VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Key code location on '65 and '66 Econoline?

AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Key code location on '65 and '66 Econoline? Empty Key code location on '65 and '66 Econoline?

Post by AZ SuperVan Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:21 am

On other Ford products the key code can sometimes be found inside a door on the lock assembly. Is the key code for our Econolines anywhere on the vehicle?

I need to remove the ignition lock to remove the switch and I do not have a key.

RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Key code location on '65 and '66 Econoline? Empty Re: Key code location on '65 and '66 Econoline?

Post by RF Man Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:54 am

AZ--Don't know about any key code, but I was in the same position with no ignition key. On my 61, I took the drivers door lock out and took it to a locksmith and had a key made. That key worked my ignition. So, I may have lucked out, but it's and easy an inexpensive experiment that may work for you. Good luck.

Mike C
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Key code location on '65 and '66 Econoline? Empty Re: Key code location on '65 and '66 Econoline?

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:03 am

Heres the straight skinny!! Ford's= get code from the Pass door lock Cyl>> Ford =ALWAYS!! put the codes on that cyl!! Straight from the Locksmiths mouth I know here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 am

Probably cause some of the early models didn't have a drivers side lock?

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Post by AZ SuperVan Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 am

Thanks! I will go pull it and see what I find.
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Post by AZ SuperVan Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Found it! E346
    weirdbeard
    weirdbeard
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2014-04-15

Post by weirdbeard Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:18 pm

so now that you found the code, can you get a key cut for it. I am missing my door lock keys myself.
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Post by AZ SuperVan Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:48 pm

I know I can with the later two sided keys at West Coast Classic Cougar. I don't know if hey have the codes for our keys. Maybe a Mustang parts vendor can do it? I called the local Ace and they can't do it. They thought the dealership or a lock smith might have the codes.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:26 pm

OK uze Guys------------- :affraAs I have stated before- & member "Savage" just recieved his keys from me --I have an old locksmith here that  does only =Vintage keys - all he needs is a code!!  He made 2 new ones for savage -postage & all for 2 keys was  aprox. $25.00  Therefore  ill be happy to get u 2 for that amount!! all i need is the code -what year its for & make vehicle. I go by the shop about  every 2 weeks too. its about 20 miles from me here.   Let me know!! They guarentee the keys to work too!! cheers

Be =AWARE!! that u need to get the key code from the right =Passenger door lock assembly!! and realize - that each door lock & ign. switch can be different -IF?? It had ever been replaced!!
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Post by AZ SuperVan Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Update my situation... the ignition lock was filled with dirt and pretty well frozen solid when I tried to stick another key in it it would not go all the way in. This is because the windshield is popped out at the top corner and it lets rain etc come in. A lot of cleaning and blowing out might work, but I decided to just drill the guts out of it and get a new tumbler assembly.

The door locks are also in poor shape and frozen up internally. When I pulled the passenger side lock to get the number that was when I noticed just how badly it had deteriorated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:31 pm