VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+18
scarlin
Joe Van
dodge man
pan58head
delraydoug
Vantasia
mikeysly
Coop
dan nachel
Big W
BoneMan
Space Truckin
Scott
vanner68
Donn
dix
Twinpilot001
Admin
22 posters

Then and Now... Are we better off today?

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Then and Now... Are we better off today? Empty Then and Now... Are we better off today?

Post by Admin Sat May 03, 2014 9:49 am

I got to thinking about the outrageous price of gas...  I remember when I could fill up on $5!  Minimum wage was less than $2 back then, so you worked a little more than 3 hours (at minimum wage) to fill your car's belly. Very Happy

At today's gas prices, and current minimum wage, the same person needs to work a day and a half to pay to fill up the tank!  Shocked 

Question we make more money today, but are we better off?

please share your thoughts!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Then and Now... Are we better off today? Empty Re: Then and Now... Are we better off today?

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat May 03, 2014 9:51 am

ABSOLUTELY!!=NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Then and Now... Are we better off today? Empty Re: Then and Now... Are we better off today?

Post by dix Sat May 03, 2014 10:34 am

we were a lot better off in the 60's and 70's than we are now, (less goverment & less rules)

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Sat May 03, 2014 4:51 pm

I would not want to be a young couple trying to buy a house today.
    The average house around here is about $400.000 how can anyone afford that?
    I put down $15.000 on my first house that was $75.000 I sold that to buy my current house and I still
    Have not paid it off yet! 27 years later.
    How are they ever going to do it.
    Sad
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Sat May 03, 2014 5:04 pm

I've always been broke, but lately it seems I am brokerer
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat May 03, 2014 5:07 pm

1969 bought my 1st -NEW!! House - completely furnished-all appliances! Qualdasac in new subdivision!!  Ready to move into - ready=???   $18,500.00!!! Neighbor next to me today  bought his new home -was 4 years old -orig. sold for $350.000.00 in20086-he paid  ready?? $665,000.00
    then the market fell on its butt!! Good 'ol usa & our government. affraid affraid lol! lol! lol! lol!
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Sat May 03, 2014 7:18 pm

Definitely NOT better off..

Started my new job less then six months ago, after the "Affordable Healthcare" was coming into play. Caused my new company to adjust insurance plans accordingly. I pay more now for insurance then I ever have, and my co-pay is over $100 for a visit. I can't afford to go to the doctor as much as I need, I'm having to build a list and just go when I have too for prescriptions.

My kids, now in their twenties, are always quick to jump on me if I don't use a politically correct term for something that I was raised saying and nobody thought anything of it.

People used to do things, and we created laws, because it was the right thing to do, not because I lined someones pocket. Our government has always been slow and complicated, but between the different parties things balanced over the decades. Now it seems with each new president in office they push their powers beyond their limits, its more about what they can get away with anyway they can. Not recognizing the other branches, and why those branches have the power they have.

Sorry,   guess this topic hit a nerve.  To be more specific I would write more then anyone would read. I am just tired of being ridiculed for believing and doing things I was raised to believe were OK, and many times these people are half my age and really don't have the wisdom to know the rippling effects of what is happening.

Obviously I am not happy with what its become.

Oh, and I don't like the super high gas prices either..
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Sat May 03, 2014 7:55 pm

The Obama Doctrine

NUFF SAID!
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Post by BoneMan Sat May 03, 2014 8:17 pm

I'd like it the way it was in the 70's, but WITH the technology of today please.   bounce
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun May 04, 2014 5:00 am

Im with -SCOTT and more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid cheers 
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Sun May 04, 2014 6:58 am

The government has been around in it's current configuration since 1787, with a legislative branch making laws the whole time. So, we have a LOT of laws now, and we will keep getting more because that's what Congress does.

THe basics were covered in the Constitution, and common sense supplied the rest..... but in order to justify their existence, Congress has to keep making laws. So we get a Federal Government micro managing our lives, which is exactly the opposite of what the Founding Fathers wanted.

I don't see it getting any better, folks. Eventually, in the name of safety and emissions, all vintage vehicles will be leglislated off the road.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Post by Admin Sun May 04, 2014 10:54 am

Technology... good and bad....

Today we get to know folks from all over the world via the web that the vast majority will never meet in person, but how many of us get to know other people who live close to us, say within walking distance? Sad fact, many people are afraid or indifferent to get to their neighbors...

When I was a kid, we had block parties on holidays etc., and the neighbors got together to help each other out with major home improvement projects. Does that even happen any more?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun May 04, 2014 10:55 am

Its seems like, just when you think we are moving forward, something happens and all you can say is WTF! were they thinking. Airplanes without pilots, cars that park themselves-then kill someone when they lose power from hitting a pothole and have no steering. Facebook and twitter and web cams LIVE in the vehicle while driving?????? ....GAS PRICES...is only the tip of the iceberg. Are we better off? I don't know anymore. Then I hear of a breakthrough in a surgical procedure or a new way of treating cancer (my dad) and I think...Thank God for those that pioneered and kept trying to rethink the wheel. In some cases we are better off, and in others...not so much.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Sun May 04, 2014 10:57 am

chebby wrote:Technology...   good and bad....  

