VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
mcfly
DanTheVanMan
sonnygable
7 posters

how hot is too hot

sonnygable
    sonnygable

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

how hot is too hot Empty how hot is too hot

Post by sonnygable Thu May 07, 2009 11:59 am

ive got this big ass truck bumper covering my grill and am wondering if its keeping air from getting to the radiator.what is the optimum operaring temp on one of these old straight sixes
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

how hot is too hot Empty Re: how hot is too hot

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu May 07, 2009 12:52 pm

sonny,
    I have a 250 in my 66 and it cools just find and stays between 180-220. Cooling has always been an issue with all these old vans so I would say "Blocking" air flow of any kind is not a good idea. It may not be hurting but sure isn't helping.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

how hot is too hot Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    sonnygable
    sonnygable

Post by sonnygable Thu May 07, 2009 1:39 pm

i had it out for awhile and it was running at 240 according to the aftermarket gauge in it.ill try a new thermostat and some fresh liquid and see if that helps.if not the bumpers gota go.i kinda like it-its fabbed from a peterbilt bumper
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu May 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Yeah, I saw your pic's, that's one cool bumper! I would try alternatives first. I would flush the system, check the water pump and Rad. first. From the pic's I don't see that bumper causing the issue. Like I said. Check the Rad and w/pump and thermostat first. If that doesn't work then remove the bumper and take it for a ride and see.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2009 7:46 pm

I'd say the bumper looks cool but has to go. It's obstructing the air intake through the grill. Also it doesn't look like you have a belly pan.
    They need the belly pan to draw air to the radiator.
    240 is too high, 230 is critical in my book.

Is there a doghouse in the pick ups?
    sonnygable
    sonnygable

Post by sonnygable Fri May 08, 2009 3:24 am

yeah,same doghouse as the vans and no there is no belly pan.no where i can get one?
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Fri May 08, 2009 4:12 am

I bet they removed the belly pan when the bumper was installed.When you replace the belly pan I would think the bumper would then have to go.To keep the bumper you may have to modify it or the belly pan to get more air flow. Only one way to find out,Good Luck.

By the way nice truck

mike
    sonnygable
    sonnygable

Post by sonnygable Fri May 08, 2009 8:47 am

if i flush the system and put in a 160 or 180 thermostat,can i use extended life antifreeze,ive got a couple gallons laying around the garage.also,how would check the waterpump and check it for what.its not leaking-i know that.the air that flows thru the belly pan(if i had one),does it come thru the grill or from under the truck?thanx guys
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri May 08, 2009 1:23 pm

If the bearings in the waterpump are gone, there will be evidence of leaking out the weep hole. the belly pan attaches under the frame rails and behind the grille.

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2009 1:40 pm

I would ditch the bumper ASAP. and install a belly pan.Also a good electric fan will help. Get one between 2800 and 3200cfm

Here's a good one and it will fit perfect in your truck.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HFM-ZFBC16S&N=700+115&autoview=sku
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri May 08, 2009 8:16 pm

I agree,the bumper obstructs the air flow and that's critical on any early model. If you need a belly pan I have several along with just about anything else you might need. I could save you shipping by bringing it to the Bakers in Milford,Mi. meet if you are attending that this year. Whatever you may need,I can probably hook you up.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri May 08, 2009 8:22 pm

After market water pumps are inferior to the original types. Instead of a cast impeller,they use a stamped or punched sheet metal type impeller. It doesnt move the same volume of water as the cast one does. Also any of the impellers can be corroded badly and the impeller itself can be much smaller in size than it was originally, thereby being less efficient. 240 degrees is way too high for comfort. Imagine what it woud get to on a really hot day in traffic.

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Mike, do you own that fan?
    The specs are pretty good and only 10 amps.
    3000 cfm is more for a bent 8, 2000 would be enough for a six.
    Don't like the chrome though.
    It would fit as a pusher but a puller is much more efficient plus blasting air over the engine is also better. My pusher ran 220 ° on hot days with belly pan and a 3 core 1965 mustang rad freshly boiled out.

I did the pusher to puller conversion today and it was not easy.
    I had 1/2 inch space between water pump pulley and radiator.
    The rad had to come 3 inches forward using 5 inch bolts and tubing.
    We fabbed a fan mount welded to the rods 'cause I didn't like the fan hanging on the fins by those plastic rods (causes leaking).
    Had to install longer transmission oil lines and change the kickdown rod.
    The rad is now very close to the front of the doghouse which I'm going to open up as well as the floor in front to get more air through with a fabbed intake.
    I'll upload pics soon.

