VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

A/C help anyone?

WhiteDove63

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

A/C help anyone? Empty A/C help anyone?

Post by WhiteDove63 Wed May 11, 2011 4:28 pm

In the throws of some pretty major work on my van and considering putting A/C in, but don't want to break the bank...has anyone used a system from another vehicle? I have a 302 in mine and have completely done away with the heater box assembly. Just trying to see if anyone's used parts from other vehicles and if they did an under dash vent or in dash...if anyone has any thoughts shoot em my way. Thanks
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

A/C help anyone? Empty Re: A/C help anyone?

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed May 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Yes= Ive done several over the years - what you need is to find an older underdash unit- some were factory/dealer installed in the 60-70era - also I believe some still available today?? Also consider a rear a/c unit from a van - any type - as it will add better cooling than just a underdash unit. I usually use a condenser from a import- and a universal drier. The compressors from the imports are great also and Gm stuff- also - just due to the R-32 stuff u need to charge with. watch ebay for the used underdash stuff and search the older salvage yards for same . I am doing same now to the van in the foto.
    WhiteDove63

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by WhiteDove63 Wed May 11, 2011 6:25 pm

When you say rear a/c unit, you are referring to the external kind like the ones that fit the roof, right?
    damma57
    damma57

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2010-05-12

A/C help anyone? Empty A/c time

Post by damma57 Sun May 15, 2011 7:06 am

Starting doing mine as i write this. I'm going with vintage air magna lv . they many to choose from. I just install a LS1 in my 66 . should be fun.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun May 15, 2011 7:30 am

yes or even below the rear seat area in a bed/ seat area. Im going to look at a vintage underdash unit this week for the rear area - would like to find a rear A/C from a late van??
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Sun May 15, 2011 7:38 am

WhiteDove63 wrote:When you say rear a/c unit, you are referring to the external kind like the ones that fit the roof, right?
    If you are looking into a pre-tested (salvage yard Smile) rear A/C unit, look at one from a Chevy Astos/GMC Safari. The rear air is located on the left just inside the rear door.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun May 15, 2011 7:48 am

Great Thanx i will-- ive got a 84 chev van im getting the rear air out of & many other parts - its one of those custom vans - eng & trannys just worn out= lots of good parts on it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:25 pm