VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Critical Transmission Measurement Needed

busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Critical Transmission Measurement Needed Empty Critical Transmission Measurement Needed

Post by busman78 Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:03 am

Due to a shortage of V8 van style 727 transmission in Oklahoma I will be using a standard long tail 727 in my A108 V8 conversion. I need the distance between the center of the top tail housing bolt hole where it attaches to the main case and the center of the hanger bolt, can be from the right or left side, just let me know which one. This measurement will allow me to make a rear hanger that utilizes the stock hanger frame bracket.

Or better yet if somebody has a extra complete 727 van tail housing for sale I would be interested in buying it. It would save a lot of fabrication.

busman78
    busman78

Critical Transmission Measurement Needed Empty Re: Critical Transmission Measurement Needed

Post by busman78 Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:37 am

Did not realize that was going to be a complicated request, that or I am the only Dodge vanner on this site with a V8 727 combo, for those of you that have a van with the V8 727 combo or have converted a van to this and had the correct transmission this measurement would be meaningless, but not having the correct hanger I need to know what the original factory slope was. This is so I can either maintain that angle and adjust the Ford 9" rear pinion angle or alter the slope of both engine and rear, just need the original starting point.

Okay there is another way to get this measurement without having to crawl under the van.

Course this requires he van to be level front to rear to do his, with a Angle Meter Gauge lift up the engine cover and place the gauge on the top ridge of the valve cover to get the slope of the engine from front to rear.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Critical Transmission Measurement Needed Empty Re: Critical Transmission Measurement Needed

Post by benwah Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:37 am

If your going to use a longer tailshaft 727 Have you concidered installing an early 90's 3spd with o/d? It should fit a 1o8! I had a 1o8 years ago that the hanger bracket was gone and someone installed a bottom bracket that bolted through the cross member. Right now I dont have any v8 1o8's at the moment. I would measure everything before you disasemble and install new tranny with the same grade. Good luck
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:13 am

Right now it is just mock up time, have thought about doing the later OD trans, but already have the 727, also have a 999 lock up, whichever gets chosen will be rebuilt with a few improvements.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:28 pm