VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Seth G
stanyon
6 posters

Transmission Cooler

stanyon
    stanyon

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2013-08-29

transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler Empty Transmission Cooler

Post by stanyon Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:27 pm

Some where Vic Posted a picture of a Transmission Cooler and Fan which appeared to have been mounted behind the transmission, any one know what radiator and fan combo he used ? I spent two hours to-day looking under hoods and the smallest fan I found was a 9" off a Chrysler product of some sort.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler Empty Re: Transmission Cooler

Post by Seth G Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:49 pm

You must be planning on running that thing pretty hard! Wink It does get pretty hot over there though. I think he used an aftermarket A/T cooler. I'm just going to run mine in the radiator loop, for now at least. I figure if it's good enough for Ford with a 302 it's good enough for me, but it doesn't get so hot here either and I'm not planning on pulling much.

Last edited by Seth G on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:54 pm

here- summit & jegs has = I personally like the dual tube setup for tranny oil &  engine oil cooling with fans.  

http://www.jegs.com/pt/Auto+Trans+Oil+Cooler

Here is the dual pass unit =
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/15220/10002/-1
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:41 pm

Yeah, you may as well cool the oil while you're at it if need be.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:53 am

SEEMS that some forgot the main jest of it,,,,  LOL>....  I have  been posting pictures and explanations over and over for ten years now at the very least??????????????????????????????
     Everyone complains of gasoline smell, carb percolation and over heating in ours for an even longer time than that.>>> LOL>....
     Our trucks have a heat pump inside of a barbecue and then people insulate that because they dont want to hear it or feel it.... ANY heat load that you can take off of our radiator is a plus,, PERIOD....
    It doesnt mean you will run it hard,,,  LOL.... but that the torque converter makes heat and what sense does it make to take that heat from it slipping and creating heat and then throw it right back at the motor<<<<<<<<<<<<<  has NOTHING to do with working it hard,,,,, has to do with making it last longer and dumping the heat some where else instead of right back into the oven....
      I posted the pictures of a De Ralle unit, double teared cooler with a reversible fan.  Like posted so many times,, run it hot 24/7 through a relay so it cools while you are having breakfast or dinner, shuts itself off or on. Run it through aluminum or copper tubing and adds even more cooling.
    Not going to go through a long explanation, again,  it works and will cost you about $200 including a canister filter also.... how many of you drop your pan and replace the tranny filter,,, LOL.
    Old Skool,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cant work on orders when posting,,,,,

transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler 100_0511

transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler 100_0312

transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler 100_1110

transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler 100_0610

transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler 100_0512
    transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler 100_0313
    stanyon
    stanyon

Post by stanyon Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks Vic, Those were the pictures I was referring to and the info on what you used is really appreciated. I really dislike re-inventing a mousetrap, only to find out some one else has already done that, and came up with a better mousetrap then my effort produced..
    stanyon
    stanyon

Post by stanyon Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Vic' do you have a picture of the E-Brake cables and the transmission cooler ? I dummied mine up and the fan housing is going to interfere with the brake cable.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:06 am

Not understanding??????????   The transmission cooler doesn't come anywhere close to the E brake cables????? I run the cooler on the inside of the frame rails. I have seen a few installs of where the person ran the cooler on the outside which seemed kinda dumb to me as I wouldn't want  all the dirt, rocks, snow, you name it to come off of the tires and hit directly onto the cooler>????????
     Here is a picture of the first one I did over ten years ago on my 62 as well as the newer location I now do them at.
    Old Skool

transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler 100_0510

transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler 000_0611
    transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler 100_1110
    stanyon
    stanyon

Post by stanyon Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks again for the pictures Vic, I got it figured out. I mounted mine in the opening directly behind the transmission, between the two cross members. Anyway a little bending of the bellcrank for the e-brake cables and everything is clear.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:44 pm

