VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

6 to 8 engine swap

6 to 8 engine swap Empty 6 to 8 engine swap

Post by Guest Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:15 pm

how hard would it be to install a v-8 in a 1962 falcon station bus it has the original 170 and the van is near perfect so i dont want to chop anything up also can a 170 be built better
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

6 to 8 engine swap Empty Re: 6 to 8 engine swap

Post by sasktrini Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:29 pm

You would at least have to upgrade the engine mounts... 65 started using a full crossmember where pre 65 used two seperate arms. Doghouse width may be an issue as well if you go bigger than a 302.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:37 pm

62 vanman wrote:how hard would it be to install a v-8 in a 1962 falcon station bus it has the original 170 and the van is near perfect so i dont want to chop anything up also can a 170 be built better
    Yes you can build your 170. Go to cliffordperformance.com, they have everything you need to make that 170 run strong. Way easier and cheaper than swapping a V8.

6 to 8 engine swap Empty mounts

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:24 pm

do you have to build the mount arms strongert doesnt seem to be much to hold a v 8 or do you install a cross member from a later e van thanks
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:06 pm

62 vanman wrote:do you have to build the mount arms strongert doesnt seem to be much to hold a v 8 or do you install a cross member from a later e van thanks

I'm not certain if it's a direct swap to use a later crossmember... but yeah, I'd be scared to put a V8 in my 62 without one!
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:20 pm

You can get just as much HP out of the 170 for less money and headache by going to clifford and your local machine shop.

6 to 8 engine swap Empty help

Post by Guest Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:14 pm

I only paid 75.00 for the van and its perfect i have rebuilt any and everything and have not touches the internal engine because the guy who owned it just had the engine rebuiltt it runs great kinda surprising how it does run but still want to hop it up some , I really have no idea where to start I can rebuild toyotas v-8 anything but have not done a inline and since this is all original i dont want to mess it up is there anyone who does this and about how much might i be looking at i would like to change the head so i can run a different carb, header,etc , can you ad such things without boring the block ,can you change solid lifters to hyd, thank you all for the help and i can get alot of e parts if anyone needs something let me know and we can arrange it
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:19 pm

These guys have a lot of info to read up on.

http://www.fordsix.com/
    Slowride

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

Post by Slowride Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:53 pm

I was more inclined to swap in a 200 or build the 170 than going V8

Post by Guest Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:37 pm

62 vanman wrote:I only paid 75.00 for the van and its perfect i have rebuilt any and everything and have not touches the internal engine because the guy who owned it just had the engine rebuiltt it runs great kinda surprising how it does run but still want to hop it up some , I really have no idea where to start I can rebuild toyotas v-8 anything but have not done a inline and since this is all original i dont want to mess it up is there anyone who does this and about how much might i be looking at i would like to change the head so i can run a different carb, header,etc , can you ad such things without boring the block ,can you change solid lifters to hyd, thank you all for the help and i can get alot of e parts if anyone needs something let me know and we can arrange it
    You can get answers to all of your questions at http://www.cliffordperformance.net/ or got to http://www.classicinlines.com/default.asp . They have an aluminum head with separate aluminum intake manifold that can be had for a two or a four barrel carb. They have custom headers, and just about anything else you could want to build a 170 to over 240 HP, a 200 ci could get up to 300 HP and a 300 up to 400 HP with 450 pounds of torque.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:16 pm