VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

A question about front suspension for '65 Chevy van

A question about front suspension for '65 Chevy van Empty A question about front suspension for '65 Chevy van

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:35 am

Hey, I need to know if the front suspension from any G-van in years 1964 to 66 will work for a '65 van? I've been told that a front suspension from 1967-70 won't work on '65 because of some difference under there, right?

I had an email sent to me telling me that his friend - a farmer wanting to sell off a batch of old cars off his field. Among these are 2 Chevy vans - mainly good only as parts - a '64 and a '65, one is a GMC. He said I could get the whole front suspension for $100. I have to decide if I should or not buy?? Might be good to stow it for a possible future project... I do know of one '65 van in a yard all alone by itself Razz

A question about front suspension for '65 Chevy van Empty Re: A question about front suspension for '65 Chevy van

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:42 am

The front axle and springs are basically the same from 64-66. I know that 67 was a bastard year with parts from 1st and 2nd gen vans but dont know if the axle is the same as 68-70. The axle on the later models are set up for wider springs and the shock mount is different too, I believe.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

A question about front suspension for '65 Chevy van Empty Re: A question about front suspension for '65 Chevy van

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:29 am

Thats right about the springs being different sizes on the 64-66 and 67-70,,,,,the u bolt holes in the axle are narrower on the 64-66. And the steering knuckle and drag links are not interchangeable on them. But you could make a 2nd Gen axle fit a 1st Gen but not the other way around,,,,,,the most valuable parts are the spindles,,, all the same,,,,,all hard to get when the wheel bearings give up and chew them up,,,,,
    hywaychild
    hywaychild

Number of posts : 389
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Post by hywaychild Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:17 pm

if you can find cheap parts vans and you have a place to keep them without getting hasled by the law or anybody on that hand buy them you will never lose money on them they will come in handy when you need parts and part them out and help others in need ,hywaychild

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:35 am

Thanks for the info - so it's confirmed that it will work using this suspension. I've send email about holding it for me at their place for awhile until i arrange a road trip with my van to pick it up. I have asked them if it would be left attached on the old parts van for me to remove it off. I might even get the chance to grab few other goodies.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Today got a reply from the farmer's friend who helped him with the sale of old cars. He said the farmer will hold the front suspension at his place with no problem - as long I send him the money and get the recipient from him. Said I need to let him know one week advance before I take off for my road trip.

Didn't say what he'd do with the Chevy parts vans, so I'll ask him about the other stuff the van might have there...

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:10 pm

Forget to mention that the fellow had send me couple of photos. Here is one showing the old Chevy van. Enjoy the viewing!

A question about front suspension for '65 Chevy van Van6
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:10 pm

That poor old girl has seen better days Sad still looks like maybe a few might be there

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:25 pm

Got 20 pictures of both old Chevy vans from the guy today. I'll upload to my photobucket and post them in a new thread. I know some of you would love to see old vans all in their nature in the forest. Through, a bit sad - yes, but at the same time, kind of neat in their own way.

G-van pictures

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:04 am