VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

alternator regulator Fuse ??

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

alternator regulator Fuse ?? Empty alternator regulator Fuse ??

Post by rustytoolss Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm doing some wiring going to an electronic voltage regulator. As I was looking over my factory service manual (wiring) I see that the power goes from the ign SW to the fuse panel and through a FUSE then to the regulator. Although I did not pull the fuse. It looks like the wiring diagram says fuse 61A. The fuse does not look to be over 25A.
    Has anyone had any problems with the fuse in the charging system ?
    I have NEVER seen a fuse between the ING SW to the regulator. Is this something mopar did in there trucks?
    Back to my electronic reg. Should I still get my IGN power from that same FUSED regulator power lead ?
    Sure could use some input. I would like to get thing done under the dash. Thanks guys
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

alternator regulator Fuse ?? Empty Re: alternator regulator Fuse ??

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 pm

That should read a 6 amp fuse,,,,,,,the ignition switch sends juice to it,,,,,then it goes to the voltage regulator which then sends it to the field terminal on the alternator to regulate the voltage output,,,,,,but there is problems with that set up,,,,,you want to regulate the voltage at the battery,,,,,,the way Dodge does it is to regulate the voltage at the ignition switch,,,,,,because thats where the sensing input line of the voltage regulator is connected at,,,,,,things got better when they switched to the 2 field wire alternator with a solid state electronic voltage regulator....
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:35 am

So it sounds like I should rewire the system to what was use for the 2 wire field alternator.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:39 am

shawn wtat you have to watch is the factory electric system was set up for 35 amp if you change to a 70 amp or 90amp you are setting your self up for issues , the existing wiring is 40 plus years old,
    the highest i'd go is 50 amp alt. altho i still run 35 amp.

Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:54 am

Well,,,,,,you got choices,,,,but you need a different alternator if you convert over from the stock voltage regulator to the newer electronic system,,,,,and if you aint too proud this $29 GM just needs a wire from the ignition switch and one to the battery to get the job done......

alternator regulator Fuse ?? Dodge_11

alternator regulator Fuse ?? 29_dol10
    hometeam
    hometeam

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2013-01-21

Post by hometeam Sat May 10, 2014 9:16 pm

i have rewired my van from ign switch to voltage reg to alt to starter relay several times because voltage regulator was not grounded properly and would fry entire circuit.

my father who is a old timer mechanic shared this with me.

first be sure all your wiring is good and is GROUNDED. the voltage regulator is called INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE REGULATOR - AUTO ZONE PART NUMBER VR706 - captain obvious tells us that it regulates panel instruments and the charging system is included in the panel. -

so several times i would rewire entire circuit and purchase many an alternator and or battery - change the fuse and test circuit for it to fry again . so this is when my dad shares with me - are you attaching the instrument panel back to the dash when you test the circuit because that is what grounds the instrument panel . BINGO - 3rd rewire was a charm.

lesson learned ground - ground - ground and use the auto zone vr706 voltage regulator on the old wired systems - it worked for me and no more issues with charging systems.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun May 11, 2014 4:26 am

I f you are going to touch base on grounds then I'd do what homweteam stated ground.ground ground, this is very important, ground the engine to the frame then the tranny to the frame, then the dog house , and so on...

Post by rustytoolss Sun May 11, 2014 7:38 am

hometeam wrote:i have rewired my van from ign switch to  voltage reg to alt to starter relay several times because voltage regulator was not grounded properly and would fry entire circuit.

my father who is a old timer mechanic shared this with me.

first be sure all your wiring is good and is GROUNDED. the voltage regulator is called INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE REGULATOR - AUTO ZONE PART NUMBER VR706 - captain obvious tells us that it regulates panel instruments and the charging system is included in the panel. -

so several times i would rewire entire circuit and purchase many an alternator and or battery - change the fuse and test circuit for it to fry again . so this is when my dad shares with me - are you attaching the instrument panel back to the dash when you test the circuit because that is what grounds the instrument panel . BINGO - 3rd rewire was a charm.

lesson learned ground - ground  - ground and use the auto zone vr706 voltage regulator on the old wired systems - it worked for me and no more issues with charging systems.

So you added the instrument voltage regulator also. I know that most 60s-late 70s mopars used them. But my 64 A100 does not, thought that was strange. Were did you wire it in ? and how ? Does it just add a ground? Thanks for the info.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2013-12-16

Post by sweetvan Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:59 am

I also have to replace my '65's alternator and regulator. The regulator upper points were stuck in the high charge position and the 10 amp fuse for the alt./reg, circuit was blown. My service manual wiring diagram also shows a 61 amp fuse for that circuit, but that doesn't seem right, even though a new alternator is rated at 60 amps. What is the correct size fuse to use in this circuit? Does 6 amps work?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:22 am

there should be all the info needed under dodge links page.

Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:19 am

that 6 amp fuse is for the voltage regulator,,,,,,,it has nothing to do with the alternator,,,,,,,unless it blows,,,,,,,then the regulator wont turn the alternator on,,,,,regulator don't know if the alternator can put out  30, 60 or 100 amps,,,,,,,,it just tells the alternator keep charging so that 14 volts stays at the fuse,,,,,,,,,shut off if it gets higher,  start charging if it gets lower,,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:57 am