VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+27
Vannin Ken
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
jfox
dix
wylee
Big W
ScottyJones
SteelyVan
Scotts_A100
VANagain
Leftcoast65
rustybug13
sandyvan
back2thewoods
donivan65
millwright71
G-Man
Digz
vanny
Wheelie
the_surfing_guy
HandiVanMan
Twinpilot001
Gothboy
Joe Van
Axlejack
Dirtstar1
31 posters

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2013-05-24

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 15 Empty Re: Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

Post by Dirtstar1 Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 15 Empty Re: Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:57 am

Well, the van officially sold to a fantastically enthusiastic couple from San Francisco. I very pleased the vans going to a great home. Miles, the new owner of the van will be driving up the coast. Hopefully he will document his 514 mile trip and the rest of the van build here.

I want to thank the friends I've made on this forum. With your help we saved another vintage vehicle from being parted out, cut up or crushed!

Keep on vanning Miles!

Here's a vid of miles first test drive. https://youtu.be/-efKupspGtg
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 15 7154FADD-44FA-440B-850B-EB32EFC7A2D7
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Congrats to the new owner.
    Dirt,are you gonna get another? There's plenty to find in your area for another.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:47 pm

I'm going to wait a bit. The money from this van is going in a fund for a new truck. I sold the van, 2 sailboats, my ktm990, and a honda st90. I've got close to what I need now. It will take me a year before I could save up for another window van. I might try my luck at the 67 chevy with a v8 or maybe the ford falcon econoline.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:17 pm

Miles is getting a nicely saved Chevy thanks to Dirtstar's valiant efforts! Thanks for the inspiration Dirtstar and somehow I have the feeling you'll be back. These vans have a crazy kinda hold on us.
    Sounds like you found a good home for her.  cheers 

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks vanny, you are a great motivator. I still want to build a micro rv out of one. That was the original plan. Sometimes life gets in the way.
    miles_smash
    miles_smash

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2014-03-07

Post by miles_smash Sun May 04, 2014 11:36 pm

Hey y'all, I'm the new owner of Dirstar's little baddass beauty! I just got back into San Francisco late last night after slowly crawling up the coast on Highway 1. The van ran like a CHAMP. Sorry to tell ya but I'm *terrible* at documenting things - I took like 3 passable pictures of the trip - so not much photographic evidence, but it was a killer time, I'll be doing it again for sure.

Here we are, at the starting line in San Diego:

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 15 Meinva10

Here she is just after arriving in Huntington Beach...I think I was just beginning to really fall in love with her...

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 15 Vanhbe10

Stopping off just north of Hearst Castle. Yep, officially smitten.

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 15 Vansof10

Aaaaand that's all for the pictures :)Told ya I'm not good at taking them!

I'm super stoked to continue this build. First thing is going to be retrofitting the radio with modern components to allow for FM and aux in or bluetooth connections. Something like this: http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm. I HAVE to have music while driving this thing. Following that, I'll probably go for replacing the current transmission with an OD transmission (dirstar kindly included a 3-speed OD with the van - thanks dude!). After that...the sky's the limit really. I haven't decided fully on what I'm going to do with it and how far. I'll keep everyone posted on the next steps.

Pleased to meet everyone! Looking forward to asking many, many questions on here Smile
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon May 05, 2014 3:34 am

Welcome to VV Miles! Glad to hear you had a nice trip and were smitten with the van. They have a way of doing that!!! Enjoy the ride.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Mon May 05, 2014 6:11 am

Awesome Miles, I was a little worried about you after I didn't hear anything more past ocean side. Glad everything went ok. I miss the little van. Unfortunately if I kept every car I ever owned I'd need a museum.

miles, what route did you take up the coast?

Ryan
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Mon May 05, 2014 8:14 am

WELCOME TO VV Miles..!!!. cheers ..Great Sports Van... I am Glad it was Kept in the Family.. Smile ..
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon May 05, 2014 4:59 pm

Welcome to VV Miles. Have fun and enjoy the journey. Your van is looking real nice. cheers 
    miles_smash
    miles_smash

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2014-03-07

Post by miles_smash Mon May 05, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks guys!

Dirstar, I took Highway 1 pretty much the entire way, trying to hug the coast as much as possible. I left on Wednesday afternoon and arrived in SF on Saturday. Nice n' slow!
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Mon May 05, 2014 9:59 pm

My favorite part of the van is that vent by your foot. It's amazing how much fresh air you get when it's open. During a long drive all those little creature comforts helps.

Glad you had a great trip.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:03 pm