VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
donivan65
DanTheVanMan
Eagle1
Oldsmobubble
8 posters

Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl.

Oldsmobubble
    Oldsmobubble

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2011-02-18

Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. Empty Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl.

Post by Oldsmobubble Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:58 am

Emerqency brake handle is rusted closed. I pulled on all of the cables, they are all operational. Does someone have one of these?

Radiator is leakinq pin holes in the upper tank (one pissinq on your leq when you open the enqin cover. Are new rads available?

Rear door (operable side) handles are broken off. I need a door openinq mechanism with handles.

Front door hinqe pins need replaced. Is there a "Help" kit for these? Or how to rebuild them.

Wirinq harness is a mess. rotted wires, spliced wires, extra wires. Anyone have clean wire harness or is anyone makinq new ones?

Steerinq column upper bearinq is shot. Any way to replace the bearinq without removinq the column and inner shaft?

What fluid does the 3 speed take? 90 weiqht?

What are the chances that the rear is posi? with a 6cyl. Both tires spun out in my qravel driveway.

thanks

Eagle1
    Eagle1

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2010-09-18

Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. Empty Re: Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl.

Post by Eagle1 Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:34 am

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. Empty Re: Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl.

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:43 am

Dean,
    Might be worth your while to take "Road Trip" up here to Fernandina Beach to see me. I believe I have most of what you need....

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:57 am

As far the POSI goes you really need to pull your cover and take a look. These will help you figure out what you have...

Dan

NON-POSI:
    Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. 3610

LIMITED-SLIP:
    Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. 3710

FULL-POSI:
    Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. 3810

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:18 am

The steering shaft does not come off of the steering box,,,,,,the column slides down over it,,,,,the bearing is under the steering wheel,,,,,it might come with a new turn signal switch,,,,,

Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. 4wayts10
    Oldsmobubble
    Oldsmobubble

Post by Oldsmobubble Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:36 am

DanTheVanMan wrote:Dean,
    Might be worth your while to take "Road Trip" up here to Fernandina Beach to see me. I believe I have most of what you need....

Dan

That's possible. I will be drivinq riqht by there on my way to NC in late March. sent you a pm.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:03 pm

the steering column bearing is available through brothers truck
    lmc and classic parts, use 66 chevy truck, same part.
    the trans does take 90 weight gear lube. I also have an e-brake
    handle set up.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:34 pm

You may not need a steering colum upper bearing.

The outer steering colum tube may have slid down where it is clamped at the bottom. That will make the bearing seem loose. Also the turn signal cancle cam may be wrong or broken, or the spring gone. The colum has to be assebled correctly for the bearing to seat right.
    Or the bearing in the steering box is done, you will know that if you can lift the steering wheel strait up and down on its shaft.

Don, have you got those pictures of the steering colum exploded veiw?

I will ckeck to see if I have a park brake handle for you.

M1D
    Man I need a spell check option
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Thats right,,,,,,check the adjustments,,,,,,the steering worm gear in the steering box needs to be adjusted right,,,,,,this keeps the steering wheel from moving up and down. The bearing is in the column,,,,,so the column needs to keep the bearing up against the steering wheel and it is adjusted by a clamp under that rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column

Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. Pgleve12

Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. Pgleve13
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:32 pm

After you remove the steering wheel, you should see a spring, (click on the picture to make it bigger),,,,that spring sits on a conical washer which fits into the bearing,,,,,,the plan is to install the steering wheel then if the bearing seems loose or there is too much of a gap under the steering wheel, you go down, remove the rubber boot and loosen the clamp on the column,,,,you pull up on the column to squash the spring, which tightens everything up under the steering column.

Workinq on several issues with my new '69 6cyl. Repair98
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Just in case nobody else has answered this point, you can use 80w90 hypoid gear oil in that tranny. Or 85w90. I think the only thing on shelves these days is GL5, which is fine as well. Same stuff goes in the std differential.

For the tranny it doesn't have to be hypoid, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I'd try squirting some PB Blast into that emergency brake mechanism before looking for a replacement.

Oldsmobubble
    Oldsmobubble

Post by Oldsmobubble Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 am

Thanks everyone for postinq all of that qreat pics and advise. Veefre, my '69 panel's oriqinal color is the same (looks the same) as yours. Did you use the oriqinal color on a repaint? or is that the oriqinal paint?
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Oldsmobubble wrote:Thanks everyone for postinq all of that qreat pics and advise. Veefre, my '69 panel's oriqinal color is the same (looks the same) as yours. Did you use the oriqinal color on a repaint? or is that the oriqinal paint?

It's a repaint, although I don't know exactly when it was repainted. It was this color when I bought it in 2008, and I understand it's been this color for at least 10 years. From the traces I can see in various places, the original color was a darker metallic green. I prefer the turquoise, though.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:24 am

Posi-verification= all you need to do is jack up left side (1 Wheel off ground) and the other wheel on the ground and start it up & try & drive it away- I perfer doing the left wheel off ground myself. if its a posi- it will drive away- if not it will stay there.
    Oldsmobubble
    Oldsmobubble

Post by Oldsmobubble Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:37 am

panelmanrd wrote:the steering column bearing is available through brothers truck
    lmc and classic parts, use 66 chevy truck, same part.
    the trans does take 90 weight gear lube. I also have an e-brake
    handle set up.

I sent you a PM about the E brake handle.

thanks,

Dean

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:56 pm