VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Russell
kaz
m1dadio
JackeFriend
jrinaman
vanny
samsvan
11 posters

It's Bed Time

samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

It's Bed Time Empty It's Bed Time

Post by samsvan Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Alright boys and girls, this is my world so pay attention! I had some leftover plywood from my garage cabinets so I got started on my back platform/bed project. I've had a basic plan in my head for some time now. I bought the Astro Van back seat I have because of the way it folds down flat. I knew I wanted to be able to have a platform behind the seat with storage underneath that would flush up with the top of the seat with the back down. I have to get some more materials tomorrow but here's what it looks like so far.  
        It's Bed Time Img_1322
    It's Bed Time Img_1324
    It's Bed Time Img_1325
    It's Bed Time Img_1323

Last edited by samsvan on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14777
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

It's Bed Time Empty Re: It's Bed Time

Post by vanny Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:14 pm

So what you’re saying is that with the seat folded down and flush, you will have a much longer sleeping surface? I like that plan...

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:47 pm

I have a similar plan for mine. it will be 2 pieces, stacked for storage behind the seat and extending over the folded seat when used.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:47 pm

I didn't get a whole lot done today. I did a Home Depot run for the rest of the materials and did some fine tuning on what I did yesterday. Vanny, you are correct - my platform will extend over the seat when I'm done. I bought some heavy duty, big ol' drawer slides online so I'll have easy access to whatever's under the bed too. Here's a couple of pic's.It's Bed Time Img_1326
    It's Bed Time Img_1327
    I'm trying to make the whole thing easily removable just in case??? The drawer slides are the tricky part because they can be kind of finicky. Most slides are made so the drawer can be removed but these slides don't have that option. I have a plan though. Things should start taking shape this week.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Looks very spacious for storage. Nice build!
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks Jacke,
    I edited my opening sentence to say boys and girls... Oops!!
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:07 pm

I got a little more done this week and today. Here's some of the things I got done...
    The brackets are from a roof rack I had. They're to keep the platform from lifting up when the drawer is pulled all the way out. To make the drawer removable, I riveted some 1x2 angle to the drawer side of my slides.
    It's Bed Time Img_1328
    It's Bed Time Img_1329
    It's Bed Time Img_1331
    It's Bed Time Img_1330
    Now I just put the drawer on those angles and fasten it from the holes in the bottom with a couple of screws.
    It's Bed Time Img_1332
    It's Bed Time Img_1333
    And finally the weight test. The slides are supposed to hold up to 500 pounds but I figured I'd start with my daughter. She weighs about 60.
    I still have to figure out how I'm going to support the front part of the platform. It's about 38" x 52" so I want to cut it in two to make it easier to store when I want the seat up.
    It's Bed Time Img_1334
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Looks nice an solid...Good work, Sam! cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:28 pm

a lot of great work happening there with cool ideas.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks Dadio! I got off work a little early today so I did a little more detailing. I put cabinet hinges on the side storage box lids. I added a piano hinge between the two platform panels and added a brace underneath. They didn't have any T shaped aluminum at Home Depot so I riveted two pieces of angle together and notched the wood frame to accept it. I also added a flat piece of aluminum to the front of the front panel that keeps the whole platform in place. I routered a slot in the top of the frame that the aluminum drops into. I hope all that makes sense but here's some pic's anyway...It's Bed Time Img_1336
    It's Bed Time Img_1339
    It's Bed Time Img_1338
    It's Bed Time Img_1337
    It's Bed Time Img_1335
    I think I have the front platform extension figured out so I should be able to get it knocked out tomorrow.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Success! I finished up the front platform extension today. I hinged it to make it easier to handle so then I had to add another leg to the middle. I used furniture legs and brackets that screw together so it stores easily. I also did the same aluminum strip on the back as I did on the other platform to keep it in place. Both platforms share the channel I routed out in the bulkhead.It's Bed Time Img_1344
    It's Bed Time Img_1342
    It's Bed Time Img_1343
    Of course this doesn't mean I'm done... I'll be taking it all to the upholstery shop on Monday.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Well thought out, Sam! Can't wait to see it upholstered. You're doing a real nice job with that van! Thanks for sending the updates. Look forward to seeing your progress. cheers

samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Vanny, I'm sending you a "e-hug". You always have something positive to say and show such a great appreciation for other peoples work.
    As far as the interior project, I figure I can start hauling hooch if the construction market tanks again! Laughing
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Funny you say that about hooch haulin...my uncle was working construction in North Carolina in the early 80's and told me about a 66 Chevy van he saw down there for sale that had a container of oil above the exhaust pipe that had a release button on the dashboard that would spray oil on the exhaust if being pursued while running moonshine to create a cloud of smoke...hee, hee hee!!!

kaz
    kaz

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Post by kaz Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 pm

OMG,THAT IS SO WELL PUT TOGETHER WOW ,THE TALENT SKILLS YOU HAVE, AND THX, FOR SHARING YOUR ARTISTIC SKILL,S WITH US ,CAN'T WAIT TO C IT DONE.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Thank you Kaz. My upholstery guy measured and ordered everything and then sent me home do do a few finishing touches. I wanted him to see it so he could tell me if my gaps were right for him. They were so all I had to do was round over all the sharp corners. Carpet should be in by the end of the week.
    I was hoping that anyone with a window van could give me some drapery ideas. I asked my daughter to tie dye me some material for fathers day but I need some ideas on rods or hooks or whatever.
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 am

When I had my VW van I used rods for curtains, awkward to use and rods got bent. I changed it up with snaps screwed to the walls and attached to the curtains. Those worked well, easy to put on and take off and easy to store. I found black snaps at a local upholstery supply which blended with the background I had and with them attached top and bottom they sealed up tight. I could also undo the top snaps and let them hang from the bottom so I could see out of the windows while driving. I plan on doing the same with my Sportvan sometime. (It's on the "to do" list)
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Post by AZ SuperVan Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:00 am

Just an idea. What if you put a false bottom in the drawer. Then you could put a shallow drawer under the false bottom that was fitted for the extension pieces. That way you access them without having to unload everything on top of them. Just thinking out loud...
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:05 pm

That's two great ideas. Thanks guys. I think using snaps is probably the easiest way to make the drapes work. I don't know why I didn't think of that! I can even use the original mounting holes for the trim pieces to screw the snaps on through. I'm going to run a curtain across behind the front seats too. I'm going to try to make a rod that follows the curve of the roof and hooks in above the trim panels.
    I had a similar thought for storing the extension panels. I looked at just installing the drawer slides high enough to store the panels under it but I needed all the depth available for some of my tools. I figured I only need the extension for camping so otherwise I can leave it at home.
    I appreciate the input - Thanks again.
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:28 am

Check a RV supply for a channel with hooks for your curtain behind the seat.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Post by Admin Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:08 pm

WOW! I love it! Very Happy
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:00 am

That looks awesome, great work
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:09 am

https://www.curtain-tracks.com/recmar-3292-8-aluminum-curtain-track-8-ft.html
    Here's a curtain track I might try. You think I can bend it enough to fit the ceiling?
    Thanks Chebby and Jay. I took all the parts to my upholstery guy Friday. I'm going to try to get him to get it done by next weekend because it's our anniversary. I thought I'd drag the wife in there to celebrate. Yeah, she's a lucky lady!
    retrogeek
    retrogeek

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2018-05-08

Post by retrogeek Thu May 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Impressive work.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Fri May 11, 2018 6:40 am

samsvan wrote:https://www.curtain-tracks.com/recmar-3292-8-aluminum-curtain-track-8-ft.html
    Here's a curtain track I might try. You think I can bend it enough to fit the ceiling?
    Thanks Chebby and Jay. I took all the parts to my upholstery guy Friday. I'm going to try to get him to get it done by next weekend because it's our anniversary. I thought I'd drag the wife in there to celebrate. Yeah, she's a lucky lady!

I used the track system in Goldie... works great. The aluminum is a nice touch. Mine are just a plastic track from the RV store. Very beautiful work. I am so happy you are getting the upholsterer involved! Wow maybe $cheers 37,000 is a good starting price  bounce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:42 am