VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+27
Vannin Ken
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
jfox
dix
wylee
Big W
ScottyJones
SteelyVan
Scotts_A100
VANagain
Leftcoast65
rustybug13
sandyvan
back2thewoods
donivan65
millwright71
G-Man
Digz
vanny
Wheelie
the_surfing_guy
HandiVanMan
Twinpilot001
Gothboy
Joe Van
Axlejack
Dirtstar1
31 posters

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Empty Re: Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

Post by vanny Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:33 am

That works! You've come a long way in a short time!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2013-05-24

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Empty Re: Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks Vanny, I just don't want to loose momentum.

Here is the eBay link to the hella headlights.
    http://bit.ly/18oJIH5
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:11 pm

COOL Little Mini Bike I own a version of a 1986 Honda Fat Cat Mini Bike that I built we use it alot when we go camping or Vanning it keeps me young..Smile . BOY those headlights really made a big difference how much did you pay for the pair. Are they glass or plastic? I was thinking of adding fog lights on mine because the original headlights aren't that great at night so the lights you used are a better choice.  Thanks....JOE....
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Joe van, the headlights are glass or crystal. They were designed for early road racing cars or rally cars. They run anywhere from $35 a light to a $150 a pair. eBay was the best source for me. Then here comes the next part, picking a light bulb. I got sylvania silverstar. That's the brightest H4 bulb I could find without going to HID. You can use HID with this set up and it would be brighter yet, but too many wires for me. Less is more.  

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Null-130

Here is the light packaging so you guys can do some googling
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Null-131
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:08 pm

I've come to a crossroads. The van needs serious engine work. I mean it burns a quart every 60 Miles.  Nearly all performance is gone and its really hard to get it to move its self in first. My dad wants me to put a modern engine in the van. I'm leaning towards rebuilding the 230 and putting throttle body injection on it. If I re ring the engine and rebuild the head the 230 will last a very long time. This keeps the van pretty original and maybe retains some value.

So on the next quandary, if I keep the stock engine I want to keep the 3 on the tree. It's a neat novelty. All except the fact that the gear selections suck. We have options. I can put in a Borg Warner 3 speed overdrive.  This would give me .8 overdrive with electric shift whole retaining the 3 speed linkage.

Anyone use one?

What RPM's do you guys like to cruise at?

What is cruising speed?

What's everyone's preference on rear end ratios? My van has 3.08 gears.
    The chart below represents what gears I think should be in it and the speed it will go with my tire size.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Null-132
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:08 pm

This is just my opinion (some experience). If that little 6 banger has a lot of miles on it you will really need to punch it out and get the bore straight. A simple re-ring might bring you some grief. Your not going to hurt any values by upgrading it properly. You can do a lot with a 230 also but it's a cost vs gain thing and up to you in the end.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:59 am

All good points, and that's what I struggle with. I fear I gotta cut the doghouse to put the 4200 trailblazer engine in. I think that detracts from the value. Where as anyone would accept a properly running all original van. As far as the mileage the van only has 37,000 on it. Lol
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Switching the in line to TBI is some panelmanrd is good at. Other than the machine work to bore it , pistons are the same as a 283. Y a might could score a set of those cheap. getting heads done? I have never spent less than 400$ on anything so not sure there. I don't know , you might could do a reasonable rebuild with just a little machine work and gain some power without going extreme. Cams I have no idea whats available for 6s.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:17 pm

I'd be ok with stock power. The van is no race car. I've got really fast motorcycles for that. Talking to my machine shop, he says that the valve guides are shot, and the unleaded seats are pretty pricy. As for the TBI, I can do that with all wrecking yard parts and the machining I can do no problem at work. I've seen guys use a series of adapters to get there but not for me.

On the flip side, I did find a R10 Borg Warner 3speed overdrive. It's the same tranny as the van comes with, only with a overdrive tail shaft. If properly modified it will shift 6 times in forward.

