VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
ghost rider
Big W
dudley32
FIZGIG
Barnabas
vanny
jdlaugh
11 posters

Got my '65 running today!

jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Got my '65 running today! Empty Got my '65 running today!

Post by jdlaugh Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Got my '65 Econoline pickup started today. I only ran it for a few seconds but the old 240 started easy and sounded great. I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was! I had my fingers crossed it would actually work. I've had this truck for almost two years now and never heard it run. I was told it was "running when parked" an un-specified number of years ago. I always wonder about those claims.

Even if it did run when parked, no guarantee it would run now. Not only did I have the motor I had never heard run, I was using a Carter YFA carburetor I bought for $10 and then rebuilt, a new DuraSpark II ignition system I wired up from scratch and a used battery I bought at a junk yard. Rather than put gasoline in the new gas tank and charge the entire system, I dribbled gasoline through the vent tube into float bowl of the carburetor – maybe one or two ounces just to get it started.

On the first try, nothing happened at all – silence when I turned the key. My first thought was the JY battery was bad, despite their guarantee. I tested voltages and everything looked correct. It had to be a wiring mistake. I was moving things around and disconnected power to the ignition module – forgot that I had – and tried to start it. It turned over but wouldn’t start. I realized the ignition module was unplugged, plugged it back in, tried to start and got silence – nothing. For some reason plugging in the DuraSpark ignition module killed the starter circuit.

The various diagrams I've found for the Dura Spark system show a white wire running from the "S" terminal on the starter relay to the module, to tell the system when you are in start mode. I read a couple discussions saying it wasn't really needed. As far as I could see, everything was correct, so just as a blind test I disconnected that white wire and gave it a try.

I turned the key and it fired and ran on about the second or third revolution. What a surprise! It even had a nice smooth idle for the few seconds I let it run.

Now I get to start putting it all back together so I can actually drive it down the road one day .... Very Happy
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Got my '65 running today! Empty Re: Got my '65 running today!

Post by vanny Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Congrats on the successful start! Nothing like the feeling of hearing it come to life!!! You'll be on the road in no time!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:36 pm

Congratulations. That 240 should last forever!
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Post by FIZGIG Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:28 am

Success!!!!!! cheers
    dudley32
    dudley32

Number of posts : 68
    Registration date : 2015-01-17

Post by dudley32 Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:26 am

mine is also supposed to have been running when parked...I'm having to wait on the seller...I just want to get it home and try it...anticipation...glad yours worked out for you...
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Congrats on getting it running. cheers
    ghost rider
    ghost rider

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2015-01-22

Post by ghost rider Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:21 pm

good stuff happy for yea almost got my 68 gmc back together cant wait to hear in run myself
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Post by jdlaugh Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:36 pm

I've been focused on the body work since I got the truck and didn't even try to get it running until recently. I decided I REALLY wanted to hear that sucker run and maybe even drive it around the block before I took the leap and invested in paint and dress-up stuff.

It was a big relief to have it start. I could most likely get it drivable in 8-10 hours of wrench time, but I have to admit 8 hours of work on the truck usually gets spread out over a month or two these days... Embarassed
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:24 pm

Congrats on getting it running. Nothing like driving one for the first time. I just got my 67 pickup running after owning it for twenty years. It kept getting pushed to the back burner. It was the first one I bought. I've had 14 so far. I finally decided last year that it was time.

Got my '65 running today! IMG_20140917_172900597-vi

Get your truck road worthy and come and join us on Petit Jean Mountain Arkansas for the Midsouth Econoline meet Labor Day weekend. Just down the street from Tulsa.

Got my '65 running today! 100_6509-vi

Got my '65 running today! DSC02050-vi

Doesn't matter if it's in primer or a show truck. It's always welcome. We have some people that don't even bring a truck. Chevy and Dodge guys are welcome too!
    The Ronin

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2015-01-01

Post by The Ronin Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Keep up the good work JDLaugh Very Happy
    threequartersleeve
    threequartersleeve

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2013-01-01

Post by threequartersleeve Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:19 pm

Have to agree, it's great when it runs and drives well! We had an abnormally balmy day in Baltimore Sunday, and I wanted to fill the tank for the rest of Winter, and damn if it didn't start right up after a few months! Took her out, showed her off, rolled the windows down- it was GREAT! Sadly had to cover her back up before SLEET the next day....and snapped the damn antenna off in the dark! It's was worth it.
    You folks out West and down South have it GOOD!
    ghost rider
    ghost rider

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2015-01-22

Post by ghost rider Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:09 am

got my 68 gmc back to a rolling chassie again today the PO idea of repair was to put another layer of sheet metal over the problem its been 100 days of work almost every day to repair the rear frame rear floor n suppension the floor behind the rear wheels was trash the last 8 inches of frame was also. I cut the frame back12.750 inches removing both shakel mount in the process as well as the backing plate door latch plate n the lower 2 inches of the door jam I took some 2.5 by 4 by .250 wall 15.0 long tubing and made this my new frame cutting it down at the machine shop to fit into the old frame where it was first bloted then welded solid replacing the 1/16 folder sheet metal frame the sheet metal shakel mounts n floor brace where also replaced with 2 x3 x3/16 wall tubing the backing 1/16 plate was replaced with .092 thick bumper stock bolted n welded solid the rusted out door jamb bottom sheet metal was replaced with 2x2x3/16 wall tubing againg trimed down bolted then welded solid to the backing plate and door jamb sheet metal all the bolts are hardend grade 8 next up replacing the two rear corners and the two panels over the wheel wells with the 4 panels I got from ABS then I can start fitting the rear floor the vans engion trans clutch elec drive tran are all in good running order maybe by mid late april I can drive her again
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:16 am

Sounds like you have got a lot accomplished and made her safe as well. Great job on getting that tail end fixed up. Post us a pic of your work when you can. We love pics in here. cheers
    GMman
    GMman

Number of posts : 798
    Registration date : 2014-10-14

Post by GMman Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:28 am

You get a good feeling when you start an engine that hasn't been running in years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:28 am