell you no, as long as your vin # matches the title. (or you pay $$ for new one??)
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:53 pm

savage wrote:I'm glad I live in the USA. Here in IN you can drive what ever old rust bucket- death trap you want ,and the State or Gov can't tell you no, as long as your vin # matches the title. (or you pay $$ for new one??)

I'm with Savage on this one. I've traveled to many countries in my 25 years in the military before retiring this year and most of them have vehicle inspections and they can be rough sometimes.

Glad I'm moving back to Michigan next summer where anything goes.........
    Frame repair? Untitl11

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Frame repair? Qr_cod10

wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:10 am

Ok so I cut out the bad metal and finalliy finished my frame repairs. I still need to finish with a touch of filler, sand and paint.

Frame repair? 2971063180103359889S600x600Q85

Frame repair? 2510379380103359889S600x600Q85

Frame repair? 2448948640103359889S600x600Q85

Frame repair? 2327453270103359889S600x600Q85

Frame repair? 2064068750103359889S600x600Q85
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 am

I got Xs wacko... was wanting to see it... maybe when I get home.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:23 pm

That'll hold!!! Nice job
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:34 pm

Lookin good Wacko. I Know that has been an issue for some time now. Glad you got it taken care of.... cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Frame repair? Qr_cod10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:19 am