VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
dix
BvrWally
Big W
Twinpilot001
rustytoolss
9 posters

Question under hood air temps ??

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Question  under hood air temps ?? Empty Question under hood air temps ??

Post by rustytoolss Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:14 pm

In my quest for information (dumb questions) Has anyone ever check what under hood air temps are ? Like when driven @ temp, then shut off (when hard restart may happen)
    I've been thinking of making an electric fan system that would turn on when the air temp would get to hot. It would be best if it would work when the key is off (I think) .
    Whats your thoughts ? What kind of under hood air temp do you think a fan should turn on? Dumb idea , maybe so. But when its to cold to work in the garage, this is what happens. Rolling Eyes 
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Question  under hood air temps ?? Empty Re: Question under hood air temps ??

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:20 pm

dont know about temps - yet some here have done just that =exactly!! cheers 
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 pm

Don has a great system in his. And he has pics also. cheers 
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Big W wrote:Don has a great system in his. And he has pics also. cheers 

Don who ? Were can I find the pics/info ?
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Dix & Scotty have overcome that problem, by installing a late 60's Mopar Rear Defroster blower to the backside of the doghouse and venting it down and out through the floor! I experienced that problem on my GF's A-100 (318cu) last summer and have bought the blower and am installing it this spring. Only have the problem when I go to a show and leave the lid down & not let the heat out. Then it won't start? This should resolve that issue! Smile

Here it is:
    Question  under hood air temps ?? Defrostermotor6
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Donivan65 has a fan mounted in front of the radiator on a timer. I'm sure he will chime in on this one.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Do you know you have the problem ?? Did you take any steps to resolve it, What is the condition of the rad, ?? Flush the rad ?? iI there a belly pan installed ?? Any idea what  T-STAT your running ??? What is  the rad cap  lbs, ?? Try to resolve the  problem with out adding on more amps to the electric system, Most of the a vans/ pickups had a 30 amp or 50 amp alternator  in them,,  Yes  Scottie and I have installed a defroster motor working backwords , Drawing the hot air out of the dog house at it's highest point.
    And pushing it thru the  froor and out, I'M thinking you have a pickup and would present a different problem, we dump out behind the drivers seat,. I don't know how much room you have back there. But we can allways resolve any problem with a little thinking ???
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:07 pm

go to your nearest marine shop and get a 3" or 4" bilge blower. flexable line up the corner and mount the blower under the van away so you don't hear it. simple little fix...
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Here's a pic of Donivan65's "hamburger fan". Very Happy  It's hooked to a timer/switch so that it can be turned on continuous or timed to shut off after a few minutes.

Question  under hood air temps ?? Vanfan10

Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:12 pm

Thanks wideload...that's the one.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:16 pm

I've got a pusher on the front of my radiator wired up the same way. Don't know if it's as effective since it pushes through the radiator but it does help cooling and pushes the fumes out of the doghouse.

JariV
    JariV

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2013-04-25

Post by JariV Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

I've got a pusher fan in front of the radiator too. I also have bigger than stock aluminum radiator and modified belly pan and I've never had any overheating issues. Outside temps here during summer can climb to 100ish F and my engine temps are steady at around 195-210F during the warm season. I have electric water pump without thermostat and water circulation altered so that it enters the heads first and then to the block. When it's colder outside the engine usually runs at 170-180F.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 am

dix wrote:Do you know you have the problem ?? Did you take any steps to resolve it, What is the condition of the rad, ?? Flush the rad ?? iI there a belly pan installed ?? Any idea what  T-STAT your running ??? What is  the rad cap  lbs, ?? Try to resolve the  problem with out adding on more amps to the electric system, Most of the a vans/ pickups had a 30 amp or 50 amp alternator  in them,,  Yes  Scottie and I have installed a defroster motor working backwords , Drawing the hot air out of the dog house  at it's highest point.
    And pushing it thru the  froor and out, I'M thinking you have a pickup and would present a different problem, we dump out behind the drivers seat,. I don't know how much room you have back there. But we can allways resolve any problem with a little thinking ???

Just thinking ahead. Looks like the VV guys have got this covered. Should have known you would.
    Does anyone know how to wire up a relay that will work when the ignition is in the OFF position? So that a fan inline with a temp switch , will turn on, when you stop the engine.
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:00 am

I also went with a 14" pusher on the radiator for "traffic" cooling. I also will leave it on for up to 30 minutes after stopping to cool the doghouse. It works, but I am probably going to add a bilge blower this spring.

You can see my install by clicking on "dawgvan" below.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:23 am