VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Seth G
The Blue Box
6 posters

Which engine to swap in?

Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Which engine to swap in?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Which engine to swap in?

Post by Seth G Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 pm

What's the problem? Is the bell to big? Are you sure the engine you took out was a 170? They all have the 8.5" clutch falcon six bell pattern and every 200 should have the same pattern and most will have a larger 9" clutch falcon bell pattern as well. Pictures would be good. I have a small six econoline bell for the 3.03 toploader out of my 64.

Any 65 HD should have come with a 240 afaik. The 240/300's have the sbf pattern bell. Maybe the engine you pulled was a 250? It has the sbf pattern as well. Maybe they used a 170 crossmember or made the 240 crossmember work. If you have the 240 crossmember and a SBF bellhousing on your tranny, you should just find carb era 300 to drop in there and sell the 200 you picked up.
    Hillbilly
    Hillbilly

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2017-02-18

Which engine to swap in?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Which engine to swap in?

Post by Hillbilly Sun May 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Seth, your bad ass dood. I figured it out. I tried to use the fly wheel and the housing from the 200 on the top loader. The hole on the housing is to small to fit around the tranny. I need to use the fly wheel and housing off my old motor which means I also bought the wrong clutch and spent 2 hours scrubbing the wrong housing clean. I also had to pull the alignment studs out of the 200 and lower them to the holes closer to the fly wheel. I'm on the right path now, I just hope I can exchange the clutch for the right one. My old flywheel is way more rusty than the one that came with the 200 so I'm hoping I can save it also. I feel good about the progress I made today on it even though I didn't get a damn thing done. Thanks again for the reply, I was hoping to hear from ya👍👊

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:12 pm