VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Help me change 6cyl to V8

SportVan
    SportVan

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-06-13

Help me change 6cyl to V8 Empty Help me change 6cyl to V8

Post by SportVan Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 pm

Just got a 65 Sportvan and want to change out 6 cylinder for a V8. It is currently a 3 on the tree with unknown engine/with hard to read casting numbers on block & transmission. Only thing I know for sure it's an 8.2 10 bolt with no readable identifying numbers.

Anyone else have a V8 they can tutor me on the necessities to do so like 1) what engine did you use 2) what transmission 3) what rear end 4) what radiator was used 5) did you have to change motor mounts and driveshafts. I hate being clueless, but interested in upgrading. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Help me change 6cyl to V8 Empty Re: Help me change 6cyl to V8

Post by kookykrispy Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 am

Find yourself a 2nd gen donor van with a factory v8. To do it right, it is alot of work and you will need quite a few key parts from a 2nd gen, but its worth it. When I do v8 swaps into 1st gens, I graft in the doghouse and floor tunnel from a v8 2nd gen. Also use the 2nd gen v8 radiator, lower radiator support, surge tank, top radiator hose, e-brake pulley bracket, fan shroud, exhaust manifolds and alternator bracket.

Have a look at my van Hella Sunshine for sale on ebay right now (link is below in my signature), and you can see my install and see what I did with the doghouse.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Okay, you convinced me I will keep what I have; that it's too much work and effort, more work and expense than I thought!!! I have seen your Van. It is awesome!
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:44 am

I did mine, 6 cyl to v-8. the engine mounts are the same. I did put in a doghouse from a 2nd gen and had to cut the floor hole wider, added a filler panel at the back.
    I'm using the stock 3 speed trans with column shifter. the most different parts were the throttle linkage and exhaust. Some people here use a cable for the throttle. I am also using a new downflow radiator.

You can see my build here, https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t52103p25-russell-s-66-sportvan-deluxe

Help me change 6cyl to V8 6_remo10
    Help me change 6cyl to V8 28310
    Help me change 6cyl to V8 P1010011
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:11 am

That's bad ass Bro! Looks nice

Sponsored content