VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

hood to air cleaner issues?

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

hood to air cleaner issues? Empty hood to air cleaner issues?

Post by rustytoolss Tue May 19, 2015 9:38 am

I've got an edelbrock performer intake and a edelbrock AVS thunder 4 barrel, on my 273. When you guys have changed intake and carb. Have you had problems with the hood to air cleaner clearance issues ?? I may need to remove or modify the under the hood X brace. I'm using a low profile GM air cleaner housing (81 Camaro 305..I think). So what fit for you ? I would rather NOT us an open element type housing.
    slant6charlie
    slant6charlie

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2016-01-31

hood to air cleaner issues? Empty Re: hood to air cleaner issues?

Post by slant6charlie Tue May 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Rustytoolss,

I didn't see any replies or comments about your 81 Camaro air cleaner. Did this setup work for you ? If so, do you have any pictures you could send. I am having the same issue with my hi-rise intake and 4-bbl carb on my marine 318. I did have to remove the hood brace for clearance, but, will try to relocate it at a later date. If you did the same, can you show me a pic of your re-location ?

Thanks!
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue May 16, 2017 6:32 pm

The air cleaner housing I used actually was for a 84 4brl 305 Camaro/ and others. I also removed one inner hood brace. Even with all that , it's a close fit. Yes it did fix my problem. I'll check to see if I have any pictures. I just left the one hood brace off.  Does not seem to be a problem. The housing uses a Fram CA327 air filter. You may be able to cross ref that filter to see what other vehicles "might " have a housing that "may" work for you.
    slant6charlie
    slant6charlie

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2016-01-31

Post by slant6charlie Wed May 17, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks for your helpful reply. I will be heading for the local wrecking yards this weekend !
    penguinvan
    penguinvan

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2017-03-16

Post by penguinvan Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Which Performer are you using? I just got my 318 back from the engine shop. Got the #2176 and stayed away from the Air Gap version for that very reason. Planning on using the #1406 Performer carb.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:48 pm

Yeah I have the 2176 intake. My carb is the edelbrock thunder AVS series 700cfm not sure of the carb series number.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:46 pm

I used the same manifold on my 360. I got a GM TB air filter assembly then built a 3.5" cold-air tube that gets air from behind the right wheel, nice and cool.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2013-12-16

Post by sweetvan Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:34 am

Is anyone using a spacer under the carb or isn't there room for a spacer? Are there carb boiling issues to consider? Did anyone plug the exhaust cross-over ports on top of the heads before installing an intake manifold? How's that working?
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:10 pm

If you are using an after market intake (4 barrel), most are somewhat taller than the stock mopar cast iron 2 barrel intake. I have not had a problem with fuel boil . But I insulated the fuel line from the pump to the carb. I do not have room for a spacer. I do not recall blocking the manifold heat passage.
    Some guy install a fan to suck/blow the hot engine box air , and force it out the bottom of the engine box.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:33 pm