KOOL !!!!
    'fish
    'fish

Number of posts : 222
    Registration date : 2011-12-27

Post by 'fish Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:44 am

One of the reasons you have the radiator and tranny cooler together is consistent temp of both units, if you put the cooler in front of the radiator and use an thermostatically controled electric fan it would be much better solution, putting it under the van leaves the rubber tubes exposed to being cut by a rock or metal debris from the road, not likely but possible, putting a electric fan on it using a thermostat so it will stay on when the car is not moving or parked will reduce the overall running temps and the engine and tranny life will be greatly extended as a result, the main problem with the doghouse set up is the mechanical fan once you change that out your going to see a big difference.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:12 am

I  came up with the idea in 1990 and have been running the setup since then, as well as MANY other peoples also. Most importantly, aside the time frame, MANY high end rods, several high end 4whl drive rigs and now even an option or standard equipment on many OEM trucks.   It works. With all of that, there has always been someone trying to tear the idea apart, but the facts have well outlasted the comments,,,,,

First  of all,,,  rubber lines are for "lazy" people in addition to rubber lines being an insulator and not a cooling line. Personally I run copper and good luck with putting a hole in it, as well as additional cooling. Next is that the torque converter is a clutch and when you are in gear, in stop and go traffic and its so hot you could cook eggs on the roof, the torque converter is making heat.  Its slipping and a WELL  known cause of heat.
       Next, neither the engine or transmission start off hot and then get cooled.  By running the fluid in series through the radiator gradually cools which ever end is over heating, and pre warms the trans fluid also. Next, by running a thermostat wired hot all the time, lets me know (aside the gauges, if needed) cools the fluid while the truck is shut off.  YES,,, I have heard the comments since 1990 that it does no good if the fluid is not moving,,, I say, (???????),,,, heat transfers and if the remote unit is cooling fluid in it, the heat WILL transfer to it,, that in addtion to running metal lines. BTW,,,,,,,,,on that subject if I was worried about a rock hitting something and breaking something,,, I guess I could pull it on a trailer. (pulled by a truck with a fan cooled transmission cooler),,, LOL....  I have used this setup on many cars and trucks that do NOT have a doghouse like we do. WHICH people insulate to keep noise and heat inside of it.  There is NO room for the heat to go away,, and insulating it even making it worse.....
      I also have talked about using the same setup on the radiator itself, meaning NO mechanical fan. A mechanical fan, aside wasting horse power,, does NOT operate while the truck is parked, thus the OLDEST complaint in regards to THE SMELL OF GASOLINE fumes.  Meaning that the gasoline is cooking inside of the insulated oven (doghouse). With NO air movement the heat sits there until it can finally escape. An electric fan blowing across the doghouse will move the air and when combined with a fan cooled transmission cooler DOES work and you WILL see a big improvement.
      In regards to the radiator and the trans cooler mounted together, it is well known and talked about as to the how "inefficient" the internal cooler inside of the radiator is, as well as the age old comments as to if you fry an engine you have also fried the transmission.  Also,, in a car or truck the heat can dissipate much easier than our doghouse can ever think of. So, WHY???   would anyone even consider taking the transmission heat and then dropping that heat right back into the radiator load also,,,,  Take the heat from the transmission, pump it into the radiator and then re pump it again and again????   
    Old Skool

transmission cooler - Transmission Cooler 100_0312
    'fish
    'fish

Number of posts : 222
    Registration date : 2011-12-27

Post by 'fish Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:37 am

Of course it will work, its just not the best solution, its not just the fluid your cooling but removing the entire heat soak contained in the doghouse, by flowing air while the vehicle is stopped but on makes a huge difference, thats why all new cars work that way.

I didnt mean to step on your toes its obvious this is a passion for you, however you will have to admit Ford does have some pretty good automotive engineers which would make you wonder why they always put the tranny cooler on or in the radiator rather than a remote location?
    A shrouded radiator with the correct tranny cooler with an thermostatically controlled electric fan will give you the closest to modern factory cooling and longevity by far the simplest instal (you can get all parts from another car ready to use) were talking about 6 cylinder and small V8s here nothing difficult there, now if your putting a 672 in there well you have other problems to start with lol...
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:17 pm

'fish wrote:...however you will have to admit Ford does have some pretty good automotive engineers which would make you wonder why they always put the tranny cooler on or in the radiator rather than a remote location?

Cheaper, easier, not necessarily better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 pm