Ya, as much as it pains me, ill prolly pull the head and get it to the machine shop as a short cut. If the pistons look terrible, then ill just pull the short block out and tear it down.  In hoping I can cheat. Lol
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Well I've located a rebuilt used 250 inline 6 for $300 bucks. I'm going to pick it up this weekend. In the meanwhile the van stays in the driveway until its last drive on that engine taking it to the shop.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Congrats, sounds like a good solution

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    the_surfing_guy
    the_surfing_guy

Number of posts : 409
    Registration date : 2012-08-15

Post by the_surfing_guy Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Dirtstar1 wrote:Well I've located a rebuilt used 250 inline 6 for $300 bucks. I'm going to pick it up this weekend. In the meanwhile the van stays in the driveway until its last drive on that engine taking it to the shop.

Where did you find it?
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Post by ScottyJones Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Just had time to take a look at your project so far. Very nice job keeping up your momentum, that's the key I think. Good info on that radiator, that's probably the next thing to go on my van!

Hope to meet you at the next SD Van event!
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Surfing guy, I put the word out with my chevy guys. A friend of a friend is swapping in a V8. So I get his good take out.

Scotty, nice to meet you. Glad you joined in. Do you help out at motorsports Vespa? You may know me as Red Rally Ryan.

Since the van has been quarantined to the driveway, I did add some fog lights.

I found a cool old school 20 amp push pull switch.

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Null-139

A wiper knob from a 65 nova makes a fitting addition to the panel.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Null-140

These little guys have H3 130watt bulbs in them. I'm pushing the boundary of my 20 amp switch
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Null-137

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Null-138
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:30 am

Yep, I work down here at Motorsport. Red Rally Ryan...I'll ask the guys. Small world, chances are I've probably have seen you here.

Everything's looking good! Dig those fog lamps, I was actually thinking of mounting some round amber lamps in the same spot. BTW, are those clear turn signal lenses on the front, or are they just faded? I always thought putting clear lenses there would look super clean.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks scotty, tell kevin i said hi! The fog lamps came from eBay. They have amber. http://bit.ly/158mznh the marker lights are 57 chevy reverse lights I think. http://bit.ly/10Rywhm if you mount the fog lights on the frame mounts you need to drill an access hole through the side of the Frame for the wires.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Well, after a 300 mile drive and $300. I got the engine. It was out of the car for only a couple days. Still had coolant in the block. I had to help pull the powerglide off of it.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Null-143

Looking it over close. You will notice the blue long block with orange accessories. At some point the engine was changed out like they said.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 8 Null-142
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Looks like a worthwhile trip! Congrats!

Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:45 pm

I sure hope so vanny. I'm going to flip it Over and do a rear main seal and pan gasket. Freeze plugs look new and great.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Does anyone have a preference on the carter carb or Rochester monojet?
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:23 pm

I think I remember Donivan talking about the differences on the surfingguy's thread. Try a search on either Rochester or monojet and see if you get a hit on That thread.

ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Im in the process of upgrading my carb to a two barrel weber right now. If I can get it tuned and end up liking it, I have a Carter or a Monojet that I would sell ya. Monojet came with the rebuilt motor I got and I believe it was rebuilt at the same time. I also have a rebuild kit ready and waiting for the Carter I have.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:03 am

ScottyJones wrote:Im in the process of upgrading my carb to a two barrel weber right now. If I can get it tuned and end up liking it, I have a Carter or a Monojet that I would sell ya. Monojet came with the rebuilt motor I got and I believe it was rebuilt at the same time. I also have a rebuild kit ready and waiting for the Carter I have.

I have both already also. Actually, the carter carb runs fine. Other than it sweats fuel all the time and I hate fire while I'm driving. Lol the monojet looks new. "Came on the new used engine"

I too was thinking of going the 32/36 DGV weber route. Did you get all the parts yet? I'd love to see what you did.
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:39 am

I've got it all installed, but im having trouble getting it to idle. I've narrowed it down to the idle circuit…I think I just need to do a meticulous cleaning. I bought a used one off ebay, so that's what I get for trying to save money! Seems like it should be a good upgrade once I get it dialed in. I'll keep you posted.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:26 am

Did you use the bolt on spacer? Did you go with the square air cleaner? Oh, did you put in an HEI distributor? Did you upgrade the power wire to the coil?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:10 am