VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
Smallblockbug
6 posters

Help me get her running. Please

Help me get her running. Please Empty Help me get her running. Please

Post by Guest Tue May 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey guys...as seen in my intro post I have a 61 econo with a 200ci motor swapped in.

I have been working on it quite a bit for the last week trying to get it running. I have replaced: plugs, coil, starter, coil wire, starter relay (solenoid), battery and battery cables. I found the truck has an electronic ignition in it. Not sure what it is off of though.

First my spark issue. It is there sometimes and others it is not. When I turn my key to on my hot side of the coil is showing 7.7 volts? It had 12.7 prior but now I cant get it to show 12v...so clearly no spark at the plugs.

Fuel issue. I have tried everything to get fuel up to this thing. I have fuel up to the line that secures to the pump, turn it over and no fuel comes through the pump. I believe the pump is shot. I ordered a new one, and hopefully this will fix this issue.

I need some help with the spark issue and anything you can think of causing this old girl to not start. I was told by the previous owner it ran last summer and just needs brakes. I am frustrated beyond words because I just want it to start so I can get to the mechanical issues.

Any help or words of advice would be great...I am new to this econoline world. If someone is in the Minnesota are I am willing to compensate for their time to help me out.

Thanks, Jordan/Minnesota
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Help me get her running. Please Empty Re: Help me get her running. Please

Post by Smallblockbug Tue May 10, 2011 7:51 pm

get a set of points and such. run a new wire to fix issue with coil power issue and put the motor on an iv style gravity feed to the carb and see if it starts.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue May 10, 2011 8:00 pm

Get yourself a 12 volt test light and hook it to ground,,,,,,,touch the Positive side of the coil while you are cranking the engine and see if the tester lights,,,,,,,,if it does,,,,,,touch it to the Negative side of the coil and crank it again,,,,,it has to blink on and off for the coil to fire,,,,not be on or off all the time,,,,,so let us know what you find and we will go from there,,,,,,
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Tue May 10, 2011 9:39 pm

You could try a direct fuel prime by pooring about an oz. of fuel down the carb as you crank the engine and listen for any changes in the cranking, but be carefull and always have a good fire extinguisher handy. If it gives you a reaction fix your fuel supply. Good luck

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2011 5:42 am

smallblock...are you saying ditch my electronic ignition? Why would I get a set of points if I do not have any currently?

donivan, I will try that as soon as I get a chance and let you know.

lyrad, I have tried the direct fuel pouring method and I get nothing. First this is first I need to tend to my spark issue.

Thanks for the help guys
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Post by Smallblockbug Sun May 15, 2011 6:11 am

I am saying replace the ignition with points to eliminate a bad electronic ignition trigger if it is the problem. But i guess i am always thinking of the most inexpensive thing to do to get an engine up and running.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun May 15, 2011 6:32 am

Small blk bug is correct- drop in a used old points type dist & see if uve got fire. got a buddy with a dist & coil?? All the electronic dist, must have 12V to it. Did someone change the points type to electronic & just connect the wire from the old Ballast resistor to it?? possible - im thinking just due to you having reduced voltage to the distributor?? Hey if u can foto the entire eng compartment= showing wiring & all components?? Leading someone on a repair is hard without seeing it ??
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sun May 15, 2011 8:29 am

Unless you have a Petronix electronic ignition system, ditch it and buy a new distributor. Advance auto sells them for 65.00. Set the points before installing the distributor. (Its easier). Hook up your wiring to the coil and check for spark. It should be there. Pour about two ounces of fuel down the carburetor throat and start the motor. If you have fire to the plugs, it should try to start. Also, run a fuel line from the fuel pump intake port to a five gallon gas can with fresh fuel. Make sure the fuel line is clear from the fuel pump to the carb. Sometimes you will have to prime the fuel pump by pouring fuel in the line coming to the intake port on the fuel pump. Then put the fuel line back in the gas can. Start the motor. It should run or at least try to run. Let us know how it goes.

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Guys thanks for everyones help. I was able to get it running using the distributor that was in there and the electronic ignition module it had. It turns out the wiring coming from the distributor was backwards? How this happened I have no idea...how I figured it out was even more of a mystery. Truck started right up and now I just need to get the brakes done!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat May 21, 2011 5:00 pm

cheers ATTA =BOY!!! cheers
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Sat May 21, 2011 7:39 pm

WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! another early on the road!!! (well, almost)
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sun May 22, 2011 5:47 am

Fantastic!! I have been playing with cars and trucks for thirty five years and sometimes dumb luck just comes into play when trying to figure something out. Its great that you have it running. And I concur with lectricman's last post!

Post by Guest Sun May 22, 2011 5:20 pm

I dont think there is a better feeling than when that motor starts up for the first time. Well maybe one feeling!

I hope to have it running by next weekend just in time for Memorial Day and the rest of the summer. Now hopefully I dont get the bug to start modifying it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:40 pm