VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions?

NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions? Empty Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions?

Post by NoBiggie Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 pm

My transmission cooler is leaking, and the whole area on the passenger side behind it is covered with fluid.

Is there a better solution than these rubber hoses? Can it be run all the way to the cooler with hard lines instead of having the short rubber hoses?

Any suggestions appreciated! I am going to be installing the new leaf springs, axle, etc. and don't want all this fluid getting all over them.

Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions? Transmission_cooler1
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions? Empty Re: Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions?

Post by Big W Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Are your steel lines flared at the ends? I've had lines leak before, then flared them and found that the rubber hose fits tighter over them and no leaks since then. Rubber hose should swell slightly over flared lines to make for a tight fit once hose clamp is tight. just like a rad hose. Also if they are flared, hose may be wrong size for the lines....did that before also...lol.
    NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions? Empty Re: Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions?

Post by NoBiggie Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:14 pm

I haven't taken it apart yet, wanted to get some ideas first.

I haven't messed with these before, will I lose all the transmission fluid when I undo the rubber hose? Not sure how big a mess it's going to be, just want to be prepared.

Here are a few suggestions I found online. Is this what you are talking about?

Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions? Transmission_line_leak_fix_07

Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions? Transmission_cooler_installation_hose_barb
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:03 pm

here's mine TH350 trans. The hose that came with the trans cooler was really snug, had to wiggle it on and no leaks at the cooler. The hard line I cut and flared from trans was a wiggle fit as well and it works perfectly. Try using a tighter fitting rubber hose Hope this helps.Transmission Cooler Hose Leak - Suggestions? Trans_10
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:39 am

It looks like the trans cooler it using a larger tube than the supply and return tube. that should be were the problem is.try using half the hose then a reducer fitting and then a smaller hose. and no you won't lose all your fluid but yes you will lose some if you cut the hose put a bolt in the hose to plug it,don't use plastic. try a brass one from a local hardware and the hose needs to be for transmitions lines from a auto parts store or the fluid will eat the rubber hose. this link will give you the idea. https://www.forneyind.com/store/results/?product_category_id=733

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:26 am

get some brass hose barb fittings that will replace the metsl lines @ the tranny - put hoses on those =no leaks!!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 am

hey no biggie-in that 1st pic = looks as if the fluid is leaking =DOWN the cooler? maybe a small hole in the actual cooler @ other end than lines are on??
    NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Post by NoBiggie Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a closer look. Twin I thought it was weird the fluid is running down the cooler on the outside as well.

I will check the topside first if I can get up there to see it. It might all be coming from the top.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:21 am

start it up & see where the leak is ?? affraid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:38 am