Today we get to know folks from all over the world via the web that the vast majority will never meet in person, but how many of us get to know other people who live close to us, say within walking distance?  Sad fact, many people are afraid or indifferent to get to their neighbors...

When I was a kid, we had block parties on holidays etc., and the neighbors got together to help each other out with major home improvement projects.  Does that even happen any more?
    My neighborhood is still like that..... Saturdays in the summer are party night around the bonfire....
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Sun May 04, 2014 12:36 pm

The latest here in NY are speed cameras around schools. So if you speed in a school zone big brother now can give you a ticket from a camera!
    How long before they are everywhere..
    I agree with Scott plus more. I don't even want to start about the shape of "our" government.
    They say most dominate states, countries, empires whatever you want to call them. The roman empire, the Greeks, the Egyptians etc last about 200 years before they fail. I think we are headed in that direction.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Sun May 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Unfortionatly, we have ourselves to blame. Only about 67% of people are registered to vote, of that about 50% actually do vote and it only takes 51% to win, so in essence, the loud mouth 20 - 25% voted Obama in. And on top of that, the politicians are in for 40 years or more, gaining more and more power. It is no longer Left versus Right. It is We the people versus the elite. Doesn't mater wheather you are Dem. or rep., If your representative has been in office more than two terms, vote them out. The peopkle that create the problems CANNOT fix them, they think the same way. It is time for some new blood in office with fresh new thoughts. VOTE!!
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Sun May 04, 2014 1:00 pm

We have reached the point where those in power are only interested in remaining in power. Historically, collapse is not far behind.
    Coop
    Coop

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-04-01

Post by Coop Sun May 04, 2014 3:49 pm

vanner68 wrote:The government has been around in it's current configuration since 1787, with a legislative branch making laws the whole time. So, we have a LOT of laws now, and we will keep getting more because that's what Congress does.

THe basics were covered in the Constitution, and common sense supplied the rest..... but in order to justify their existence, Congress has to keep making laws. So we get a Federal Government micro managing our lives, which is exactly the opposite of what the Founding Fathers wanted.

I don't see it getting any better, folks. Eventually, in the name of safety and emissions, all vintage vehicles will be leglislated off the road.

X2
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Mon May 05, 2014 7:56 am

gotta' agree w/all y'all. US has been on a downward spiral since before i was born. ('67) Nixon sold us out to China. no difference between dems and repubs. "slowbama and the audacity of nope" VOTE 3rd PARTY! we coulda been drivin' around '59 Cadillac limos w/ zero emissions on propane if our "representatives" gave a $hit about the world or their constituents!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon May 05, 2014 8:04 am

At least we have the internet to have our thoughts travel beyond our local towns! And HD TV's too....
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Post by delraydoug Mon May 05, 2014 8:15 am

And we are driving around in the same old vans- maybe someday we can buy new ones.  Lol.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Mon May 05, 2014 8:18 am

mikeysly wrote:gotta' agree w/all y'all. US has been on a downward spiral since before i was born. ('67) Nixon sold us out to China. no difference between dems and repubs. "slowbama and the audacity of nope" VOTE 3rd PARTY! we coulda been drivin' around '59 Cadillac limos w/ zero emissions on propane if our "representatives" gave a $hit about the world or their constituents!

I am amazed that someone else knows how Nixon screwed us over opening trade with China!

Most people can't get past Watergate.
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Tue May 06, 2014 4:50 am

My 2 cents, I have a "good job" as I'm told, make decent money. But I do side work to survive, this used to be extra money for my projects/toys. Now seems as fast as money comes in it goes back out. I feel for the next generation, they are never going to get ahead. Most of the guys i work with are getting close to retirement age and alot of them are not going to get to retire, going to have to work an extra 5-8 years
    Coop
    Coop

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-04-01

Post by Coop Tue May 06, 2014 5:46 am

[quote="pan58head"]My 2 cents, I have a "good job" as I'm told, make decent money. But I do side work to survive, this used to be extra money for my projects/toys. Now seems as fast as money comes in it goes back out. I feel for the next generation, they are never going to get ahead. Most of the guys i work with are getting close to retirement age and alot of them are not going to get to retire, going to have to work an extra 5-8 years[/quote}

Same here it seems that I just can't do enough. Working 12 to 16 hour days/nights + most weekends and still can't get ahead anymore. Now you get to do all this just so the cradle to the grave welfare people can have $500 phones, $300+ outfits and BMWs, free housing,food, transportation and more. Far to many of these people have no desire to work or get an education as they cry for more more more. I have to see this every day and it makes me sick Mad . Sorry I had to vent a little.
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Tue May 06, 2014 5:52 am

thanks for the compliment Vanner68! i do a lot of reading so I can know why and how all the skulduggery that got us in this situation happened. cold comfort, pyrrhic victory for a poor guy. I will probably die in penury, but at least I'll be drivin' in style 'til I get to my dyin' day!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:25 pm