VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Suspension question, is this normal?

Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Suspension question, is this normal? Empty Suspension question, is this normal?

Post by Keith D Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:44 pm

All,

I am not sure if this is normal since I have never worked on a A108 or straight axle vehicle before.

I jacked up the van by it's front axle and rebuilt the sway bar end links with urethane components, new draglink, etc. I used urethane shock bushings also, when I went to put on the top shock mounts in the top van's groove they were off to one side by about two inches. I was able to pry them into the top mount but when I did they were at such an angle that the shocks would not move. Obviously this was a big concern to me.

I put the tires on, took off the jack stands from the axle and bounced up and down on each side of the van. The shocks seem to be working fine as is everything else.

Is it normal for the shocks to be at an angle and to bind up if you jack the van up by the front axle?

Thanks for any information...Keith

Suspension question, is this normal? Shock11

Suspension question, is this normal? Shock112

Suspension question, is this normal? Shock211
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Suspension question, is this normal? Empty Re: Suspension question, is this normal?

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:03 pm

,,,if the axle moved,,,,,it could be worn out leaf spring bushings,,,,,

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:26 pm