VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Tuning using a vacuum gauge + O/T

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Tuning using a vacuum gauge + O/T Empty Tuning using a vacuum gauge + O/T

Post by itruns Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:03 pm

It came from the internet, so it has to be true!

http://automotivemileposts.com/garage/v2n8.html

Going to try it this weekend on my buddy's houseboat with a '73 318 and a DANA outdrive. If we don't kill his beast, I'll try it on my van.

Has anyone heard of a "cut-out relay" for the alternator? I'd like to remove it, but I can't figure out what it's purpose is. See pages 34 and 36
    http://www.correctcraftfan.com/Downloads/Chrysler%20Marine%20Engine%20Manual.pdf

I also told him to just go with... wait for it... a... one... wire... alternator Shocked
    and kill the... ampmeter Sad

$160 bucks and he'll have a no-spark marine alternator putting out 94 amps.
    http://www.motorcityreman.com/choe353537.html

And we thought we had cooling problems:
    Tuning using a vacuum gauge + O/T Pictur14
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12230
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Tuning using a vacuum gauge + O/T Empty Re: Tuning using a vacuum gauge + O/T

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:19 pm

That cut out relay is doing 3 things,,,,,,,it sends the full alternator output to the ammeter,,,,,,,,it moves the sensing line line of the voltage regulator from the ignition switch to the alternator output,,,,,,,,it disconnects the battery from the alternator when the key is off,,,,,,,,,,,
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 753
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:48 pm

Take a look at the Powermaster one-wire alternators available at Summit Racing.
    Wink They look like the original ones also.

Last edited by kiwimopar on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:43 am

HeHe = memories- Yes thats a Marine cooling system. As , an Old boat mechanic- thats one ingrained in my memory- whats the buddy having trouble with?? PM please - Dana unit=?? thats a old drive sysyem- remember- all the Inboards & IO's have 2 water pumps@=The one on front of engine is only a circulating pump. Will be an actual "Water Pump" elsewhere .
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:30 am

On the vacuum tuning...
    Steps 4, 5 and 6 are wrong for a SBM. Advance is CCW, retard is CW.
    I usually prefer 2 inches of vacuum. I've found that 1 inch always causes pinging, so you have to readjust anyway.
    Step 7 is also backwards. Only the Holley Economaster is out=lean, in=rich.
    Almost every other carb out there is out=richer, in=leaner. You also want the idle speed screw set to the normal idle speed, not real low as they suggest from Step 3. When adjusting the mixture, if the idle goes up a lot, reset it and readjust the mixture screws.
    Step 8. When turning in the screws to the seated position, be careful! They should just touch, not get torqued down! The description of adjusting is good, I tell people that too lean (in) shakes, too rich (out) rolls. Some see it right away, others don't. The vacuum gauge shows it better though.

Step 9. As I said, keep the idle speed within spec while adjusting mixture. Don't adjust the carb mixture then change the speed. Mix is always the last adjustment!
    Also, if your setup uses manifold vacuum at the dist. connect it up for final adjustment. SBM doesn't, some chevys do.

Test drive the car and if you hear ANY pinging, back it off some!!!
    Also after the drive, shut it off and try to restart. If it kicks back against the starter, or cranks slowly, try retarding the timing a little.
    On a manual trans, you are done. On an automatic, you may want to fine tune the mixture with the vehicle in gear to get it the smoothest possible. BE CAREFUL with a running car in gear!!!

After you have done this a while, you will develop a feel and you will find that even an oil change will affect mixture if you have a PCV. I've had plenty of cars that were slightly rougher after an oil change smooth back out after adjustment. The old storys of the car running better with fresh oil is due to this also. The car would get a tune up and oil change and be adjusted for the fresh oil. After a few months, the oil would get dirty and have some fuel in it, causing the fumes to richen the mixture. Changing the oil would lean it back out to the optimum mixture that the carb was adjusted.

itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Ok, now I'm dumbfounded!

Mounted the new marine one wire alternator on my friend's old houseboat. By-passed the alternator cut-out relay. Ran a ground wire to the new alternator. Connected the output wire. Disconnected the ignition lead to the old VR. The fan belt has to be changed to a smaller one due to the different housing, but the alternator does spin. SOB doesn't charge regardless of 800 or 4000 rpms.

I left the ammeter connected until he gets a voltmeter set up. Showed a constant drain, more so with the running lights and bilge blower on. My multi-meter showed around 12.5 volts with the engine running on a fully charged battery.

Any suggestions before we pull it off to have it tested?

Also, will that new alternator pull a trickle drain on the battery?
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:43 am

Live and learn. Correct size fan belt did the trick.

Next up is a new thermostat and a tune-up. Shopping Amazon for vacuum gauges.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:53 am

RoD is Exactly correct- Follow his leads-Good Job Rod!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:47 pm