VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Vacuum Issues?

ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Vacuum Issues? Empty Vacuum Issues?

Post by ScottyJones Tue May 29, 2012 7:58 pm

My Vans been running great until recently it felt like it would bogg down under any load; off the line or up hill. Once it's up to speed, it's fine...
    I checked and noticed that there was a vacuum stem on the carb that had nothing connected to it.
    Vacuum Issues? Photo_13

I tried capping this stem, redid timing and now it kind of sputters under load and does not pull at all going uphill with some small poppy backfires. Again, once the vaccum advance kicks on it picks up speed and once up to speed it's ok. What should be plugged into this, or should it just be capped off? Does this sound more like a timing issue? Or maybe a carb issue?

All my vacuum lines are going to the right places as far as I know. PCV directly to manifold, transmission to lower inlet below carb, and distributor right above that which is ported.
    Vacuum Issues? Photo_14

Thanks guys!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Vacuum Issues? Empty Re: Vacuum Issues?

Post by donivan65 Wed May 30, 2012 12:23 am

Well, thats probably not the right carburetor for your van,,,,,that port should be plugged,,,,so what changed? Can you see gas spraying down inside the bore from the accelerator pump when you press the gas pedal?
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Wed May 30, 2012 8:24 am

That thing could have been plugged before? Because it was running smooth until that thing became apparent. There was a hissing noise and that thing was just sucking air, so I plugged it.

I will check the fuel flow inside the carb. Should I be checking it with the car running? Should I be getting a spray or a stream of gas?

Thanks, Don!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 30, 2012 3:10 pm

So start with checking the accelerator pump,,,,,its that nozzle sticking out and should spray gas out each time you step on the gas,,,try it with the engine off,,,,it could always back fire and burn your face if you try it with the engine running, so have your buddy look down there while you work the gas pedal,,,,,and then make sure the vacuum advance has NO vacuum at idle and about 17" at high RPM,,,,,,AND the timing actually advances when you step on the gas,,,,,,

Vacuum Issues? Repai271
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:23 pm

Took me awhile to get around to checking all this. With the motor off, it looks like there's a healthy stream of gas coming out of the accelerator pump...running it kind of dribbles (don't know if this is normal, just because of the vibration of the motor or what?)
    Could I have a clogged fuel filter/line, or something up with the fuel pump?

Im also gonna check that vacuum advance that we put in there when we put the new dist. in.

I will keep exploring, but in the meantime, any suggestions on what to check for?

Thanks!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:18 pm

One test would be to put a clear fuel filter right before the carburetor so you can see if it gets filled and stays filled while you are driving and it starts acting up,,,,,,this way you would know if your fuel pump is working, fuel filters and fuel strainer in the gas tank are not clogged,,,,also take the fuel filter out of the carb 1st and see if things get better ,,,,,,,,,the quick test of that vacuum advance would be to hook it to a port with full vacuum on it at idle,,,,,engine should speed up by itself if is still working,,,,,,I am starting to have doubts about those Skippy White distributors,,,,,peoples are having all kinds of problems with them,,,,,,,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:41 pm

Sounds like you are barking up the wrong tree.
    It started running poorly, and you find a vacuum leak.
    A leak that small will not cause the big symptoms described. Maybe a bit of hesitation off-idle, but that's it.
    Do you still have point ignition? When was the last time you serviced it?
    These old motors require regular maintenance that many people aren't used to with modern vehicles.
    Go back to the basics and check the dwell, timing and carb adjustment. If the dwell is off much, replace the points and condenser. Pull the plugs and check them. I tend to change them, but if they aren't worn or fouled, you can stick them back in.
    Check the cap, rotor and see if you get a healthy spark.
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:36 pm

I have a new electronic ignition installed on the van, and it ran fine up until now.
    Pulled out the fuel filter, which on this carb is a screen retained with a spring. It was actually pretty dirty, so I cleaned it out real good and reinstalled. This didnt change anything.

I will check my plugs next and see what condition they're in. Now Im almost thinking it feels like a timing issue, although Ive checked the timing multiple times and it seems OK (unless Im doing something wrong). Had sort of similar feel when my timing was off once before.

To recap the problem, it hesitates like the first half of first gear if Im giving it some gas. Top end feels like it's lacking power too..not pulling like it used to.