Cheers Smile

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2009 9:02 pm

I used one( not chrome) on another van with a V8 and it kept it at around 180-190 even when it was 115 here. I used it as a pusher. I plan on getting one for my 65 but again no chrome. The one Summit has is just like the one I used, same size and everything just chrome. I don't like chrome because it does not disipate heat.
    sonnygable
    sonnygable

how hot is too hot Empty running hot

Post by sonnygable Sat May 16, 2009 6:37 am

ok,it wasnt the thermostat,there wasnt even one in there.when i start the truck(warm or cold)it makes a very loud sreeching sound for about a minute then goes away.at first i thought it was the fan belt but now i wonder could it be the waterpump.it doesnt leak at all,does this make any sense?the radiator doesnt appear to be in the greatest shape either but its not leaking either.its about 200 miles to bakers-i gotta get this thing cobbled together quick
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794

Post by Digz Sun May 17, 2009 7:26 am

On our wheel loaders the pulley grooves end up wearing round and cause the belt to squeal alittle at start ups, A new belt in a worn groove, the belt is trying to just ride on the bottom edges of the V, whether this would be a cooling issue I dont know, it'd have to be slipping pretty severly. Usually it is the crank pulley in our case because that never gets changed, Just an idea to check
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun May 17, 2009 8:01 am

Like I said,the water pump may appear perfect,may even have good bearings and not leak. But the impeller could be severely corroded and now be much smaller than when new,thereby being less efficient,moving less water volume. ALso I would install a thermostat. It cant hurt to have the radiator hot tanked and checked either and flush the engine while its out. Dont forget to flush the heater core too. It could be clogged also.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun May 17, 2009 8:04 am

Also a fan shround and belly pan would help too. It all kinda works together as a package. If the engine and radiator were brand new the belly pan wouldnt be as big of a factor but on used stuff which has years of internal buildup,making water passages smaller,it helps a lot. It helps maximize the airflow forced thru the radiator and prevents it from escaping below it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun May 17, 2009 8:06 am

,,,,,You need the thermostat in there,,,,,,you don't want the coolant rushing through the radiator before it gets a chance to get cooled down,,,,,,and the radiator uses air under the van,,,,,the bellypan pushes it up,,,,,,feel the radiator when it is hot,,,,,,,see if there are any cold spots that would be tubes that are clogged up and not cooling,,,,,without a good radiator, you are done for,,,,,,,#1 rule,,,,,,,have your radiator recored,,,,,preferably to a 3 row of tubes, or have yours cleaned and rodded out. If you get a used electric radiator fan, wire it up with a switch in the cab and mount it so it blows the air up towards the front of the radiator, that helps to cool the radiator,,,,,,the radiator needs air to work right,,,,,,I got a little Honda fan on my Chevy,,,,,,I would never leave home without it,,,,,,,,

how hot is too hot Pictur11
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun May 17, 2009 10:29 am

Now that's a "COOL" idea Don. I had wondered if something like that would work and had tried to figure a way to have it hooked to another thermo-Switch to kick it on only when needed.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun May 17, 2009 7:22 pm

I also have a belly pan on mine,,,,but the radiator needs air going through it to do its job,,,,,and at idle you need air. I also got a 60 minute ceiling fan timer on my fan,,,,,I can either turn it on or twist the timer and forget it. The fan is really good when climbing up mountains in 100 degree temps,,,,,,and when stuck in traffic,,,,,if I leave it on too long my engine gets too cold,,,I have to pull the choke out untill the engine gets back up to operating temp. They make all kinds of automatic sensors that stick in the fins or onto the radiator hose and of course, real ones that fit into the thermostat housing. But the fan is just a helper for when the going gets rough,,,,,
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun May 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Yeah, I noticed right after moving down to Fernandina Beach that mine is starting to run a little warm. So put in a 190 degree Thermostat, Coolant Temp and Oil Pressure Gauges today. Going to make a run up to Mom’s on Tues to help her pack up the house for the move to AR. Figure that will be a good test. Heading to check out the JY’s in Jacksonville next weekend and thinking a belly pan fan may need to be on the list as well.

Finally found a good use for that "Ash Tray".....

how hot is too hot 05170910

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Post by Guest Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:25 am

i had the same thing. trying to keep the motor running cool.so heres what i came up with. I run a 302 roller block mustang rig with a c4 tranny.1st off if you have an automatic,get a cooler,Transmission fluid runs way hotter than coolent so running it thru your rad is not good.Flex fans did not work cause they flatten out at speed, so back to the fixed pitch total pulling fan , but for low speeds or idling,a pusher electric fan on the front of the rad works pretty fine with auto or manual switch. 160 thermostat sos to not let the temp get to high before opening.and last I cut into the heater hose to divert the flow to a 2nd rad in the space between the side doors and frame. since the heater is always open, aportion of your coolent will always go thru the other rad doing a real good job plus youve added agallon extra to the system. all good. I ran to the PA nats this year and even during the hot days ,the van never went got past 170ish. Oh yeah,the 2nd rad is made out of baseboard heater core, so it can be made any size.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:27 pm