VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Clutch pedal spring

Richie Rich

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

Clutch pedal spring Empty Clutch pedal spring

Post by Richie Rich Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:23 pm

I was replacing my brake light switch today and noticed a loop on the bottom of the clutch pedal. So I looked in the manual and it shows a spring there. Does anybody know a part number for that spring or specs for a substitute? You know I've been driving this van for three and a half years and didn't notice a problem.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Clutch pedal spring Empty Re: Clutch pedal spring

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:02 pm

..there is a hole behind the grille for that spring,,,,,anything you can stretch will work,,,,,,its just there to keep the clutch fork and throw out bearing away from the fingers on the pressure plate,,,,,,I hope you have freeplay on that throw out bearing and its not holding the clutch pedal up instead of that missing spring....
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:48 am

you can get a custom cut spring from TruckandCarshop.com out of Orange, CA. i got a 23" for my sec. gen. or you can just use 2 smaller springs from an auto or hardware shop. works fine without 'em, but makes the clutch pedal transit smoother
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 pm

McMaster -Carr Industrial supply has one and Lowes has a large selection of springs that will work.  Look here:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#extension-springs/=rkcwvz    item 'G' under "special ends" group works with the 0.063 wire diameter and long straight end you bend to length, they come in a 5 pack, I used the same one to replace the throttle pedal and clutch return springs at the same time.  I think they ship nationwide, so does Grainger, has the same selection. Mine was missing too, read the clutch adjustment procedure in that same manual and check your pivot pins for wear while your at it. The rod ends can be repaired with clevis ends and the push rod pivot is the same as a vintage Vette, readily available.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:57 pm

I was lucky enough to get One of those 5 Springs from jbass for my Brake Pedal and it Looks and Works better than the Factory One Did..!!!... Very Happy ..I just cut 6 inches off the end and bent it over and it was the right tension for the brake pedal...Thanks Again jbass I Owe You One.....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:25 pm

,,,,,there is nothing special about those springs,,,,you could use a rubber band or bungee cord to pull the pedals back up,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:33 pm

,,,,,not everything is in the book,,,,you need to use common sense,,,,,you don't want to put a brake or clutch spring on the gas pedal...all that does is make it harder to push down on on the pedal, wear out the plastic bushings in the pedal and wear out the throttle shaft hole in the carb,,,,,,sucks air and won't idle right,,,,you need to put a small spring from the carb to the doghouse,,,if you don't,  and something breaks or comes loose,,,the carb goes to WIDE  OPEN,,,,,,put a spring on the throttle shaft linkage to keep it at idle....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:28 pm