VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+18
scarlin
Joe Van
dodge man
pan58head
delraydoug
Vantasia
mikeysly
Coop
dan nachel
Big W
BoneMan
Space Truckin
Scott
vanner68
Donn
dix
Twinpilot001
Admin
22 posters

Then and Now... Are we better off today?

vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Then and Now... Are we better off today? - Page 4 Empty Re: Then and Now... Are we better off today?

Post by vanner68 Mon May 12, 2014 7:07 am

Like I said before- the current political system's primary interest is maintaining power. It will have to collapse before any real change can be made.

The problem is that historically, when a system collapses it is usually replaced by something much worse.

All I am saying is there are no easy answers.
    chate
    chate

Number of posts : 211
    Registration date : 2014-02-03

Then and Now... Are we better off today? - Page 4 Empty Re: Then and Now... Are we better off today?

Post by chate Mon May 12, 2014 11:38 am

I have to agree the economy and government are a disaster. Not a single government program works as it should and what i see as a problem is no one is ever held accountable! But there are a few factors that are variables between then and now that aren't usually taken into account. The physical sizes of homes alone have pretty much doubled. Most homes then had one TV not one in every room. No one paid for for television they had free TV. No one had cellphones or internet they made due with landlines.Eating out occasionally (fast food or restaurant) occasionally as opposed to eating at home occasionally. One vehicle per family as opposed to one or more per person. Lots and Lots of LUXURIES not necessarily NECESSITY! Think about it!
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Mon May 12, 2014 11:50 am

Yes, as a nation our wants have become needs.

I need a beer.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Mon May 12, 2014 11:52 am

By the way- mikeysly, I thoroughly enjoyed the debate, it's refreshing to have an 'arguement' online that does not degenerate into name calling. For that, you have my respect.
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2009-05-04

Post by mattimuss Mon May 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Hey Mikeysly & Vanner,

I have been enjoying your "debate" and reading this post everyday expecting it to go over the "edge" any second. I'm happy to see it didn't.

Well done...

Now let's get back to talking about vans!
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Tue May 13, 2014 4:30 am

So anyway- what about those gas prices, huh?
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Tue May 13, 2014 6:19 am

thanks folks! don't really think it's an argument per say,(sp.?)(se?), 'cause i truly believe us "common" folk got way more in "common" than in opposition. we've got to get it together and organize, unite, or our once proud nation really will join the 3rd world. i've been down the personal invective path and no-one on this site deserves that. it's just so important for us to know who and whom truly bears the greatest responsibility for our sorry state of affairs. i am also grateful to you, vanner68 et al, that we did have a sober discussion without getting into name-calling and personal invective. if we as fellow citizens can get beyond that, and ideology, we can collectively come up with concrete solutions. United we stand, divided we fall!
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Tue May 13, 2014 6:35 am

Very true, Mikey- While I do not agree with a Marxist ideology, you do present your side well.

I believe there is another revolution coming if some real change in leadership does not occur.
    Coop
    Coop

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-04-01

Post by Coop Tue May 13, 2014 4:41 pm

mattimuss wrote:Hey Mikeysly & Vanner,

I have been enjoying your "debate" and reading this post everyday expecting it to go over the "edge" any second.  I'm happy to see it didn't.

Well done...

I 2nd that. Well done. cheers 
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Post by Admin Sun May 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Coop wrote:
    mattimuss wrote:Hey Mikeysly & Vanner,

I have been enjoying your "debate" and reading this post everyday expecting it to go over the "edge" any second.  I'm happy to see it didn't.

Well done...

I 2nd that. Well done. cheers 

3rd it! Very Happy
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Sun May 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Mikey's an intelligent person, and just because we have differing viewpoints doesn't mean we can't have friendly debate.

I just wish more people could separate the ideology from the person.

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it!"

- Voltaire (sort of)
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Mon May 19, 2014 12:05 am

still say us working folk got way more in common than not so thanks for the sober, conscientious discussion folks! this is how we'll find common ground and move forward...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:25 pm