VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Turbo 240 w/EFI

jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Turbo 240 w/EFI Empty Turbo 240 w/EFI

Post by jdlaugh Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Never satisfied with leaving well enough alone, I'm in the process of building a EFI turbo setup for my '65 Econoline pickup using the original 240ci engine. I've built and installed a MegaSquirt EFI system controlling a Chevy throttle body injection (TBI) setup. The turbo is hanging back by the transmission and hooks up to a custom exhaust using two rear EFI manifolds from a 90s F150 4.9. It's still a work in progress, but coming along nicely.

I'm still finishing up body work while slowly putting together the turbo setup, and still a few weeks away (at least) from getting it driveable. It's been an interesting challenge so far. I'm hopeful that 7-8 pounds of boost from the little Subaru WRX turbo will really wake up the 240 -- although it already ran fine on the old single barrel carb.

Turbo 240 w/EFI Turbo_11

The turbo hangs back by the transmission and is supported by a fixed hanger attached to the transmission and a flexible hanger bolted to the bed floor. The tiny intercooler is horizontal to the air flow under the truck, and I'm not sure how much cooling it will provide, but probably better than nothing.

Right now the turbo is drawing air through a cone filter above the intercooler next to the bed floor. I'm still debating whether I should route a pipe to the front of the truck or just leave it there.

Turbo 240 w/EFI Intake12

The intake pipe is routed between the headers. I plan to wrap the headers to help reduce heat in the doghouse and also keep the intake air a little cooler.

Turbo 240 w/EFI Intake10

I build a custom intake plenum to direct air into the TBI. It easily fits inside the doghouse.
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Turbo 240 w/EFI Empty Re: Turbo 240 w/EFI

Post by jrdunn96 Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:28 pm

JD,
    What if you put a fan on your intercooler.  Here is a link to a thread about transmission coolers.  Vic uses a trans cooler mounted similar that comes with it's own fan.  I thought that might help the efficiancy of your intercooler.  Just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.
    Jim
    Trans cooler thread.

Last edited by jrdunn96 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the link.)
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm leaning toward an air scoop to direct air up through the intercooler. My only concern would be how much road crap it would catch along with the air... I'd prefer not to use a fan, because it's just another thing to buy, wire up and potentially to fail. But, something to consider if the intake temps are just too hot.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Number of posts : 167
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post by ramian09 Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Dang oh dang that looks rad!!! You beat me lol my header is taking forever...mainly because I have to keep up with my day job lol. Did you make that intake manifold that is bolted to the head or is that a stock one off of something? Looks great
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:37 pm

The intake manifold is custom. I bought the flange from a guy on ebay and fabbed the rest. The runners are made from 16 gauge exhaust tubing.

Last edited by jdlaugh on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:48 pm

JD, did you get the megasquirt map/thing worked out? How's it running with the TBI? I.e., good to go cross-country or still working on it?
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:54 pm

I got it running fine around the neighborhood. My fuel pump surge tank arrangement didnt really work; i would basically run out of gas above half throttle. I've installed an in-tank high volume pump that should solve that problem. Haven't tried it yet.

Everything I'm doing is custom and I'm flying by the seat of my pants most of the time. Lots of trial and error. But it has been fun. One of these days I may even get it finished! Cool
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:15 am

What size turbo is that? I know you said it was off a WRX but I was wondering if you knew any other info about it ie inducer or turbine wheel size, or the A/R? I'm just curious how it compares to what I am going to use. I know very little about forced induction and I basically bought what I was told too lol. I have had a lot of help from forums and phone calls from what I call the pros. Basically I asked a ton of questions and then bought what they told me to Hehe. Are you going to have a turbo speed sensor are you worrie at all shit over spooling it?
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:00 am

You could fill several books with what I don't know about turbos. I don't know the stats on my turbo. I just looked at the compressor map and decided it would be a good match for the 240 based on air flow cfm.

No turbo speed sensor. Don't think its needed. Not exactly a race car...
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Haha perfect yep there is a lot of unknowns on my project also. My is a T-4 housing with a 62 mm compressor wheel and a 58mm turbine wheel. With an A/R of .83. Basically German to me still lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:46 am