Is there a more serious problem that could cause these symptoms? Its running at a nice temp, idles smooth, and cruises smooth once its moving.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:10 pm

fuel starvation?? yet limited ?
    fuel pump ? smell the motor oil -fuel??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:37 am

1st of all, you bought that red hot rod HEI and the adjustable vacuum advance unit on it would not adjust and go to full maximum advance so your van would not run,,,,,I took the one off my spare HEI that I carry with me and it took care of the problem,,,,Mauro bought the same distributor and had the same problem and I gave him another vacuum advance unit until Skippy sends him another replacement brand new shiny red HEI distributor,,,I don't trust those aftermarket HEI distributors,,,,,so either you have a fuel problem or spark problem,,,,,I could bring you a 1st edition genuine GM HEI distributor and you can try it and see if that takes care of your problem,,,,,as for timing,,,,the notch on the pulley can move, so you can't time the engine correctly anymore,,,, FOR A TEST, try and advance the timing 4 more degrees and see if the van runs normal again or put a vacuum gauge on the engine and set the timing so you get the highest reading on the vacuum gauge,,,,FOR A TEST,,,put that clear fuel filter between the carburetor and fuel pump,,,,,see if gas level inside it drops down to see if enough gas is getting there from the tank,,,,,,FOR A TEST, pull the choke out a little,,,,,see if that gives you more power,,,,,
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:38 am

Don, I owe you a vacuum advance! Thank you for the loaner.

I will try the fuel filter and check the timing again. If I cant get any results, I will take you up on that GM Distributer offer.

Thanks for your help Very Happy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 am

Check that vacuum advance also,,,,,take the hose off the carburetor and move it to the other port that has vacuum on it all the time,,,,,at idle, you should have the distributor advance hooked up to a port that has NO VACUUM on it AND you need to check the timing with that hose DISCONNECTED anyways,,,,,but FOR A TEST,,,,plug that hose onto another port with vacuum on it at idle,,,if the vacuum advance is working, the engine will speed up,,,,,so just go and see if you can find some clues of something suspicious going on,,,,,,the accelerator pump in the carburetor could be going bad also,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:10 pm

How about put the points distributor and coil back in there and see if the van runs better,,,,,,then that will help isolate the problem,,,,
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:41 pm

So, while crawling around under the van, I noticed that the vacuum line that connects to the transmission had been pulled off and was really loose when connected. Got that all clamped down good. Also noticed that two of my exhaust manifold bolts were loose, so I tightened those down as well.
    It actually seems as though it may have fixed the problem! However, I did install a clear inline fuel filter. Right after i installed it and fired it up, fuel rushed in there and it stayed full at idle. Just took it for a drive and now its not full and look like there's only a trickle coming through. Van still seems to idle fine though.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Idle is not the problem,,,,,its the high speed circuit you need to check if you feel like you are losing power,,,,,,put that mighty POWERGLIDE into low and give it all its got,,,,,see how fast it will go in Low,,,,,fly by those VW's,,,,, see how the engine runs,,,,,,you will probably be burning 6 mpg and the fuel system will putting out all it can,,,,,so if it passes that test, your fuel system is probably OK,,,,,,you might have just been feeling the early shifting of the trans from low to high because the hose on that vacuum modulator came off,,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Scotty - get a ton of fire insurance coverage on that nice van you had-weve all been over & over those clear plastic fuel filters-#1 Fire Hazzard!! affraid
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:33 pm

I will probably just get rid of it once I'm done testing the fuel system. Thanks for the heads up!
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:24 pm

Still feel like Im having some issues with my van. It feels sluggish when trying to get up to freeway speeds, especially if there is any kind of hill. Or if Im cruising on flat ground and start heading up a hill, it just kills my power. I could be flooring it and it takes a really long time for it to get back up to speed.

Maybe it's just the limitations of the 2-speed powerglide, but I swear I had more power before. It used to pull up hills pretty well.

The only things that are the same since the motor swap are the HEI distributer and the transmission. Timing is set and dist is getting advance when it's supposed to...Could it be something with the tranny?

What do you guys think? Am I just crazy?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Why don't you put the points distributor back in and see if it gets better,,,,then you will have a better idea on which way to go,,,,,,,,and what is the vacuum reading on that engine at idle anyways??? And is the vacuum modulator working and the kick down linkage adjusted correctly?
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I don't have a vacuum gauge to test that...How can I test the modulator and check for proper kickdown adjustment?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm

,,,,,so you want to get technical,,,,,1st put a brick on top of the gas pedal,,,,,you need to check if it is REALLY opening up the throttle plate all the way,,,,,,take the linkage off the carb and see if the carb is actually all the way open with the gas pedal all the way down,,,,once you check that,,,,you can check the kick down adjustment,,,the gas pedal needs to be all the way down also,,,,,unhook the rod at the trans and see if you can turn the lever more counterclockwise,,,,when the gas pedal is down that lever has to be bottomed out,,,,so check those adjustments,,,,you need a vacuum pump to see if the modulator holds vacuum,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 12:27 pm